View Full Version : Weighted sluggos

cheferson
08-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Anyone know how steve mckenna weights his sluggos? Ive been wanting to try this out, he slays them with these. Looking for something to use once i run outta eels.
Thanks

Nebe
08-24-2004, 07:43 PM
He rigs them like you would rig a rigged eel. He uses Gamakatsu octopus hooks.. the one on the head is a bit larger than the stinger on the tail...I forget the sizing. He weights them with the lunker city pencil weights... he also fishes 2 at a time... like a teaser setup.

I'd use 8" Ledgerunners instead... they last longer.

In The Surf
08-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Interesting, I was rather curious about that myself.

RIJIMMY
08-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I'd love to see a pic. I would think that would diminish the action but who knows.

cheferson
08-24-2004, 07:55 PM
What size weights for average surf? SO he through wires them? Seems like a lotta work for one bluefish to douche.

riverrat2
08-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Why through wire them? Like cheferson said seems like way to much work for a few fish on one slug-o. I think they would probably fish just as well with a 2oz jig head. Or a 3in nail in the head of it, and just rig it like you would a plastic worm for large mouth bass. But what do I know.

rizzo
08-24-2004, 11:16 PM
I talked to the man himself about this. He uses a 9" sluggo, either black or black with silver glitter in it. Uses an 8/0 gamakatsu livebait for the head hook and a 5/0 octopus for the tail. Rigged with dacron, tied to the back hook and half hitched up the head hook. The head hook is super glued in and the half hitches give the plastic something to grip on. The are 2 nails stuck side by side in the head and then one in the tail

He uses a relatively short pole and fishes it like a rigged eel, with the pole held vertical or off to the side. Hes done quite a bit of testing with the lure vs. live eels. The results are always very close, both getting the same results. The rigged sluggo has great action, ive tried it myself. I'm still sold on fishing live eels as much as possible though. He said the biggest fish taken on the set up though was 47#s, and hes taken fish to 30#s so far.... Hope this helps....

cheferson
08-25-2004, 12:33 AM
So the sluggois not through wired? Its just outside of the plastic?

tlapinski
08-25-2004, 06:11 AM
put an 8/0 O'Shaughnessy in the head. wrap about 1/4 inch of thread around the middle of the hook, and put a dab of super glue on before you slide the hook into the body. the weight of the hook is generally enough. i have taken bass into the 30#'s on this set up. for some added weight, occasionally i will add nails, or you can use the lead "nails" slug-go produces.

personally, i like Ledgerunners better. :love:

check out Rich Russo's article on the CSA site. Rigging Instructions (http://www.connecticutsurfcasters.com/articles/articles_links/sluggoart.html)

rwilhelm
08-25-2004, 08:19 AM
You can also use a jighead, which is easier to rig. Depending on how strong the current is will depend how much weight you want.

Joe
08-25-2004, 10:01 AM
McKenna....what's he know? ;)
http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Steve_McKenna/Steve_McKenna_files/image007.jpg
He told me he has not used a live eel in quite a while. He's pretty thorough so, if he's going through the trouble of rigging them a certain way, figure its not for catching blues.
He told me he was going to show me - I'll take some pictures and post when he does.
If you are interested he's doing the regular shore trips through SRI.
He'll show you first hand how to rig and fish them. With the money you'll save on eels it would pay for the trip eventually.
His contact info is on the website.
RI Surfmaster Steve McKenna story from On The Water Mag (http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Steve_McKenna/RI_Surfmaster_Steve_McKenna.htm)

spence
08-25-2004, 10:28 AM
What's a Sluggo rigged like this weigh?

And to Cheferson's question. Is the dacron run through the plastic?

-spence

Roger
08-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Joe
He told me he has not used a live eel in quite a while. He's pretty thorough so, if he's going through the trouble of rigging them a certain way, figure its not for catching blues.
He told me he was going to show me - [/URL]

He told me the same thing and showed me the single hook setup he uses most. He starts with a large limerick hook and straightens the shank. I don't recall the size, but when straight it is 3.3 inches long with a .75' hook gap.

He used thread and super glue on the hook shank and inserts the hook through the nose and out the underside.That's it.

If he wants to get deeper, he uses the largest lunker city pencil weights, up to 4 of them, two in the head section and two in the tail.

Nice guy and helpful. I didn't know who he was until I saw the pics and read the story.

Joe
08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Ok -
Maybe the double rig is for early season when you have a lot of tail pullers around...
He's behind the counter at Quaker Lane bait most days - if you go when they are not slamming busy I'm quite sure he'll show you like he did Roger.
He does not own a computer -

rizzo
08-25-2004, 10:45 AM
cheferson-it is wired through with dacron, you need a rigging needle made out of a coat hanger or something like that. Ive been using left over spiderwire stealth 65# test doubled over and its been working fine.

I just weighed one that i made, roughly 1.5oz depending on what you use for weight.

Nebe
08-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by spence
What's a Sluggo rigged like this weigh?

And to Cheferson's question. Is the dacron run through the plastic?

-spence

yes through the plastic.

You can also use powerpro braid doubled back on itself a few times

probably weighs no more thatn 3 oz..

cheferson
08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Im gonna have to go over there and harass steve for a tutorial.