View Full Version : One stick..

Nebe
08-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Thinking about getting a new stick... a 10 footah.

If you guys were to only have one 10 foot rod what would it be? right now my only 10 footer is a batson 1208. Its nice, but I struggle throwing big stuff like pikies and big habs pluggage...

oh and its gotta be a lami:D

I also have a 1084 for the light stuff, so my 10 footah doesnt have to throw the light stuff....

any suggestions?

mikecc
08-25-2004, 06:09 PM
GSB1201M

goosefish
08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
That is the one and you know it.

spence
08-25-2004, 06:44 PM
I thought about this this spring. I ended up with a 1205 conventional and I just bought a 1204 spinner. If I'm fishing the usual haunts in Little Compton/Westport with a wind in my face I'll use the 1204. If it's rough out or I'm fishing down by Eben the 1205 is better. I know that's not one stick, but I don't have a rod like the 1084 as Eben does.

Curious how the 120m is different from the 1205. I didn't even really consider it.

-spence

Nebe
08-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by goosefish
That is the one and you know it.

Yes I know! But i thought that i might 'pole' the audience:hihi:

now I have to struggle with spinning or conventional:smash:

i'm leaning to the Conventional side:eek:

Thanks Mike for confirming my choice:D:

goosefish
08-25-2004, 06:55 PM
I've got a 7000 with your name on it.

Nebe
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
:drool:

Need plugs? :laughs:

goosefish
08-25-2004, 07:09 PM
the thing is that guys who throw spinning with this blank can cast bombers and such. I get into some trouble with lighter plugs. A 704 or a van stall, may give you more weight range. I may be able to help you out with a van stall later this winter;)

Fire up the lathe................

Bill L
08-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Whats up with the manufacturer's rating for these blanks, the 1201L is rated 2-6 oz, the 1201M is 4-12 oz. Seems like the 1201L would be nicer for plugging :confused:

Nebe
08-25-2004, 07:20 PM
I dunno... the L is pretty whippy...I dont think i'd throw something large on that blank.

I think i'll have it wrapped spiral:eek:

spence
08-25-2004, 07:21 PM
I think the L is more light plugging and the M more heavy plugging. The Lami ratings are completely wack.

I'd do conventional on the 120m Eben. Spinning in great for the smaller stuff, but when you want to toss a 4 ounce needle that rod with the 7000 would be sweet :happy:

-spence

mikecc
08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
don't know where lamiglas got the ratings. seems the only blanks they rate properly is the XRA rods:smash:

Should have said rate closer to the actual lure range

Nebe
08-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Even the Xra's are over rated... the 1084 is rated to 4 oz and theres no way I'd chuck a 4 oz plug with that.... 2 3/8ths is the sweet spot. (super strike poppers)

NIB
08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Screw conventional,No range.An who needs the birds nests.I like to fish with a wind in my face.Ain't workin then.I have at least 20 conventional rods an I don't throw a plug wit any of them u wanna liveline fine, throw jigs fine, bait good but not plugs.leave that to ron arra.i think u have way more control with spinnig also a big fish comes in towards that big rock ur done also forget ten Ft. an go up with a 11.eiyther a gsb 132 or a Xra 132 2.so's u can reach the big boys.there will be times u wish u could cast 20 yds further.Why torture urself.I started usin a 11 ftr. 3 yrs ago an I'll never look back.I have a xra 132-1 thats a great rod throws bombers to 3 oz bottle plugs the sweet spot just over 2 oz. I lay off a bit wit the 3 oz.rs. I also have a gsb 132 1M thats a greak stick a little heavier castin range. but i wish i had the XRA132-2 I think i will get one soon hey Mike rap me one I'll be up there soon.the Arra's seem to be more parobolic have greater lure weight range an cast better.I seen the one mike rapped for the contest man that was a sweet rap.If U intend to stay wit the sissy 10 ft size I would say 1204 or 1205 bein as u already have one for lighter pluggage i don't like my 120m u can have it it seems to be in the middle of all my rods an gets the least amout of play time.Also I had a 132 1L an folded it in half castin a 2.5 needle one night. so forget that.So whataya gonna do.

Nebe
08-25-2004, 08:01 PM
hmmm thats a thought NIB... so many choices out there:smash:

gotta say that the conventionals cast further though... no?

spence
08-25-2004, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't do it for distance alone. They are lighter and easier to cast heavier plugs IMHO.

-spence

Nebe
08-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah the weight factor is important for me... I'm very mobile when i fish and the weight of my batson teamed with a 704 really bogs me down...

