View Full Version : Swamp Yankee SB Classic??? any info?

B-assman
08-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Anyone know anything about the swamp yankee striped bass classic??? Saw an ad for it in the fisherman but there's no info on the web site

Anyone planning to enter? Would be nice to have a local derby style tournament in RI....

B-assman
08-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Ok - called about this and requested an entry form / package. The web site doesn't have any info yet - It's the first one so who knows what sort or participation they'll get - but that may make the prizes easier to win!

For info call 401-596-7761 or 800-732-7636. It runs 9/7 thru 11/25 and according to the press release will have daily / weekly prizes - like the mv deryb -

Im going to enter - who else is in????

Here's an excerpt from the article in the PROJO last spring.

==============================
Move over Martha's Vineyard. The Westerly-Pawcatuck Chamber of Commerce is planning an autumn fishing tournament that South County business owners are counting on to rival the Vineyard's famous fishing derby.

The idea is to bring more fishing tourists back to Rhode Island after Labor Day when fishing is at its peak.

Unlike other tournaments run by tackle shops or fishing clubs, the new Swamp Yankee Striped Bass Classic will have the support of an entire business community. Local motels, restaurants and news publications are supporting it.

The event is scheduled to run from the day after Labor Day to Thanksgiving Day with fishing allowed from the Narrow River to the Pawcatuck River and out to Block Island. Anglers in four categories -- surf, boat, fly-rod and juniors -- will fish for bass and bluefish, according to Don Cameron of Captain Don's Bait & Tackle and chairman of the planning committee. An angler can register for one or all of the divisions. The chamber will be recruiting tackle shops along the south coast to be weigh-in stations. Daily results will be posted on the tournament's Web site so anglers won't bring fish to be weighed if there are larger fish already on the leader board.

Like the Vineyard tournament, there will be weekly prizes as well as overall prizes.

Watch this column and The Fishing Report for more details as they become available.

basswipe
08-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Sounds good to me so far.

SBASS1
08-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Why don't they just start busing people in!!! Tourny's... Bah Humbug!

RIJIMMY
08-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Seriously, more crowds, less parking, more litter.
I hope it flops.

Mr. Sandman
08-30-2004, 03:53 PM
I go for the REAL thing...thanks anyway.

this website works fine! :)

www.mvderby.com

B-assman
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Sandman - I'd prefer the real thing too - but i just can't get out there often enough!!

For those who see it as a crowd issue - i'm curious how those on MV feel about this???? Sandman - any reaction??? Do islanders dread the coming of the derby because of off-islanders who invade the vineyard??? Im a boat guy so the crowds dont affect me as much...

I must admit that Im shocked that those who are organizing this thing haven't reached out to the members of this board (or other SB sites). I've run lots of regattas and I know that generating some buzz is critical to getting participation - obviously there's no buzz around this event!!

If it flops it'll be too bad in my opinion. I've never fished the derby but having read Reading The Water and after hearing folks talk fondly of the derby - I'd like to be involved in something like that. The fact that this one is in RI makes it more convenient for me.

Mr. Sandman
08-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Bman,

Most islanders I know can't wait for the derby to begin. While it is a competitive event...it is a lot more than that. There is a lot of comradare and fun around a fishing theme....and a lot of fishing too, don't get me wrong. It is a time for past fishing pals to re-connect and spend some quailty nights working the beach or early boat trips to cast to the rips. It is an excuse to fish with your kid on a school night. It is a special time here and most fisherman I know *really* look forward to it. (just try to find a trades man to do a job during the derby...everyone is "all tied up" ;) ( means they are fishing) I suppose some guys don't like it but I have not met too many that feel that way. Most talk about it all year. I imagaine some of the wives don't think much of the derby but most of the ones I know join in the fun too.

Also, there is a lot of LUCK involved. The format is such that a 10# bonito can (and has) win a boat/motor/trailer or a 4X4 truck worth some serious coin. (not the giant bass) The kids that take part in the event ususally win lots of gear... and walk away very happy campers. Finally the money that is actaully made by the event (it is a non-profit fishing contest...one of the only IRS scantioned fishing events) goes to scholarships for island kids....in the last few years 300K in outright grants have gone to worthy high school seniors who go to study something in the marine fields.

