View Full Version : talk to me habs

snook getter
08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
habs...im gonna try and make this short and sweet...

im a snook fisherman from s florida...as hardcore as snook fishermen get....

i get married october2 and will be honeymooning in new york and then driving to boston....

i want to hook up with my first stripper a big one preferrably...i will only have one or two nights to do that

ive been talking to people on stripper talk and i keep hearing habs needle over and over amd over again...

id like to get my hands on some of them now!!!!!!

late summer/september in south florida is the most productive time of the year for getting big snook of the beach and id like to test flight some of those habs needles here for snook and then in october go on my honeymoon with a fist full of them...

i know i could cash in with those plugs here just by looking at them online....

somebody get me some of them lures or get me that habs guys phone number/email address so i can purchase and have them fedx to me asap...

wht do you say mr. habs...snook getter

pretty please....snook getter

Tattoo
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
How big is your wallet? :devil:

snook getter
08-26-2004, 11:29 AM
not huge....they gotta be brand new tho....i like those olivegreen ones....those black and purple ones look like the ticket for night time....

someone tell me there personal color preferences.....

share the knowledge....remember im only passing thro....I WONT BURN ANY SPOTS/PISS ANYONE OFF.....my email is jerry@cottonco.com

and like i said before...come see me in s.florida and ill show you some hog snook action (depending on time of year)...or reds, tarpon and others...

ps. check out the jacks about to slam

B-assman
08-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Snook - I know those habs needles are tough to find - even up here. I was out on Marthas Vineyard for the last 2 weeks and was in #^&#^&#^&#^&'s Bait & Tackle in Oak Bluffs ( 508-693-7669 ) He's got a wall full of them. If you call and BEG he may ship some to you - but they did tell me that they're trying not to ship them out so that his regular customers will still be able to buy them as the fall run heats up

Good luck - I got mine!:D

BigFish
08-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a Florida "Ho" job!;)

snook getter
08-26-2004, 11:39 AM
just called him....they either have 2 left or he doesnt want to ship out of state or both......

where there's a will theres a way....ill gettem....

snook getter

Rappin Mikey
08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I personally like smaller strippers. But since you are getting married you better get them any way you can. Sorry man couldn't resist.;)

snook getter
08-26-2004, 11:44 AM
im not sure if that is good or bad?

snook getter
08-26-2004, 11:53 AM
ok....im not the best speller in the world....S-T-R-I-P-E-R

sling.....that sounds familiar...ever fish north side of jup. inlet...i got a 17lb snook and a 20 lb cubera snapper 2 days before season closed last there...

this is a stripper

snook getter
08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
stripper is on the must read thread i submitted yesterday....check it out very funny....make sure you read it first before scrolling to the picture

BigFish
08-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Ho job is a good thing......just messing with ya! Good luck with the Habs thing.;)

Rappin Mikey
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Saw it. Cracked me up. I thought that was a tackle shop owner though??

snook getter
08-26-2004, 12:30 PM
somebody sent me that along with the story....cHances are shes a stripper from lauderdale.....

be nice if all tackle shops had owners like that tho....

Slingah
08-26-2004, 12:48 PM
ya snook getter his marina is near the Jupiter light house...I've gone for snook in the rivers there....he has a local radio show down there on Sunday mornings on espn radio...Captn.George Labonte

JHABS
08-26-2004, 12:55 PM
snook getter, Can't find them in Florida YET.............. ;) You will before you know it............. Spanish Fly ;) :confused: :happy: BEST to PM me and will do my BEST to Accomodate you........................ THANKS

JHABS
08-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Slingah, I fished with Capt.George Labonte a few years back. Fished West Palm and Jupiter Inlet Laptew was feeding Snook with his Hand at a Jupiter Inlet Marina..............