NIB
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
I'll go against any conventional guru wit a three once pencil popper into a wind.No for plugs they don't cast further forget that bs its a pain in the arse.Trust me on this or u'll be sellin it by next yr this time.

spence
08-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Eben
Yeah the weight factor is important for me... I'm very mobile when i fish and the weight of my batson teamed with a 704 really bogs me down...
You should try the 1205 with the Abu 7000 HSN :happy: light and it has balls.

NIB, I'm one of those new to conventional weanies that get frustrated every so often. I do see the benefits of conventional and for me distance isn't even a consideration. The rigs are lighter, more leverage and easier to cast the big plugs.

-spence

goosefish
08-25-2004, 09:55 PM
I cast conventionals 100% of the time and I have a lot of fun doing it. However my next rod will be the 1201m wrapped spinner. That way I'II have much more of a weight selection in the plug bag. I fished tonight with a 1201L and a 525mag. I hooked into a real nice fish that bent the pole in a U, ran off a bunch of line and wrapped me in a lobster pot. On another long cast with the lure down 25' I hooked another cow that pulled plenty of drag and the hooks pulled. Fishing mono in these types of depths calls for a stout rod and, maybe, I hate to say it--braid. I would've brought the 1201m but I wanted to cast super strikes so I grabbed the 1201L. With a spinner it wouldn't matter, the super strikes would be in the bag along with the larger plugs. Bringing two rods around gets pretty old and I tend not to do it. For night in and night out plugging a spinning rod makes more sense to me; but if you want a conventional then have one wrapped up---you may never go back again, once you get use to a reel facing up.

Nebe
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Krispy

What are you looking to do with this new rod, applications?

Krispy, I need a rod that I can whip a giant Pikie out as far as I could throw a danny on my 1208. I want a rod that can really settle in to the 4-5 oz range and not make me feel nervous about snapping it. My 1208 batson just makes me feel a little nervous with anything over 3 oz..

NIB
08-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I work hard for a livin so holding a fishin pole is nothing to me.I never consider weight as a factor.The tool weighs what it weighs. I fish allnighters as a rule when i go out i get tired but I would never blame my equipment its not unusual for me to have a bag on long walks that weighs 15-25 lbs an i rarely take it off....I don't see how more leverage comes into play with a reel for the most part from the surf I use the rod for leverage an havin it in my right (stronger)hand is better for me.......As for casting better I would bet in the corse of a night Ur gonna have ur flareups an its gonna cost valuable time maybe 3-5 -10 casts u never know what ur missin...i used to throw jigs in the rivers buy me with conventional I thought it was cool,but mostly because of the line diameter i was usin 50-80 lb braids. but since i went to the spinning rods I am way more productive.I can let line out to drop the lure just as easy with my 706 as I could with any of my abu's or penns....Allright why do Slip,Newell Guy thats right Newell Guy, Jim Powers an many others Including Myself use spinning In the canal with 3-5 oz. jigs cause its easier.An the tackle doesnt get any stouter.I tried both ways for me Its a no brainer.

In The Surf
08-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Based on what you want to throw the 1201M is what you want. Lami's are over rated on the lure weight and I would bring it down a good ounce to two. I have the 1201L and I'm very pleased with the rod and feel comfortable throwing 3 and wouldn't be afraid to throw a little under 4 oz. I've put a good bow in it on some large fish in fairly rough conditions at places like BT, the Avenues, SP and PJ and it handled it well. Haven't been bent into a U or anything like that and hopefully won't. It can throw under an ounce but maybe not with the efficiency you'd expect. I've held the 1201M and 1205 but went with the 1201L because I felt it was the most versatile. However I feel the 1201M is next on my list too.

theSURF121
08-26-2004, 05:15 AM
GSB120L as far as ten foot'rs. Although, I'll take the GSB132L over that.This will be in the 3/4 to 3 oz range. Anything more than that and you're looking at the "M"'s.

RIROCKHOUND
08-26-2004, 06:13 AM
Get the M papa E...

tlapinski
08-26-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by goosefish
That is the one and you know it. ding ding ding!

Eben, i'll be down this weekend. if you want to meet up and throw my 1201M you can. i also have a 9' :eek: that would be perfect. the M is THE blank for what you want to do. the only time i have not thrown it is when i get tired of throwing the same thing night after night. i have 2, built one for Rich, and have 3 guys that want them built over the winter for them and they all pretty much fish where we fish. this was another Seawolf recommended rod for me, so it's gotta be right!

