View Full Version : Striper Newbie

jbapinoy
08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi guys I'm just new to fishing and I am looking for a place that I could catch a striper early in the morning like 6 to 8am this weekend. Do I need a bait or just lures coz I have atom, torm and rapala I can use. I would appreciate it if someone could help me on this. thanks.

BrianS
08-20-2004, 09:10 AM
What area you from...

The canal is your friend in most cases....
The jetty at the plymouth boat ramp......
The Wareham river behind M+D's is pretty safe (in case you are a real beginner)

jbapinoy
08-20-2004, 09:18 AM
I don't have a boat, which Canal was it I live in Riverside RI I tried places near my area like Bristol, Barrington and Sabin Point but no luck. Where exactly in Plymouth co'z I'm not familiar with the place.

BrianS
08-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Ahhh Rhode Island....
I can give you sort of directions... you might want to try off Colt St. Park.. I have seen people fish off the shore around there... There is also a bridge over the river right there in Barrington.

(I apologize to anyone if I am giving up there spots, but these seem to be very common and safe places for a new guy to fish)

and ooops... rereading your second post.. looks like I told you to go where youve already been! sorry!

jbapinoy
08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
can somebody give me a PM co'z I'm planning to go fishing tomorrow morning and I hate to go home empty handed. Can you help this newbie please...

BrianS
08-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Just zip down to the cape cod canal.

I am sure there are places that might be closer, but the canal is the old standby!

jbapinoy
08-20-2004, 01:43 PM
What's the best to use on that area frozen bait or lure(plugs, jigs, spoon)?

BrianS
08-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Well, pretty much anywhere has the potential to catch fish.

If you havent been there before.. Go down twords the RailRoad bridge and just walk along the path till you find a spot that looks good to you.

Try to get there for the time a couple hours before during and after the change of tide

jbapinoy
08-20-2004, 02:46 PM
What's the best to use on that area frozen bait or lure(plugs, jigs, spoon)?

BrianS
08-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Get some mackeral or eels.

jbapinoy
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks a lot man...your a big help:happy: :happy: :happy:

Newboater
08-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Read every post. You guys are ' Sweeeeeet '

I'm probably taking the 'money pit' out tomorrow after water/shifting tests.

Thanks - I got sum clams and maceral right in the fridge.

Wh00t !!!

Sarge

scoobe
08-20-2004, 11:37 PM
I would NOT send a newbie off to the ditch unguided for the first time. That is just a recipe for headaches and could turn someone away from fishing.