Slingah
08-26-2004, 01:15 PM
JHABS....he is a good friend of mine, I grew up with him
he is coming up soon to do some striper fishing:D
I saw some of those hand feeding photos....pretty cool

DaveS
08-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Habs has no needles left, srry:D

JHABS
08-26-2004, 07:14 PM
No NEEDLES Huh................ ;)

DaveS
08-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Get priming and painting! :D

JHABS
08-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Dave , Want a JOB Looking for Elves..........................

BEETLE
08-27-2004, 04:28 AM
Get priming and painting!

2 Oz. needles - need some for the MV Derby :D

Will be an elve for 2 oz. Habs;)

Tattoo
08-27-2004, 05:07 AM
Why didnt I think of this? :smash:

Let the games begin...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36153&item=3696453867

Fish_n_Dive
08-27-2004, 05:13 AM
try hand feeding tarpon!!!:smash: yes that IS me and yes my entire hand IS in it mouth. lucky for me they dont have teeth:smash: :happy: http://usera.imagecave.com/flyndive/DSCF0130.JPG

Crafty Angler
08-27-2004, 07:02 AM
:wavey:

Will sand for needlefish

Hell, Habs, I've done so much sanding on my casa I oughta have Porter Cable tattooed on my ass :bshake:

PM me - or call - also have the other thing to talk to ya about -

snook getter
08-27-2004, 08:43 AM
hate to be a pain in the ass....but that hand feeding shot are big tarpon...and they will do that....especially around docks...were they are fed all the time....

the only time in my life ive ever been completely spooled was on a hundred pound monster....(on that xtralong A jointed bomber olive ive been talking about)....took that thing in waste deep water....roughly 15 yards from the beach....about 3 in the morning....right before he snapped the line off my empty spool he was a little jumping white dot way out in the ocean....

this is a snook....30lb 4oz. ......2 fatboys.....

if this is the size fish you new england folk call a mid sized fish....then i may never come home from my honeymoon....live in RI and change my name too "striper stalker" or something silly like that.....snook getter

Fish_n_Dive
08-27-2004, 02:16 PM
yea it was in key west, where they are protected in dock areas. it was quite a shock when it happened!!!

JohnR
08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by snook getter
if this is the size fish you new england folk call a mid sized fish....then i may never come home from my honeymoon....live in RI and change my name too "striper stalker" or something silly like that.....snook getter

This is a good size fish in the lower 30# range - not unusual and a good surfcaster that can actually get out to fish enough ( :wall: ) will get some of these...

http://striped-bass.com/Images/91530a.jpg

.... And then there are the REALLY bigguns like this one over SIXTY caught last year from the surf:
http://striped-bass.com/images/im60.jpg

JHABS
08-27-2004, 03:21 PM
TWO NICE FISH........................ :btu: :cheers:

Surfcastinglife
08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
that snook was real nice 2 those a tough fighter? i'd love to catch me some next time im in florida are they good eatin?

DaveS
08-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JHABS
Dave , Want a JOB Looking for Elves..........................

John, If I lived near ya I'd be over every day helping myself to your plugs,, er, uh, I mean helping you make plugs:laughs: .

snook getter
08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
very good fighter....
that fish was caught 2 years ago on memorial day morning....
woke up at 6 and thought i was too late for prime time cause the sun was already peeking out....decided to go any way....

made about 6 casts on the south side of an undisclosed structure...nothin...walked to the north side....first cast bang....he started for the structure and fortunately by mistake my drag was set too tight...he turned...he decided to go north and started ripping line out after i losend it slightly...i started running up the beach to make sure that there wasnt to much tension on the line...and he was ripping line out like crazy so i kept running, running, running....when i finally got him in i was about a quarter mile away from where i hooked up....

the meat is pure white if you slit there throats before they die if not its slightly darker...taste just like grouper....the only thing finer is redfish or river flounder (in my opinion)...snook getter

DaveS
08-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Snook, is it true that the winter months like December, produce bigger snook?