Saltheart
08-26-2004, 07:33 AM
I think the Lami Arra XRA 1205. Too bad you didn't get the Allstar 1208 in the first place. It handles more than the Batson 1208. Only slightly higher price. The price on the XRA 1205 is high compared to the batsons but its much better.

DZ
08-26-2004, 07:38 AM
One more option for you Eben. I have the GSB120L. Great rod but just didn't cut it when I wanted to throw eels... until I took one inch off the tip. Now at 9'11" it is the most versatile rod I carry - it can throw eels, darters, big needles and half ounce
5 1/2" redfins with ease. By removing just one inch it changed the rod completely, it now has more backbone for fishing boulder fields. The GSB 120M in my opinion would be a great conventional stick but forget about casting small plugs any distance with it. Just a note of caution - when removing sections of a blank do it in small increments like a 1/4 inch at a time then check the action. Remove too much tip and you'll have a boat rod in a hurry.

DZ

tlapinski
08-26-2004, 07:39 AM
i would advise away from the Arra. too much $$ for what you are getting compared to the M. everyone i have spoken to that owns both end up using the M more.

the M will throw small stuff. i still don't get it when guys say it won't. :confused: what the hell are you trying to throw?

spence
08-26-2004, 08:07 AM
I think Eben's post should have been entitled "two sticks" since he already has a 1084.

For me it's what two sticks can I have in the car to pick between the best one for the conditions I'm going to fish, and have whichever stick be versatile enough for the night. I can't imagine needing to throw a Mambo Minnow and a giant pikie on the same night that often, but it would be nice if both sticks could toss your average eel well. Paired with the 1084, I would think the m, 1205 etc... would all be fine.

For me I think it's the 1204 and 1205. One spinner the other conventional. I'll use the 1204 more over here in Little Compton/Westport and the 1205 more for Beavertail/Gannset.

-spence

DZ
08-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Lap,
My point to Eben is to go with the L, if he doesn't like it he can make it an M by taking off some tip. If you start with the M you can't go the other way. I know you can throw small stuff with the M, (I can throw 1/2 ounce plugs with a boat rod,) it's efficiency that I'm looking for, an all around stick in the 10 foot range. There's a reason lami made an L and an M - for different applications. I've fished a long time in the surf and do a lot of the type of fishing that Eben likes, I just want him to make an informed decision.
DZ

spence
08-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Just curious, does it void the warranty on Lami blanks to cut them?

-spence

Nebe
08-26-2004, 08:34 AM
awe shucks you guys are giving me great advice! DZ, how ya been? you catch anything with that green needle yet?:D

Last nigt I thought long and hard about what i want and I still come back to spinning.. so I htink i'm going to hunt for a black VS 250 to throw on it.. My builder has also told me that the guides i have on my batson are 30% heavier than another kind of guides so I'm going to use those... Nib, trust me, if you saw what I did all day for work you would know that i can lift a fishing pole so while weight isnt that big of a deal, it does help...

Its lookng like I'm going to go with the 1201m in spinning....all black with a scup sticker above the upper cork grip :D

hopefully i can get this built before I go to BI for a week in October:humpty:

spence
08-26-2004, 08:46 AM
What's the other kind? Chrome Perfection :laughs: :laughs: :smash:

-spence

Steve K
08-26-2004, 09:11 AM
If I could only have one 10' it would be the 1201L. It is the most versatile rod I own. I would not characterize it as whippy but I would not regularly throw 4 to 5oz with it either.

tlapinski
08-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Its lookng like I'm going to go with the 1201m in spinning....all black with a scup sticker above the upper cork grip :D scup rods use foam. i thought you would have known that from all your other rods. :eek:

spence
08-26-2004, 09:43 AM
You should use 2 decals, a scup chasing a striper :laughs:

jkswimmer
08-26-2004, 09:54 PM
My two cents. I have a GSB 132 1L cut up from the bottom 12 in. This makes it heavier than the 10ft stock. Throwing big eels and 3oz plugs isnot a problem, with a spinning set up.By the way,this rod has a med. soft action.

SeaWolf
08-26-2004, 10:57 PM
although the 1201L is a nice, versatile blank, it's far from being able to throw plugs over 3 ozs. i would never throw over 3 w/ mine. you are asking for trouble. it sounds like you plan on throwing over 3 ounces, so the 1201m might be a better option. if you plan on throwing plugs over 4 ounces, such as giant jointed pikies, you better learn to throw a casting rod and nothing is better than glass there. lami sb1213m is a good choice. the 1208-type blanks from many of the manufacturers are nice blanks, but not the best for heavy plugs in their stock length.

