View Full Version : Neoprene waders? which ones?

Slipknot
08-30-2004, 07:19 PM
I have always used either rubber waders or breathables or hipboots. I wonder what some of you guys can reccomend for a pair of neoprene waders that I will need. Going to do some fishing at Block island and need some, I will bring the rubber waders for backup.

How do these waders hold up? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jhtml?id=0005500811200a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=cat350005&podId=0005500&catalogCode=QR&parentId=cat350005&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20431&hasJS=true

thanks

Mike P
08-30-2004, 07:38 PM
I had a pair of Cabelas neoprenes. At that time they were made for Cabelas by Hodgeman.

They lasted about as long as any other neoprenes I ever owned---about a season and a half. :D

Slipknot
08-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Well that may be good enough for me Mike.
If I had my way I'd wear my Orvis breathables, but I don't dare to wear them on anything but sand now since they went and changed the lifetime warranty that they had at the time I bought them and paid a rediculous $198 for the clearwaters and now they are on clearance for like half that :smash: I guess all the guys who trashed them on rocks and returned them over and over again have ruined it for the rest of us reasonable fishermen:rolleyes:
Anyway, maybe I'll just get the Cabelas. I have 33 bucks in points from my credit card so they'll cost me about 50 bucks. I can deal with that if they last a year, especially for the few times I'll use them.

rizzo
08-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Slip-
Just went through with the whole new orvis warranty policy. They will give you a new pair still but you have to have them sent to north caroline (somewhere around there) though. In the mean time youre without a pair of waders, roughly 2-3 weeks. Not a problem if you have 2 pairs of breathables....

I never had a problem with breathables on the rocks, jsut gotta be careful. If they do get ripped just aquaseal them. All the waders I returned to orvis either had seams that leaked or the actual boot soles would wear out... they always replace them because of this.

riverrat2
08-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Same here I had a pair of there cheapest breathables(forget the name of the line) for four years fished them hard on rocks and they just started to leak this year. Sent back and they gave me a new pair. The new pair are a little more reinforced up to the knees, no problems yet.

Goose
08-31-2004, 08:58 AM
I had the 3mm's....they lasted about a season and half until the seam at the sole let go. I then bought another cabela's but booties. I like them much better. They take alot of abuse.

Krispy
08-31-2004, 09:05 AM
get the Redball canvas ones. They are bulletproof. FWW gave me a pair several years ago, and I could beat them like I would never dare on breathables or neoprene

Saltheart
08-31-2004, 10:21 AM
For years , redballs were the best. My last pair were cabelas , bought on clearance. I always get bootfoot. They waders usually last a few years and die when the seams start leaking. I will say that while not as comfortable as breathables , they do add warmth for the fall.

basswipe
08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
I've had the same pair of stocking foot neos since1990.
Other than a few pinhole leaks in the right foot which Aquaseal cured I've no complaints.These were Prolines and cost $29.99.From what I understand Proline no longer exists.

Karl F
08-31-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm on my third year with the Ranger's.. Ed at the bait shack had a bunch of them, 99 bucks, I think, they don't leak, they smell bad, but, BM says they make me look sexy :eek:

How's that for an endorsement :rolleyes:

chris L
08-31-2004, 11:46 AM
dont go over board on the neos they wont last .
cabbellas has good prices . the red balls lasted me the longest of any waders I have ever owned and a good price . took on a lot of abuse fishing jetties and rivers .

Karl ??????????????????????? very scary

Karl F
08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by chris L

Karl ??????????????????????? very scary

you said it, Chris, very scary indeed :hihi:

chris L
08-31-2004, 11:54 AM
he is a freaky freak . but he has this wiggle that just gets to the guys in ptown .

Mike P
08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
I agree about not going overboard on neos. Your $90 Hodgeman's (Cabelas) or ProLines will last as long as a more expensive pair, in my experience.

It's the seams that let go. I've tried coating them inside and out with AquaSeal and it works for awhile but the leaks start all over again. If I had to guess, I would say that their tight fit causes flexing at the seam and you start getting little pinhole gaps in the stitching and gluing that seals the seam. After you AquaSeal it, my guess is the fabric itself starts to get these little pinhole gaps.

Slipknot
08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Krispy
get the Redball canvas ones. They are bulletproof. FWW gave me a pair several years ago, and I could beat them like I would never dare on breathables or neoprene

:) That's what I have used for the last 4 years. I still have them but they are pretty beat and I think the seams are about to go on them. The pocket ripped a long time ago and the suspenders suck but they are good on the rocks.

So what you guys are saying is that I might be better off with the redballs and wear sweat pants or something under them??? and nix the neos?

fishweewee
08-31-2004, 06:58 PM
It's too bad that Simms discontinued the neoprene line altogether.

I still have a pair from 1996 that is going on strong! I save it for the rockpiles.

Bill L
08-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Slip, I have the Cabelas boot foot stretch neos for about $89 (I think). I've had them about a year and a half so far and they just started seeping at the crotch seams (looks like Mike is right on the money). I've worn them a lot though, and have gotten good use out of them, and will break out the aquaseal

I also like the good old bullet proof canvas waders (my back ups), BUT the stretch neoprenes are very comfortable, especially if you're climbing around on rocks. The canvas waders are like trying to run with you pants around your ankles sometimes, and they dont let me get my knees and feet up as easy as the neos.

Cabelas are nice with the tall sizes available too

fishweewee
08-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Bruce -

Just an idea - how 'bout a wetsuit?

Saltheart
09-01-2004, 09:20 AM
No way , when I said redballs were the best , I meant Redball Neo's not canvas. I prefer the Neo's over anything but the breatables and even over the breathables if its cold out.

Steve K
09-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I fish the block fairly often and I wear breathables. Even in November with a pair of fleece pants, I was plenty warm. It was in the 30's when I was there last November. To access the best spots on the block you have to walk a lot and whether it is summer or fall, I sweat a lot. Neoprenes are just too hot for me. I am assuming that this is just a weekend trip? Then stick with what you've got. If your plan is to swim out to rocks, then go with a wetsuit.

Slipknot
09-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys :)

I don't swim that well so I'll stick to walking, and I have no problem sweating and plan to bring the breathables.