View Full Version : Kits from njtackle

cheferson
08-24-2004, 08:35 PM
WAs wondering if these kits were any good? I have wanted to make some of my own wood but all the equipment is a lotta $$$$$$ , thought these might be a good start. Whats your guys thoughts on them? ANy other kits available anywhere else, i know salty used to , but i think he has stoppped.

Codfather4
08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
I would stay away from the swimmer kits because they have no action to them at all. But I give the popper and the needlefish a thumbs up:D

Striperknight
08-24-2004, 08:56 PM
The NJtackle is a good place to start. A lot of builders started with their kits. Send Salty a e-mail also. His plugs come with extra grain;).

Charleston
08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I just started building these very kits myself. I can say that they were very good learning tools for me. The price is right and the quality is very good. For a few bucks a pop what have you got to loose.
BTW, the swimmers have very good action if you tweak them alittle.
Here's a tip; besure to sand well and besure you allow plenty of drying time for the sealer.

Diamond Tackle
08-24-2004, 10:50 PM
I make all the kits for NJT, as well as all the lips and some of the other hardware.
We do have New Kits coming within days. A Danny 2oz in Red & White cedar will be the first. This kit is done and it swims nice. Also I am working on some slow sinking needles, A Fat boy, Surfster, and some big Maple swimmers. By end of year I hope to have at least 10 new kits finished. The birch makati style kits are being phased out as we are almost completely out of the blanks anyway. As stated they are a good deal for the $ and easy to work with. It’s a great way for a beginner to get the feel for building, cause not everyone can buy a lathe and start cutting AYC on their first day. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bernzy
08-24-2004, 11:57 PM
The Kits , blanks and components from NJ Tackle have proven to me to be a great value and a good way to get started.

Bernzy

cheferson
08-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Sweet, im gonna buy a bunch this winter to keep myself busy!! Tinman any dates on when the new ones will be available, before x-mas???

Diamond Tackle
08-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by cheferson
Sweet, im gonna buy a bunch this winter to keep myself busy!! Tinman any dates on when the new ones will be available, before x-mas???

Yes, well before xmas. We wanted to get all the hardware in place first. Then the tooling and jig setups for lip slots& drilling etc. The wood (blanks) is the last stage. I think we are ready.
I agree ,Plug Building is a great winter project. Keeps me out fo trouble , thats for sure.

spence
08-25-2004, 07:51 AM
I agree, the NJTackle kits are a tremendous value. I've built over a dozen plugs off Salty's blanks, not cheap but you get what you pay for.

I don't intend on buying a lathe anytime soon, so I'll probably continue to use both. I've also been making needles from hardwood dowel stock shaped on a drill press, which works as well. This winter I'm making darters on the drill press, should be interesting :wall:

-spence

Jigman
08-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by spence
This winter I'm making darters on the drill press, should be interesting :wall:

Dowels work fine for those too. Might be able to find some birch ones, even better. Set up a jig for doing the angle cuts and you'll save a bunch of time and frustration, plus you are more likely to get a working darter.

Jigman

ThrowingTimber
08-25-2004, 12:08 PM
The kits are very helpful :D

JHABS
08-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Buy all your GOODIES from the TINMAN............ :btu:

Diamond Tackle
08-25-2004, 12:54 PM
That means a lot to me Mr. Habs. I am truly humbled.
Thanks !!!!!:thanks:

spence
08-25-2004, 03:30 PM
He said GOODIES Tin, I think he was referring to sodas and snacks :smash:

-spence

Nebe
08-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Spence, remember your always welcome to use my stuff this winter.... lathe, table saw, band saw, etc.....

just bring a beer or 6.....for after were done :buds:

spence
08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Too kind. I think you're just trying to ho some plugs :smash: :D

-spence

Nebe
08-25-2004, 08:06 PM
no...... baby clothes :devil:

Pete F.
08-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey I have 5 kids. Lots of slightly used baby clothes. Trade for plugs?:D
Pete

Jigman
08-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Tinman makes the best lips out there :kewl:

Jigman

Bernzy
08-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Jigman
Tinman makes the best lips out there :kewl:

Jigman

Without question, THE BEST!
Their service ain't to shabby either :D

Bernzy

JHABS
08-26-2004, 10:08 PM
The TINMAN can give you LIP.................. :btu: :jump: :) :happy:

doyle007
08-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Tinman, do you know when the njtackle site will list the new kits, like the Dani2, etc. I just checked, and only the popper and swimmer are listed.

Thanks.
Doyle

Diamond Tackle
08-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Doyle,
I gotta get Norb to take some pics. This coming week is it. There will be no more delays. Like I said, the Danny is completely done, the others are right behind it. These will be more advanced kits than what you see there now as they are made from special wood like white cedar,and rock maple.
I will even build some of them(paint and all) for myself this winter which should be pretty entertaining.:D
Trust me when I say you dont want to be anywhere in the room with me and a paint gun.:scream:

Thanks again

JD