Many islanders contriute to the event all year and invest a lot of time and effort to make it a success. I was very surprised how much fun it is and how much people want to be a part of it....its not just a "fishing contest"...its a great friggin 5 weeks of the year at the best time on the island and I personally am choppin at the bit ready to go and hook up with friends for a great time.

We also have a lot of area and all kinds of divsions so while there are some crowds most of the guys I know don't fish the wasque points on a Friday night at 7:30... most find a secluded stretch of beach at some off time and work that.

I did not mean to make fun of the derby proposed by RI'ers...I could not help myself. I think for guys that regularly fish the area the may as well join in the fun. I know it is not cheap to take time off, and move over here for a week or two to 5...it is not cheap, but most come back year in and year out for a spell to fish it. So a RI event might work, although I don't think the little chamber of commerce can run an event like the one here....you need some dedicated people and some with deep pockets who want to make it happen.

(I fish both boat and shore, depending on the action and weather and enjoy them both equally)

This is the 59th year of the derby, come on out and try it!...Ill buy you a cold beer and a dozen eels.:D

RIJIMMY
08-30-2004, 07:37 PM
WHats the positive in an RI derby? MV derby is an old tradition, why start a new one here? Its a kill tournamant so that means every googan with a 15+ bass will draggin it in to get weighed, beaches and other areas will begin to charge past the labor day season to make more $.
The B&Ts may profit in the short run but in the end, its only the hardcore surf guys who fish in late OCt adn Nov and if they get sick of the crowds etc, they move on to other spots.

Nebe
08-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm all for it.. but then agian I'm no longer fishing almost every night:laughs:

seriously, if it brings more $$ to the area thats great. I doubt it is going to be a non profit thing like the vineyard's derby, but who knows what will happen.
Sure there will be more guys fishing the popular spots, but hey, I dont own the water.

SBASS1
08-31-2004, 06:22 AM
I don't own the water either, but one or two people extra per spot each night will make a dramtic difference in your catch. I can see the line to make a drift being all the way to the parking lot on a Friday Night!

vineyardblues
08-31-2004, 10:46 AM
Mr Sandman, I will take you up on the beer and eels ..lol

I will even buy the next beer's after they are ALL gone.

All kidding around, I would love to catch up with ya and drink a beer or 3 :)

I will over in sept and back in oct.
VB

ThrowingTimber
08-31-2004, 10:52 AM
:D I'm all for it :kewl: :devil: :uhuh: I'll just have to hide well

ThrowingTimber
08-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Sandman and VB I'll be there in Sept. I'll buy ya's both one!:D

Krispy
08-31-2004, 11:21 AM
Ive heard alot of good things about the old Schaeffer Beer Tourney. Its always been fondly recalled by some of our older members. It seemed like a good system of points, maybe someone can explain how that contest used to work.
Sounds like fun to me :)

B-assman
08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Ok - it's official - just sent my entry form back. I'm entry number 936 - maybe I'll win a T-shirt!

Mr. Sandman
08-31-2004, 12:22 PM
No eels for you;)

B-assman
08-31-2004, 12:38 PM
Sandman - don't count me out of yet - I've got a credit with the vineyard fast ferry (from a trip that got cancelled due to big seas) - so I may make a trip out there yet!! But if we do hook up I'd gladly supply th eels and beer.
:D

Springtides
08-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Sandman:

I'll be there on the 24th trough the 26th (Friday Sat and Sun) with my two sons. I have made reservations to stay (shower and cook) already. May make it by myself other dates. This is our first derby and I hope to make it a yearly thing. Any helpful hints?

JHABS
08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
I think A bass has to be 25lbs before you can bring it to the SCALE................So no MINNOWS..............

Mr. Sandman
09-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Springtides
This is our first derby and I hope to make it a yearly thing. Any helpful hints?