redneck24
08-27-2004, 07:58 PM
hey snook, why dont you try salty's needles, you wont be dissapointed. :btu: and by the looks of it would love to get my hands on one of big fish needles.:shocked:

JHABS
08-28-2004, 05:57 AM
redneck, Try a HABS, You wont be DISSAPOINTED............................. :btu:

spence
08-28-2004, 07:42 AM
I've found that neither HABS or Salty's needles produce when sitting in my surfbag. I really need to get out :smash:

-spence

Bernzy
08-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by redneck24
hey snook, why dont you try salty's needles, you wont be dissapointed. :btu: and by the looks of it would love to get my hands on one of big fish needles.:shocked:

Hi-Jack :gorez:

DaveS
08-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Habs is the Uber-Needle God , dont forget that:laughs:

Slingah
08-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by DaveS
Habs is the Uber-Needle God , dont forget that:laughs:
dats right;)

snook getter
08-30-2004, 11:29 AM
already mapped out the spots im hitting....just one piece of advice i want from you all....are the higher tides better then the lows like they are down here?

AI4WD
08-30-2004, 12:18 PM
JHABS,

I just finished reading David DiBenedetto's book "On The Run" and thought I would tell you how great you were in the book !!!!
He told a great story of how generous you were in showing him the ropes at Quonnie.

Now that I have blown smoke up your rear...;)..Is there anyway you could be generous to an old fart in MD that bounces around the Jetty at OC and on the beach at Assategue Island without any decent lures to use :( Plus, my :af: wife wont let me drive up there to find them! She says I would spend all the kids' back to school and Christmas money if I found you!

I know I am not getting married like the Snook but I would gladly marry another woman, it that would help. I cry at night from waiting to find one of your lures at a Fling. Since, you helped out a young Savannah, GA boy on a long Fishing trip,I thought maybe you would be so kind to point me in the proper direction to find some of your needlefish lures.( <---Begging on hands and knees now, as I crawl thru glass to pay homage to your needlefish's beauty and greatness ) ;) :D Any help would be greatly appreciated!

lureless in MD,
Forrest

PS: Anybody got a need for a used wife....:D :smash:

The Dad Fisherman
08-30-2004, 12:25 PM
I don't think that was Ho'ing....more like Shoveling...:D

Nebe
08-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by snook getter
are the higher tides better then the lows like they are down here?

Snook, that all depends where you are fishing... For me, time of day, and how much light there is is more important than tides in most places, and if your only staying in newport, you wont be fishing any estuaries, which are really a tide dependant fishing place.
I know nothing about fishing for snook, but with bass, you want rough water, low light conditions, moving water(ie strong tides) and most importantly some sort of structure in front of where your casting.
I've always fished with the rule of thumb that off the rocks, 1 hour before high tide is the best, as bass like to forage around in the wash picking up crabs, and baitfish in areas that might have been dry at mean low tide..

bring some Korkers as the rocks around Newport can be very slippery especially at low tide...

Good luck finding bass, thats easy. Catching them is another story:happy:

JHABS
08-30-2004, 04:45 PM
AI4WD, Thanks for the Kind words, P.M me and will steer you in the right Direction..................O 'yah You don't have to Crawl thru glass either...................... :D

AI4WD
08-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Are you sure you do not want me ....to get married again. So I can trade in the wife.....;) :D

Thanks,
Forrest (AI4WD)

snook getter
08-31-2004, 09:13 AM
well fella's....it looks like im gonna get hammered in the next few days by francis...

enough of that tho...tonight midnight snook season opens up....i got the last 3 dozen pin/pig fish at the baitshop for tonight and tom morning and already told work im going to be running late tom. morning....

