View Full Version : Defense against the blues.

Saltheart
08-31-2004, 07:58 AM
Everyone is complaining about alkl the blues. i agree , when you are after stripers , blues can be a pain. i just say think back to the early to mid eighties when it was nice to get a blues cause the stripers were scarce.

I also hear lots of complaints about them destroying tackle. when I'm get bothered by blues and getting my eels turned to cigar butts and expensive wood into splinters , , its wire leaders and jig heads or cheap poppers. I prefer single tail hooks on the poppers so you can get the beasts off quickly.

Bliz
08-31-2004, 09:10 AM
I would bend in the barbs!...

Clammer
08-31-2004, 09:32 AM
{{{BOMBS}}}}

Surfcastinglife
08-31-2004, 10:47 AM
i like catching blues sadly my spots have been blueless AND bassless this has been a horrible year for me :( still waitin on some blitzes from the blues its all good though even if i get skunked every time out wouldn't rather be doin anythin

basswipe
08-31-2004, 11:19 AM
When there's nothin but blues around or I just feel like catching instead of hunting I put on a wire leader and old single hook Kastmaster and have at 'em.

Bliz
08-31-2004, 11:24 AM
I threw a Slammer to the Bluefish last night and came up with t new pattern called HAVOC...

I don't like Blues... but when the Bass aren't responding...

There needs to be some entertainment!

chris L
08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
they are entertaining to say the least . certainly better than a skunking . good work out !

Surfcastinglife
08-31-2004, 12:05 PM
blues are yummy:drool:

Mr. Sandman
08-31-2004, 12:14 PM
They have saved many a trip for a lot of people from being fishless. And they are quite fun on light tackle.

I don't mind them. Yes 2# bluefish eating $1.00 eels in october are upsetting but you can always move to another spot.

Besides they taste good when eaten fresh or smoked. I don't want 200# in my freezer but I will grill them up...My kids actaully love to eat bluefish prepared this way...(very simple) (works great for bass too!)

1) put cleaned bluefish fillets (with red meat removed) in zip loc bag

2) pour in enough terraiki sause to cover the fillets and let marinate for a couple hours in the refrig.

3) remove the fillets and rub each side with a little oil (olive, canola, whatever)

4) on your grill, rub the grate with a little oil on a paper towel to lube the grate.

5) place fish on grill, cook one side, then flip and then remove and eat.

I am telling you this tastes quite good.

Skip N
08-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Been getting into nice Blue blitzes every morning.....For me it never gets old! Ill take them all the time....Pure fun for me! Especially on the fly rod:D

Got Stripers
08-31-2004, 07:59 PM
A couple weeks back it was all bass on Saturday, come Sunday they had moved on and it was all Blues. Just switched up rods and tackle and had a great day, the boat was puked on and looked like hell; but it's catching over fishing. When life serves you lemons, you make lemonade.

Crow
08-31-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't mind sacrificing a plug or 2 to the 10lb'ers, they are fun at the right time and place. But its those little 2lb'ers that kept biting my line that really ticked me off. They must have been hitting bits of weed on the line, I lost a 1/2dz good plugs and 2 spools of braid. Wire was not going to help as they were biting off 25-75 yds at a time.:af: :af: :af: Cost me a lot of money

Team Rock On
09-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Twelve-year-old Kirsten Glavin of Grafton, MA won the 22nd Annual McDermott Auto Group 600 WICC Greatest Bluefish Tournament on Earth. Kirsten, a 7th grader at Grafton Middle School, won $25,000 for catching a 14.58-pound bluefish off Northport, NY, while fishing with her Uncle Todd Glavin.
The young angler has been fishing since she was five years old. She was spending the week with her Uncle and his family on Long Island. Knowing how much she likes to fish, her uncle signed them up for the tournament.
The winning bluefish was taken on a green tube attached to a wire line and trolled off the power plant in Northport on Saturday evening.
"Things were slow so I suggest we try trolling," said Kirsten. "It wasn't long before I caught the bluefish.It was a struggle. It felt like I was pulling a tire off the bottom."
What does the young angler expect to do with the money? "Well, I will save half for college and the rest for a boat when I get a little older," said Kirsten from her Massachusetts home.
Second place was taken by Nick Kantzas of Norwalk. He weighed in a 14.38-pound bluefish at Fisherman's World in Norwalk. He will take home a check for $10,000.
Taking third place was Peter Muff of Long Island. He caught a 14.28-pound bluefish to win $3,000.
The winning fish was the lowest weight in the 22 year history of the tournament. The previous low weight was in 2002 when a 16.51-pound bluefish won the tournament.
The results will remain unofficial until the fish and registrations are verified. The top three winners are also required to take lie detector tests.

--------------------
Outdoor Writer