View Full Version : Backing on a reel?

BrianS
08-17-2004, 02:30 PM
This may be a dumb question, but given my newb-ness with conventional, I need to ask

Can I assume backing is mono that is put under braid on a reel?
How are they connected? With a really small swivel?

I need to reline my reel and I was figuring trying braid... I just want to make sure I set it up right. If I am TOTALLY walking the wrong path, I'll just use all mono.

chris L
08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
I use a small amount of backing ( once across the spool ) . I connect the backing to braid with a uni to uni knot . then fill the reel with braid . you could use more mono and less braid if you so desire ( I know many do ) .

afterhours
08-17-2004, 03:33 PM
for economys sake, i use mono backing( big game or yozuri ) and connect with uni to uni to 150 yd shot of braid. just remember not to undergun mono lb age in relation to braid lb.

rwilhelm
08-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by afterhours
for economys sake, i use mono backing( big game or yozuri ) and connect with uni to uni to 150 yd shot of braid. just remember not to undergun mono lb age in relation to braid lb.

I thought about putting on 150 yards of braid when I first started using also but decided 300 yards was a better way to go. Reason being if you break off a couple of times you could get into the backing pretty easily. I don't want to get into the backing when fighting a fish. In the long run I think the extra cost of the 300 yard spools is worth it. Just my .02.

piemma
08-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I am not certain of the name of the knot I use to connenct mono to braid, but I think it's called a surgeons knot. 3 or 4 turns each side then you tuck the tag ends thru the middle turn that you push open. Pull tight and snip the ends close. I have never had one separate even on a 42# fish. My biggest in the surf on conventional at the Mission Bell. She ran me way into the backing.

goosefish
08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm like a lot of guys---uni to uni. I put a good bit of mono on and I wind it on real tight. I put the braid on tight also.
Sometimes the braid will dig into itself and make the drag hurky jerky. Putting the line on tight seems to help with this issue.