some good comes outa hurricanes tho in these parts....the strong current and waves from the north makes the sand gather up in the narrower inlets...a few years back this happend at an undisclosed inlet and clogged the inlet up to where there was only a passage about 20 feet across....this bottle necked the bait as well as the hungry snook into this area and first light on the low tide was an amazing sight to see when the snook would trigger and there would be masses of mullet in the air and as many as a dozen trophy snook in the air doing cartwheels and thousands of them underneath breaking up the schools....a little flip cast across the channel with that jointed long a olive and bang...everyone left with there limit, every day, morning and afternoon/night tide till they finally dregged it out again.....

now sing along "its the most wonderful time..of the year"

habs....dont forget about the florida boy...that needle would of been a jewel that day i just mentioned....just tell me what ya got and what you want for it....i dont want to be running around new england looking for them in october....

snook getter

mddletown
08-31-2004, 12:06 PM
hab's is so overrated. every year its a new lure that everyone says they have to have. if you're a good fisherman it wont matter.

snook getter
08-31-2004, 12:23 PM
ive gotta an arsenal im bringing up for my one night...would like to have some habs tho to see what they are about...try em out...get em wet...show the beach walkers here in fla what the beach walkers in new england are buying up/ catching fish with...ive actually said this before on a different thread...those tiger striped windcheaters i swear by here look exactly like the gibbs tiger striped....you all should give those a try (windcheaters) if you dont already....can fling'em a mile...

i actually found some heavy pencil poppers at my local shop and bought them up...and the proven windcheaters, bombers and others will get there chance as well...snook getter

ps. you all use hawks/feathers at all? or is that a fl. thing...those will get there chance in oct as well....o yah gotta find some of those all black bombers....

JHABS
08-31-2004, 12:37 PM
mddletown, I can't please everyone nor do I TRY TO, But I will tell you this EVERY YEAR FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS I sell every thing I can make so it s not a NEW LURE. If you feel my PLUGS are over rated than you don't have to buy them..................... If you can't Say Some Thing Good Say Some Thing Bad Atleast your Talking About ME AND THAT IS FREE ADVERTISING :thanks: ...............................You 4 post guys come out of the wood work.......... :rolleyes:

snook getter
08-31-2004, 12:41 PM
habs...you wouldnt be as popular as you are if they werent proven over and over and over again....dont cancel my order....snook getter

mddletown
08-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey Hab I didnt say I dont own any haha. I loved you in "On the Run" I gotta get you to sign my copy.

snook getter
08-31-2004, 01:49 PM
francis is a strong 4 (winds 140mph) and building still looking like its gonna nail us...im starting to get really nervous...i just bought a new house, redid the floors, got a nice wide screen....in the middle of painting....please francis stay away....

as the day goes on the joy of snook season finally being here is dying...
keep us in your prayers.....snook getter

mddletown
08-31-2004, 01:51 PM
did you board up the windows yet?

snook getter
08-31-2004, 01:58 PM
its supposed to make landfall friday in the middle of the night...the bosses said that friday is off and most likely thursday will be a half day...if it keeps going on the same path im going to have to take wed and thursday to help my inlaws, my parents, my sister as well as my own house....

snook getter
08-31-2004, 02:05 PM
GO THE OTHER WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

mddletown
08-31-2004, 02:12 PM
It seems like you are losing it!!

bloocrab
08-31-2004, 03:36 PM
...jointed long a olive...

:drool: :drool: That's one of my favorites. . . ..not the friendliest for casting....but a serious threat to fish-kind:devil:

Have any of you seen these stocked anywhere? PM or post please....I'm not sure if M&D's has this on his wall or not - - - -

...and I have to agree with mddltown, HAB'S are definately over-rated!! .....:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Keep up the good work Johnny - :)

snook getter
08-31-2004, 03:46 PM
they sell the oversized ones down my way....ya can fling'em....
olive of coarse.....

Codfather4
08-31-2004, 03:49 PM
I know since when does two fish over fifty and one of those over sixty say a plug is good:smash: :D :happy:

DaveS
08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Habs plugs will go down in history as classics.

JHABS
08-31-2004, 08:25 PM
THANKS GUYS....................

