View Full Version : Fly fishing for blues

Saltheart
09-01-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm thinking of taking friday off from stripers and trying for some blues on the fly rod around sunset. Anywhere , MA or RI within about an hour or so ride. .

Anyone know anywhere that is inudated with blues? I'm not the best with a fly rod so i want to be casting into a boil of fish in hopes of getting a few. I have some ideas of my own but like I said , i want to be doing the fish in a barrel routine and just worry about landing them on my fly rod.

Don't post here , please PM me.

thanks

Swimmer
09-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Salty what you have to do is find out where BasicPatrick is fishing and cast just to his left when the bluefish he has tight on his spinning gear is about fifty feet from the beach. Thats what I did over the Vineyard last year and I copped first place in the derby with that strategy. First you have to find Pat though.

Blurple flys work awesome

BasicPatrick
09-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Swimmer
Salty what you have to do is find out where BasicPatrick is fishing and cast just to his left when the bluefish he has tight on his spinning gear is about fifty feet from the beach. Thats what I did over the Vineyard last year and I copped first place in the derby with that strategy. First you have to find Pat though.

I'd comment Mr Swimmer but I am practicing for a little over two weeks from now...

THE FIRST RULE OF SP....

fishweewee
09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Mike,

I like to use sliders or poppers when flyrodding for blues.

Or, if you have some ratty clousers that are tied with a lot of flash/sparkle those are great too (maybe throw an extra coat of Sally Hansen hard as nails on the wraps). Favorite bluefish colors are chartreuse/white and pink/white.

Definitely helps to have to tie-able wire tippet if you're deliberately targeting them.

During the day, there are huge schools of blues within flycasting range right on the Newport rocks. From the beach in Narragansett, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is the best spot for the fly rodder.

-WW

Skip N
09-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I have been getting a lot of blues blizting very tight to shore down at Barrington on the fly rod. Early AM just as the sun comes up has been money for me for the past 5 days or so. Havent been the biggest fish but def seeing signs of some biggens making a puch in. I didnt need to cast more than 10 feet the other day to get fish. I mainly just use foam poppers or any kind of 3-4 inch deciever will do the job. Def use some kind of wire leader though. The blues dont care about those so its all good! You will love gettin some blues on the fly rod! nothing like it as far as im concerned. Hope you get into some

Saltheart
09-02-2004, 07:58 AM
In the past i have used black and white deceivers and chartruese and white deceivers. I have plenty since I like to use them as teasers when popping for stripers.

Thanks for the info everyone!.

Swimmer
09-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Patrick I practiced to no avail from shore yesterday. Waded out in a rocky area and two smalls boats decided to fish real close to shore because they thought I had something going. That close to shore trolling took care of whatever I had going. I wont be on the island till the 30th. Look forward to spending time with you and everyone else. I believe we will both be upstairs (3rd floor) so plase bring the machine, please.