View Full Version : Let's Be Careful Out There

Crafty Angler
09-04-2004, 06:29 AM
It's probably not exactly news to anyone on the coast, but Frances is pushing a helluva swell ahead of her. It blows my mind that she's over the Bahamas and we're already feeling this kind of effect. Does anybody know the distance between Rhody and the Bahamas in nm's?

I took Mrs Crafty to Second Beach for a surf session yesterday (this is my 41st year as a surf dude - an old surf dude, maybe, but I can still rip on a good day) - anyway, it was a very solid 6-8' and building with a killer rip - literally- and undertow in a coupla hundred yards of Maytag style whitewater -

Sadly, I ust heard on this morning's news that a 20 year old surfer drowned at Green Hill Beach.

So I'm not gonna state the obvious - just use your head for more than a hat rack, as Dad used to say.

Be real careful out there - there are gonna be some damned big sneaker sets coming thru and don't let yourselves get fooled by the lulls in between.

fishweewee
09-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Was hoping to sneak out on Sunday for a bit of fishing in the area.

Frances has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but still....

BrianS
09-04-2004, 07:39 AM
its very strange here... (mrytle beach)

the ocean almost looked calm this morning

easy to be fooled though because the beach is still flagged with cautions and redflagged in areas with a known rip

still gotta wait a few days to go out :(

milo
09-04-2004, 09:05 AM
was out there this morning and it was big:eek: ,only managed 2 small fish,was that you Chuck driving towards the FORT at about 8:30?

leptar
09-04-2004, 09:15 AM
was out there aswell this AM.. pretty nasty sneaky waves.. Didn't want to chance it where I was as the water was breaking and pushing 20+ feet up and over... :eek:

Tried the bay side pulled some shorts and 1 nice fluke out felt the rest of the AM was going to be a waste..

Crafty Angler
09-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by milo
was out there this morning and it was big:eek: ,only managed 2 small fish,was that you Chuck driving towards the FORT at about 8:30?

:tooth:

SmokeBringer
09-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Was out (boat - my 25' Angler "tank") all day yesterday and spent some time around Beavertail, and surrounding areas. The swell was very "long wavelength" and around 3-4' but NO CHOP since winds were light, so it was a smooth ride all day.

The problem with those big long swells is when they work into shallow water which can cause some serious surf conditions. You surf-casters will surely have an "interesting" couple of days with this current sea state.

basswipe
09-05-2004, 08:54 AM
It was a "little" rough out there Fri. night.Was to tired from my all-nighter Fri. to go out again last night.Might head out tomorrow morning and/or night.

rwilhelm
09-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Surfed Gansett yesterday waves were anywhere from 3-8. Was a little tough though because they were closing out fast.