Pete F.
09-01-2004, 03:40 PM
There is currently a Hab's eel colored needle on ebay and someone is willing to pay $42.99 plus shipping. :rolleyes:
Pete

piemma
09-02-2004, 06:54 AM
I love these guys who say Habs are overrated. If you don't like them, don't buy them. It serves no useful purpose to disparage John and his work. I know, I know, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't see the purpose is dissing a guys who works hard for his money and has, for the most part, brought the needlefish plug to the forefront of surf fishing. My 2 cent....John, keep doin' what ya doin'.

riverrat2
09-02-2004, 07:31 AM
I agree there is no need to speak out against HABS. I support habs because of the fact that his lures are produced by a surf guy like myself not some factory over in Japan. He puts a lot of time into each plug and it shows in the final product. Not to mention they catch fish!

Pete F.
09-02-2004, 07:57 AM
I hope that you don't think I was dissing anyone. It amazes me that someone is willing to pay almost $50 for a fishing lure. I've lost too many lures to bluefish and have too many kids to do that.:)
Pete

Pete F.
09-02-2004, 02:39 PM
It's now over $50:D

justplugit
09-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by DaveS
[B Habs plugs will go down in history as classics. [/B]

:btu: :humpty:

Crafty Angler
09-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey, among the Habs that I fish I've also got 3 that are hanging on the wall of fame in my tackle room - they're from the first run of needlefish John did years back -

Hell, I knew a long time ago Habs was more than just another pretty face....:btu:

piemma
09-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I also have some first run Habs needles and jointed swimmers, of which these were prototypes. I would never fish them

snook getter
09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
hey you all....
we'll we made it through frances....it was scarry and i still dont have power...

the house is fine but my nieghborhood looks like a bomb went off in it....we've had to have the windows open cause of the heat so the humidity may cause a problem with the drywall if they dont hook up power soon...

get this...yesterday part of my nieghborhood gets hooked up with power and my house doesnt have power...i go looking for the power truck and the guy is in one of my neighbors garage drinking beer....that was last night and today still no power....

right now im at the mac store in the mall enjoying the ac....just bought a nice computer and im excited...

i fished opening day of snook season and my partner got a nice twenty pounder...he had no choice but to take it cause it got wedged in the rocks and by the time we got it out he was too weak to make it....thats the only day i got to fish...after that frances wouldnt let anyone go fishing....

still looking forward too my honeymoon and getting my shot at my first striper....talk to you all in a day or so when i get back to work....and finally habs....dont forget about the kid from sflorida who is waiting patiently...and for the player haters out there disrespecting people....dont hate the player...hate the game.....SHUT UP AND FISH......SNOOK GETTER

Swimmer
09-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Whats a snook?:D

Is that the singular version of getting snookered?:D

Blurple flys wrok greatt, too!

Surfcastinglife
09-07-2004, 10:45 AM
there was a pic of one couple pages back.....glad u made it through the storm snook getter gl on your honeymoon and gettin urself a nice cow hope u get some LARGE!

snook getter
09-08-2004, 03:39 PM
back in the mall cause power is still off....funny the mall gets electricity...the zoo gets electricity....most of my neighbors get electricity....but not me

ol' lady is getting her nails done so here i am in the mac store saying hey...

i just got a mail order of some needles for my trip....1.5 oz.ers....i forget who makes them but they got a black and yellow label....i want to use them for snook'n but curfews from francis are thro'n a wrench in my september season...they are olive and white and another that is more of a green been green.....my ole lady has to work tomorrow so ill have time to catch bait and try for some hogs off the beach tom. afternoon.....i wanna get on the islands for the prime spots in the sunrise hours but national guard says "cant fish here, go home now or go to jail for breaking curfew"....how has the action been in you alls part of the woods....any big stripers to be taken? any bloooooooooooofish? i wanna fish so bad but there has been so many problems with the hurricane......

habs....you making any progress with the new batch? cant wait to see them...

snook getter

JHABS
09-08-2004, 05:42 PM
snookgetter, Working like a DOG......................

