View Full Version : Releasing fish...

TBone
08-24-2004, 11:11 AM
After witnessing a few high flying bass acts off the rocks this weekend, I started to think of the damage the impact into the water these bass receive when tossed off rocks and that there must be a pretty high mortality rate of fish released this way after being stressed out by a fight instead of being eased into the water. I try my best to get as close to the water as possible and revive the fish (no matter what size) before I let them go...but sometimes with a high surf and tricky terrain it's tough. What does everyone feel is the best method in this situation? I guess it applies to mostly Rhody and some of the islands.

basswipe
08-24-2004, 11:21 AM
I just can't stop goofin' on your avatar.I can't stop laughing.

Anyways I release as gently as possible once they're revived.

richs
08-24-2004, 12:45 PM
yeah, sometimes you're over the water a bit and it doesn't make sense to risk your neck for a small fish. I wait for a wave to come in so they have as deep water as possible and do a cradle head first toss so they angle in without a belly flop.

Nebe
08-24-2004, 03:11 PM
T-bone, what I do at you know where is to slide them down the rocks with an out going wave.. its really the only way to release them without the olympic bass toss approach.

or.. just keep them :devil:

goosefish
08-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Tim--I normally carry a plastic chute or slide. The chute is like the cement mixer chute, but a lot longer and made of a good light PVC material. When I land a fish I simply wet the chute with water and slide the fish safely out to sea.

redlite
08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
You don't implement the ancient hammer throw technique where you hold em by the tail, spin around really fast, and hurl em out to the deep water?:smash: That way you don't have to get too close to the edge or get your athletic shoes wet:smash:
Have actually seen this quite a few times.:doh:

Nebe
08-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by goosefish
Tim--I normally carry a plastic chute or slide. The chute is like the cement mixer chute, but a lot longer and made of a good light PVC material. When I land a fish I simply wet the chute with water and slide the fish safely out to sea.

:laughs:

MAC
08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Who releases them? I keep them all....

Nebe
08-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Its a lot easier on my back if I release bass in small pieces... first the head, then the frame. :D

ThrowingTimber
08-24-2004, 04:57 PM
:laughs:

MAC
08-24-2004, 05:27 PM
I should re-phrase that....I release....the racks:laughs:

cheferson
08-24-2004, 07:27 PM
i practice filet and release:D

sportsman
08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheferson
[B]i practice filet and release:D

Your killen me!:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

thefishingfreak
08-24-2004, 09:29 PM
i use the "olimpic bass toss approach"{with scoring}.for the little guys.

or the "release the rack technique".for the big guys.
if i'm hungry.
mike

TBone
08-25-2004, 07:39 AM

Goose, don't you think maybe some rapelling equipment would be a little easier to carry with you?

Surfcastinglife
08-25-2004, 08:13 AM
with a little seriousness in mind :P (sorry!!) if u gut hook a small fish what do u guys do? release with hook? or attempt to remove quickly or cut the line and release with hooks?

tlapinski
08-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by goosefish
Tim--I normally carry a plastic chute or slide. The chute is like the cement mixer chute, but a lot longer and made of a good light PVC material. When I land a fish I simply wet the chute with water and slide the fish safely out to sea. that chute hasn't been seeing much use latey, has it........ :bshake:

Mike P
08-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Realeasing decent sized fish from rocks that are getting pounded is probably the most dangerous thing we do---both for ourselves and the fish. It's also one of the most productive times to fish those places, and therein lies the dilemma.

I don't like to preach, but if I'm fishing in those circumstances, I don't release big fish. I keep my limit and then rack the rod. Sometimes you can walk the fish to a sheltered spot to land and release it with safety for yourself and without having the waves batter the fish against the rocks while you're climbing down to land it. If you can do it, that's the way to go. If not, well, it's your choice, but mine is to keep my table fish and move to another spot.

PurpelNoon
08-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Not a bad idea, the whole chute thing. Here is a sling that carp fisherman use in Europe to assist releasing fish without touching them. Oh, and it also functions as a scale so you dont hang a big fish by his lips(Boga) and potentially, again potentially harm it. It is designed to keep the fish snug so it doesnt fall/flop out and you can slide it out one end into the water. Weeeeeeeeee!