Tattoo
08-27-2004, 06:10 AM
lami sb1213m is a good choice

...and a damn good choice it is. Set up as a conventional you can really lay into it when throwing eels and not have them fly off, and it has enough back bone to land just about anything your going to hook in these parts.

For spinning......Arra 1205 hands down, but then again I dont fish alot of small plugs.

RIROCKHOUND
08-27-2004, 08:21 AM
In my experience,
Arra = Fragile... but then again I'm not gentle (not that I'm implying you are light on your tackle mike...) heard you boys found some fish before the storm.... :D

SeaWolf
08-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Tattoo
...but then again I dont fish alot of small plugs.

scupper!

Mike P
08-27-2004, 09:00 AM
I've also found that cutting an 11' GSB L or M blank a foot from the butt makes for a stiffer rod than the stock 10' equivalent blank. My 132 1M cut a foot from the butt will snap my 120 1M in a tug of war, I suspect.

spence
08-27-2004, 09:07 AM
I really like the 1213m, but I couldn't see casting it all night. How often do I throw a plug the 1205 can't cast? Not that often...

-spence

tlapinski
08-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by spence
I really like the 1213m, but I couldn't see casting it all night. that is a sick rod! i threw that thing all last weekend. nothing like a glass rod, a big conventional, and 30# mono to whoop some bass! i like being able to lift a 20# bass straight out of the water with the rod, too. it really helps in nasty surf!

Nebe
08-27-2004, 09:53 AM
i have an11 foot glass lami... its one of the honey blanks... i dont know the #'s on it..... the thing is a bazooka, and i cant use braid on it, if I do, the braid always seems to wrap around the guides while I cast due to the pole moving around like a CB antenna...great rod though... maybe I'll cut that one down this winter to 10 ft and teach myself to wrap.... i was going to sell it this fall anyway as i rarely use it.

Mike P
08-27-2004, 10:44 AM
As good as the 11' honey Lamis are for whipping fish, they can't hold a candle to the 121 3M. Last time I used mine for chinking in the Canal, I got a few "wow, I can't believe you got that fish in so quick out of that current" from the guys fishing next to me". The 121 isn't a 136 3M missing a foot of butt--it's a whole different rod (size 14 tip as opposed to a 12 on the 136) and a smaller butt diameter. Much stiffer, and it shouldn't oscillate as much on the cast and cause braid to wrap around the guide fett if you go spinning with it.

The other killer Ditch rod I have is an old S-glass 2F that was cut 10" from the tip. Light as a feather and I've brought 30 pounders to the rocks inside of 5 minutes. Put a Newell 235 or 229 on it and you can fish it all night without feeling it in your joints.

I also have the 1208 All Star. I've never felt it was overmatched casting 4 oz jigs, but lifting them off the bottom in 40' of water makes it "weep" a little too much for my liking. It should be fine for tossing 3 oz plugs tho, and it's substantially cheaper than a 120 1M or an XRA 1205. I agree that the Batson SW 1208 might not be ideal for big plugs, but the SU version should do it without breaking a sweat.

zacs
08-27-2004, 10:59 AM
I just can't help myself......

Mike P,

I've never been chinking in the canal before, can you please advise a good shop where I can pick up some chinamen?

Thanks a million

Zac (d#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g)

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

chris L
08-27-2004, 11:48 AM
china town in boston

Mike P
08-27-2004, 11:56 AM
:laughs: :o :bl2: :jump1: :uhoh:

spence
08-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Eben, I'd make sure you cut the foot off the tip...should cut down on that flex problem :smash:

1213m is great. Throws bait, jigs, big wood, snakes and pole vaulting to that far away rock :uhoh:

-spence

NIB
08-30-2004, 06:54 AM
I have a 121 3m I use for jiggin here in NJ can't explain what it is bout this rod but i love it it can whip a fish in no time an the parabolic nature of the glass keeps the hooks in the fish better.Just wish it would cast further.one spot i use 2-3 oz.bucktails an the rod kinda folds while casting my 11' grafite goes the extra 30 yds.What blank can i get to 11 ft to handle this weight an cast further.........I don't plan on chinking with this rod as I am mostly a lure guy.:D

BasicPatrick
08-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Ok guys

I am starting to do some research myself into expanding the weaponry this winter....

I currently have the...