Here are 10 things that comes to mind...

1) Don't foret light tackle...lots of oppertunity for early morning action for bones and albies that are a hoot on 6 or 8 # gear from the beach.

2) Plenty of places to fish. But don't tresspass check out the several pages of possible spots to hit. (this is a good start)http://www.larrystackle.com/spots.html

3) got 4x4? Unfort will need stickers if you want to use it o the sand. (they check) BUT IMO you really don't NEED it there are places to park where you can :walk: to some of the most excellent surf spots on the east coast.

4) Looking for big bass....fish nights. Not my style of fishing but bait on the bottom (south shore) at night has accounted for huge fish each year.

5) Stop in at either #^&#^&#^&#^&s (ob), Larrys (eg)and Coops(eg) each day to get the latest buzz and pick up the hot lure (bait) dujour.

6) bring your squid jigs! (Sept is a little early but they seem to be here all summer this year) Fresh local whole squid is a HOT bait and a local "secret". Fish this on the south shore and your kid could connect with a cow.

7)common courtesy: be polite to others, obay speed limits, let other people by(no traffic lights here so off islanders get confused who goes next) , ***take your time***...(your really not in a rush anyway) and please don't litter

8) BE SAFE in the surf the current can be rather strong at times in some places, you can get really hurt. People have died here who push it too hard or were careless. (leave the skishing to the montauk fools...also remember they had a shark tourny from the beach here...the winner this year was a 220# shark so don't swim at night)

9) Remember, if you fish places like menemsha jetty at sunset or sunrise on a weekend there will be other people...some spots are like magnets, so fish it off peak and you can have it to yourself (almost...I may be there) ...there are still plenty of fish around and many other places to wet a productive line. You don't need to stand next to someone to catch a fish.

10) Make use you have fresh line and leaders. (Some of the stuff I have seen during derby is downright rediculus) You are taking time off, spending big bucks to fish and stay here....so don't cheap out on the buisness end of your gear...working reels, new line, leaders and lures and sharp hooks are an absolute must!

See you at the weigh in........:D

Nebe
09-01-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm really not liking the name of this event.... a swamp yankee is someone who is cheap and does stuff half assed. is this a sign of how this thing will be run??

B-assman
09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Eben - according to this weeks "The Fisherman" a swamp yankee refers to "those old salt-of-the-earth Rhode Islanders who can make things work with little or no money or raw materials" - which i think is just a more PC way of saying what you said! Who knows - but if it's an excuse to get my a$$ out fishing more - then I'm for it!

Mr. Sandman
09-01-2004, 11:03 AM
How much was the entry fee and what are the prizes?

B-assman
09-01-2004, 11:06 AM
The prizes are not up to Derby standards by any means - A week stay at a local inn, various tackle, rods, reels, tshirts, etc.... but the fee is only $20 for a single category or $40 for all 3 (boat, shore, fly)

Mr. Sandman
09-01-2004, 11:20 AM
the MV derby is 40 for adults and 15 for kids and seniors for the all tackle (surf, boat and fly). there is a fly only div too with separate prizes but I am not sure about that as I always go for the all tackle.
The prizes are substantial being awarded for daily, weekly and overall as well as dozens of special awards... (it is hard "not" to win something that exceeds the value of your entry fee if you fish at all IMO)

At one time they actually gave away buildable lots in chilmark!! (I wish I was around back then!)

Springtides
09-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Hey Sandman:

Thanks for the hospitality online. Looking forward to it.

Eben:

I would have liked a different name too.

Rhody Open
Sakonnet to Watch Hill Derby
Rhody Fall Fish Run Tournament
First annual Ocean State Derby etc.

Bill L
09-01-2004, 04:13 PM
a swamp yankee is someone who is cheap and does stuff half assed.

Eben, as a full blooded Swamp Yankee, I am offended and deeply hurt by this type of racial slur :(

Nebe
09-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I dont think you can be born a swamp yankee toonoc... you gotta live the lifestyle.... but if you do stuff half assed and are cheap, sorry if I offended you :D :laughs: