View Full Version : Hudson river

cheferson
08-17-2004, 06:48 PM
My sister and her husband just moved 5 minutes away from the hudson, to sleepy hollow(n. terrytown). Does anyone know if the spring fishing from shore in this area is productive? I know they spawn in the hudson, but not if that area is any good. ANyone have any knowledge about this area, maybe i can get my first keeper a lil earlier next year.:D

BigFish
08-17-2004, 06:53 PM
You can catch em'.....but I don't think you can keep em' in the Hudson. (I could be wrong!):huh: Pollution!:(

cheferson
08-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Ya , i think its all catch and release because they are all breeding fish. Looking for general areas, lures and when they are there.

justplugit
08-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Chef, if you want to fish from shore or boat in that area, Croton would be a good spot.If you can get a boat Fish just next to the southwest side of the of the Tappan Zee Bridge off the channel. If you can just fish from shore the best spot is on the west side of the river in Piermont on the Piermont pier which is really a long jetty.
Livebait[herring]is your best bet.

cheferson
08-17-2004, 07:42 PM
How far is piermont from sleepy hollow(n. terrytown)? When are the cows there from?

Mike P
08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
You can keep one fish a day 18" or better from March 16 until November 30, in the Hudson north of the GW Bridge.

Tarrytown is about 15-20 minutes from Croton. Maybe a bit more on a shopping Saturday.

cheferson
08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Croton is where the piermont pier is?

Mike P
08-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Croton's on the east side of the river--same as Tarrytown. The pier is on the opposite side, but I'm not exactly sure where.

Nils
08-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Croton Point is about 9 miles north of the Tappan Zee Bridge on the east shore...Piermont Pier is about 1 mile south of the bridge on the west shore. For more info try www.HRFA.US

valentine
08-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Croton is in Westchester County, just a 10 minute drive north from Sleepy Hollow. Piermont is on the other side of the river in Rockland County. As you head west over the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Rockland County side you can see the Piermont pier on your left. There are lots of townhouses built out onto the pier.You can't miss it.I believe you need a special permit to be able to park your car out on the pier. Otherwise you can park your car elsewhere and walk out.
If you want to fish in Croton, try Croton Point Park. Lots of shore access there.Depending on the time of year, you may have to pay an access fee.
Personally, I've never had the kind of success in the Hudson that I hear so much about, but then I'm not much of a bait fisherman, and bait is what I see most fisherman use.The spring striper run in the Hudson gets most of the attention, but I know guys that claim to catch stripers in the dead of winter...through the ice.
Good Luck!
Valentine

MakoMike
08-18-2004, 07:34 AM
There is a lot of good shore fishing on the Tarrytown side of the river. But it takes local knowledge. The Croton-Harmon line of the metro noth & amtrack RR runs right along the river through that area and, if you know where to park you can access to the river in long stretches by crossing the RR tracks. RR securuty may be a problem since 9/11.

cheferson
08-18-2004, 01:06 PM
What months are the best?

MakoMike
08-18-2004, 02:46 PM
May

chris L
08-18-2004, 03:01 PM
terrytown ? hex hex hex !
I worked for IBM up there in research and development
hex hex hex

1 fish over 18" above the tappen z bridge . spring is best !