Amtac 1209 Spinning (custom)(Heavy Plugs & Jigs)
XSRA 1204-2 Spinning (factory)(Eeels & light stuff on the beaches)
XRA 1205 Conv (custom)(Using for everything as I luv ut bad)

Have been thingking the XRA 126 Conv....but now you guys have me thinking

What is next in the arsenal???

What is the true difference between the 1201M & the 1213

any advice is appreciated

btw...I am building these myself...at least trying

Slipknot
08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
I have a bsb1213m also NIB, it's my backup canal jigging stick, and my only 10' plugging spinning rod. I love it but it is heavy.

NIB
08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Go build a cabinet. :D u need another rod.U need CS to build u a 1322 asap.

Nebe
08-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by BasicPatrick
Ok guys

I am starting to do some research myself into expanding the weaponry this winter....

I currently have the...

Amtac 1209 Spinning (custom)(Heavy Plugs & Jigs)
XSRA 1204-2 Spinning (factory)(Eeels & light stuff on the beaches)
XRA 1205 Conv (custom)(Using for everything as I luv ut bad)

What is the true difference between the 1201M & the 1213

any advice is appreciated

btw...I am building these myself...at least trying

patrick I have a XRA-1084 and its the sweetest 9 footer i've ever used for light plugging... seems like you got the heavy stuff covered-

spence
08-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by BasicPatrick
Ok guys

I think the 1213m is closer to the 126 than the 120m, at least when I bought a 1213m that's what I was comparing it to. Unless you plan to toss heavier jigs or some bait I would think the 1205 would do most everything else.

-spence

SeaWolf
08-31-2004, 07:44 AM
patrick - gsb1201m is graphite. sb1213m is glass. that's the big difference. price is the next.

spece - what's wrong w/ perfection wire guides? i have them on my glass spin rod and would do it again. they work perfect for mono. i can drop my rod, smash it on things and i won't need to worry about breaking a ceramic ring. i would not use braid on it, as that's not its purpose. i won't chip the chrome finish ever on those guides. mildrum's chrome chipped very easily and are junk. if you fish braid, then go w/ ceramics for sure.

Stewie
08-31-2004, 05:30 PM
Eben 1213M= HEAVY but, If you have strong arms it is THE rod. Casts so slow and sweet you can hardly backlash. Ask Throwing Timber, He learned how to cast conventional on mine and was throwin faaaar after about 10 minutes.:D

Nebe
09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Longshot... thanks for the words there but it was Basic Patrick that was asking about that blank...I'm going with the GSB1021M... cant wait to try it out!

Who here uses an Allstar 1208?? good jigging rod no?? stiffer than a batson 1208? If you have an Allstar 1208 and a GSB1201M, how would you compare them?? I might pick up one of those too:devil:

tlapinski
09-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Who here uses an Allstar 1208?? good jigging rod no?? stiffer than a batson 1208? If you have an Allstar 1208 and a GSB1201M, how would you compare them?? I might pick up one of those too:devil: Eben, i have that in both spinning and conventional that i built. i hardly touch the 1208's anymore. the spinner has a good coating of dust on it now, and the conventional only sees time jigging the channel. it is a good blank, but not as versatile, in my opinion, as the 1201M. it is a very fast blank. i prefer a much more moderate action. it will, however, send a 3 ounce plug to the horizon!

goosefish
09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I don't know about spinning but I like my as conventional. The rod maybe is a hair too stiff to use braid with but for mono with heavy plugs and big surf it is a great rod. Not a danny or an eel rod, much more specific than what can be done with the GSBs. Maybe with spinning your're going to get more lure weight range, but still I think the rod likes 3oz and up. Its a great rod for working darters in current, and when your done working darters, throw on a jig.

Nebe
09-01-2004, 04:18 PM
hmm well this is interesting... I seem to be in one of those mindsets now that if i cant fish wen i want to, I have to amass more gear.... I feel like those ladies who want 30 pairs of shoes in the closet... Anyway, i'm just tire kicking.. the allstar 1208 was a rod i wanted to get before I tried out goosefish's lovestick... the 1201m :love: but i bet the allstar would still be a great stick for topwater poppers as well as jigging...

Toby how many rods do you own?:hihi:

Stewie
09-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Anybody played witha Calstar 900M? This blank is flexible at the tip so it will throw light stuff but gradually gets meaner and meaner until it is strong enough to throw a cinder block. At 9 feet it is a little heavier than an Arra 1024, but not much. I have used their 850 m and 850 L. It's time the secret got out. These are great blanks.

goosefish
09-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Toby owns close to 500 surf outfits. But he only uses 3.