View Full Version : Atlantic Cypress

Young Salt
08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I've heard that this is a really good choice for sinking plugs. The only place i've found that has it is in stoughton, ma (isn't that newlley country :D ) Anyone know a closer source? If not, what else would be a good substitute?

Fishpart
08-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Cypress is a relatively rare species and tough to get in these parts. It lives in the water and is very rot resistant. I would imagine it makes a nice plug, can't comment on the density though.

capesams
08-27-2004, 07:03 AM
cypress is a relatively heavy wood that will suck up alot of sealer . the growth rings are quite hard an the centers between are soft . so when sanding it on the lathe you can sand out the soft wood leaving high spots/ridges.the hard grain will stick up.

what they call port orford cedar out west is what we call west coast cypress here on the east coast... it's very nice to work with an is light...so I'd fine a few samples of both and compare by working with them.

MAC
08-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Young Salt
I've heard that this is a really good choice for sinking plugs. The only place i've found that has it is in stoughton, ma (isn't that newlley country :D ) Anyone know a closer source? If not, what else would be a good substitute?

:laughs: newelly country:laughs: :laughs: actually the place that sells it is 1/2 mile from my house. They carry about everything, lots of exotic woods too. No AYC though.:(

Young Salt
08-29-2004, 08:49 PM
That shop told me they have both bald & tidewater cypress which one should I get?

So far i've been using just AYC, the problem i'm having is that the sinking & suspending lures need alot of lead to get them down.
What other species are good for plug making? Only thing i have tried other than AYC is mahogany, I didn't like the 'pitted' grain was hard to finish.

CS - does the west coast cypress sink or float?

Nebe
08-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Young salt... try mahogany, rock maple and birch....all are dense woods and want to sink with minimal lead.