View Full Version : Avet reel

tlapinski
08-19-2004, 05:08 PM
i picked up the avet sx reel not too long ago. i finally got a chance the other night to test her out on some fish. overall, i really liked how the reel performed. i put it on a 1089 spiral wrapped conventional and did some jigging from shore in CT. it casts sweet (two aftermarket mags installed) and the drag was super smooth! i really like the "waterproof" design. water will get in to the body, but i think either the drag or bearings or both are sealed. the lever drag concept is a little tricky at first, but after a few casts, i was in the groove. i may give a larger one a try next season. this will definatley be my go to shore jigging set up. any one else put some real time in with the reel?

Peter Lajoie
08-19-2004, 05:14 PM
I also had a chance to use them on fluke this week toby and I think they are a great reel...My uncle uses them on all his rods on his boats....Now its time for me to wrap another conv rod and throw one on it in the surf....:)

gf2020
08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
I have a new SX too and I was wondering if the fact that it "clicks" when casting is normal?

There doesn't seem to be a way to "turn #^&#^&#^&#^& the clicker, or maybe I'm not doing something right.

DaveS
08-20-2004, 11:38 AM
I just cant picture using a Lever-drag from shore. How did that reel cast compared to say an Abu 7000?

tlapinski
08-20-2004, 12:14 PM
GF2020 - i forget about the clicker after a few casts. it really isn't that bad. much quieter than a penn 704.

DaveS - i thought the same thing about a lever drag. the smoothness of this drag is amazing! it only takes a couple minutes to get used to the lever system. the reel was magged, so it casts like a dream. i was using it again last night. my friend had his 7000. i switched to the 7000 for a couple casts while he tried the avet out. the 7000 felt clunky. i couldn't wait to go back to the avet. i am not sure if i would use the model i have as a plugging reel as i like to have a bigger reel for that. i will probably grab a larger size to try next year. the SX is skinier than a 6500 size abu, but i think it has a greater line capacity. it won't replace my fleet of 7000's, but it will have a place in the arsenal.