NIB
09-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by piemma
I love these guys who say Habs are overrated. If you don't like them, don't buy them. It serves no useful purpose to disparage John and his work. I know, I know, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't see the purpose is dissing a guys who works hard for his money and has, for the most part, brought the needlefish plug to the forefront of surf fishing. My 2 cent....John, keep doin' what ya doin'.

If u don't have nothin nice to say, then say nothin at all.Can't tell ya how many times i heard this as a kid.It sorta worked.

snook getter
09-11-2004, 09:23 AM
lights back on.....finally

im at work right now un-wrapping from frances....i work up in stuart and they got the direct hit....truthfully we got it worse down in west palm cause there was no 4 hour lul when the eye passed....we also got the southern wall which is always stronger....

i did get to fish 2 days ago with some live pins and pigs off juno pier....missed a nice one and my partner who came up here from dania caught a beast at 42inches...right around 33lbs....he caught it on a mullet skin of all things which he tells me is a prime bait for big lazy snook down miami way....they are lazy till there hooked up....we thought it was a big stingray when it first hooked up....my brother called me also on my way to work this morning and told me that big ones are being taken from the surf down boca raton way and saw a nice oversized get released at the pavillion....i hopefully will get another chance tonight if i am lucky....

my buddy from ri called me yesterday and said that stripers have been everywhere on the beach in you alls parts....alot of bait everywhere and that people have been killing it....can i belive him? you guys tell me....

any way bak to waork....snook getter

piemma
09-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Your buddy must be fishing where no one else is. We have been s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g wind for a week. I got 1, 23lb fish in 7 nights of crawlin rocks and throwing eels. I am not alone.

ThrowingTimber
09-11-2004, 11:51 AM
I picked a good week to get sick.... effin got strepp...:mad:

piemma
09-12-2004, 07:00 AM
You got little kids? I would get strep every Fall when the kids went back to school.

snook getter
09-13-2004, 08:48 AM
thanks pie....he's been a good buddy of mine for years, but lately ive caught him telling some tall tails....now that i look back over the years, it kinda explains alot of things....thanks for calling his bs....

fished this weekend and landed several shorts on chartruese and white hawks...a beast was caught on the beach juno way on a live mullet, to big had to be thrown back....still recovering from francis so fishing time has been scarce....cant wait for october...hope i get to meet some of you all, ill be up there in early to mid october and from what i hear will be prime time....snook getter

piemma
09-13-2004, 09:23 AM
looking forward to meeting you.

ThrowingTimber
09-13-2004, 04:37 PM
nope no little ones, I'm too selfish :D My time is My time, which is usually fishin ;) Not sure how I got sick, feeling better now, was north of the spot you had mentioned to me, I wanted to check it out but I went north, shouldda gone there though :D I heard good things, chompers out buddy got a twink, kept a couple casualties for my aunt, they didnt go in my fish box though:D

snook getter
09-23-2004, 11:01 AM
i think im just going to move up to you all's neck of the woods....first francis, now jeann's coming to thro a wrench in my season....snook getter

snook getter
09-30-2004, 01:14 PM
made it thro another one....jeanne is history

house is just fine....

ole lady is pregnant...we found out the day before jeanne hit...we concieved during francis (the day of)....

how does little "francis jeanne" sound for a girl? "stormy" will be her nickname

look for the spanish kid walking the beach in a week... we get married on sunday then too ny city for a week....and then ri for my first striper...

you all been killin it up there?

snook getter
09-30-2004, 01:14 PM
boat

snook getter
09-30-2004, 01:15 PM
more

snook getter
09-30-2004, 01:15 PM
more

JHABS
09-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Snookgetter, Congrats on the soon to be NEW addition to the family. Look me up when you get out here..............