View Full Version : Heave

Clammer
09-04-2004, 03:02 PM
the guys that have been out front today =========can I fish out front after dark tonight //Jamestown //inside Brenton & still get up close /or is going to be too dangerous /////Thanks for the info ////////////////////:confused: :confused:

B-assman
09-04-2004, 04:17 PM
It's pretty rough out there!! Zacs and I went out toward brenton reef this morning about 7:30am. Looked do-able as we went out - as we got closer the swells got HUGE. The breakers over the reef were really a sight to see. Should have been a clue to us when we noticed that NOBODY was out there this morning.

IMHO - Better to be safe and live to fish another day than risk the reef at night in these conditions.

Clammer
09-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Yep =Figured //but the next 3-4 days will be worse:smash:

afterhours
09-04-2004, 04:24 PM
was at pt jude last nite, BIG SURF!!

Nebe
09-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Clamemr... think west side ;)

Crafty Angler
09-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Clamma - think WAY up the bay - it's a big freakin' swell on the Reef and over at the Tail with real healthy sets in between - me and John R were watching it this morning -

Better safe than.....you know the rest -

Clammer
09-04-2004, 06:01 PM
' Think from shore:D

Got Stripers
09-04-2004, 08:14 PM
I wasn't even going to chance it in my boat and then ironically this evening coming into Boston harbor I had my hands full to say the least. Flat arse calm all afternoon and hot, but as soon as the NE blow started man I lucked into a bass bite that was unreal for several hours. I never moved from one 50 foot area and it was a bass a cast until the waves started to build to a point, I decided I'd better beat feet for safety reasons. Well the 4 mile run back to the harbor entrance was wet but managable, but the standing waves from the entrance to Hull Gut were bad with the strong NE and outgoing tide. I had to tack my way in and under more power than I'd normally need, just to keep my bow from plowing under. I was soaked at the end, but happy to be inside and back on the trailer. Schoolie and the boss know where, not spots to be burned hehe.

BigBo
09-04-2004, 09:30 PM
GS, Thought I saw you out there today. Trip back in wasn't fun was it. We were out a bit further getting our arses handed to us in that sea.:shocked: :hidin:

fishaholic18
09-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah, big bass out there today, up to 40#.
That's all I can say.:rolleyes:

Clammer
09-05-2004, 12:44 AM
a few schoolies from shore tonite ///BTS out of @#$%^& BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFISH////////:D

SmokeBringer
09-05-2004, 06:19 AM
Sea conditions around Beavertail were surprisingly good yesterday - BUT the swells were and will continue to POUND the surf and anywhere where this is breaking waves. So us boaters will have a better time assuming the wind stays on the light side.

I did see one guy get too close to the beach (around Narrow River entrance) yesterday and he found out how much power those long low swells have as they build up in shallow water. After a couple of "ass end over elbows" but he finally manuvered away from the breakwater.

bud8fan
09-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Went out with Mike(Fishingfreak) out of the Harbor yesterday morning. Little choppy heading out but once out there(40-45 miles offshore) it just layed down and the sun beat on us!
Managed to get a decent catch of Haddock and Cod and Mike did manage to hook up with this! Even when small they are mean once they hit the deck!!

Just as quick as the wind layed down it picked up out of no where around 230-300 pm. So off we went! Like Bob mentioned the heave sure was building near Hull and the entrance of the harbor!Got pretty chilly to boot!!! Brhhhh!!!

But lucky for us we were in Mikes 30' Grady!!:D

bud8fan
09-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Didnt look rough from the back of the boat though!!:rolleyes: