View Full Version : Why needles and I'm sick of garbage.

basswipe
09-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Why do needlefish work so well?I've just recently aquired a source of needlefish and have been doing well with them.
What makes them so great?

Secondly.Anybody been bringing a garbage with them?I've started bringing one with me.The amount of garbage I'm picking up is staggering:af: .I'm getting tired of it.

green meanie
09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
i picked up some garbage someone left near some beach houses which consisted of hook packages and empty clam belly containers. i didnt feel like getting blamed for it and dont really want to see it either. its not hard to back pack it out. but the one week a fisherman dosnt care if they shut down the spots or not.

Nebe
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
needles work because they mimic many types of bait... they look like sand eels, they look like squid, they look like spearing, they look like garfish, they look like american eels... get the picture.. also the action on some of the needles is such that with a slooow retrieve, a big fat lazy bass looks at them as an easy meal. also, if your using a sinking needlefish, you are able to hit layers of the water colum that bombers would never get down to...

make sense?

basswipe
09-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Eben
needles work because they mimic many types of bait... they look like sand eels, they look like squid, they look like spearing, they look like garfish, they look like american eels... get the picture.. also the action on some of the needles is such that with a slooow retrieve, a big fat lazy bass looks at them as an easy meal. also, if your using a sinking needlefish, you are able to hit layers of the water colum that bombers would never get down to...

make sense?

In my limited expeience fishing with needles they certainly are very versatile.

cheferson
09-07-2004, 09:38 PM
I was thinking about picking up some trash over at castle hill sometime in the next week or two if anyone else wants to help out. I havent been out there sense may, but even then it was loaded up im sure its a lot worse now. I have a pickup for all the trash and can get big, thick bags from my work.

Arzic Olivier
09-08-2004, 03:11 AM
... is a great idea !

Surfers and windsurfers do it, even if it's only once a year, but they communicate a lot about it.

So just gather, chose a number of places, clean it all, take pictures, send them to the local papers, and educate people.

This will be great for the fishermen's image.

My .02 opinion...

theSURF121
09-08-2004, 04:29 AM
The same individuals who poach fish are responsible for much of the litter I find. Find out the number of your regional environmental conservation officer and store it in your cell phone.

PurpelNoon
09-08-2004, 06:01 AM
There's a spot I fish in NY on LI. Its a place you need a fishing or 4 wheel drive permit to fish. There is a garbage can placed about every 50 feet but somehow there is makes no difference. When fishing is low, I purposely take one piece of garbage at a time and I walk past the probable perpetrators to the garbage can to make a point. They look at me like I'm stupid. I guess it makes no difference.
Since fines dont scare them, since they probably dont pay, maybe a sign in 5 different language stating that if someone litters, they risk losing their fish. I dont know, I give up on a hopeless cause. I just clean up as much as I can, and teach the youth so maybe they will learn the right way.

Mr. Sandman
09-08-2004, 06:54 AM
I hate to see trash too. I would love to see the fines really increased (like $5000) and cops *really* enforce them. We need an incentive system. ...Let the cop personally keep $1000 of the fine...you would see cops finding every person that litters no problem.

There is NO reason at all to litter. It is something you do knowingly and speaks for your upbringing.

Saltheart
09-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Smokey and I pick up so much trash at the canal I'm surprised we don't smell like gargabe trucks when done. Smokey is especially fanatical. He walks up and down in the rip wrap picking up garbage from pole to pole. The thing that kills me is its mostly coffeee cups and soda bottles , etc. If each guy just took his one cup out each time , you wouldn't end up with 30 floating by when the next moon high tide swabs the rocks.

We see groups of 5 or 6 guys all just standing around all night just drinking coffee and shooting the bull. They take up the spot , they don't even fish for more than 1/2 an hour in a 6 hour night , then they leave behind a ton of coffeee cups and bags etc.

Mike P
09-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by PurpelNoon
There's a spot I fish in NY on LI. Its a place you need a fishing or 4 wheel drive permit to fish. There is a garbage can placed about every 50 feet but somehow there is makes no difference. When fishing is low, I purposely take one piece of garbage at a time and I walk past the probable perpetrators to the garbage can to make a point. They look at me like I'm stupid. I guess it makes no difference.
Since fines dont scare them, since they probably dont pay, maybe a sign in 5 different language stating that if someone litters, they risk losing their fish. I dont know, I give up on a hopeless cause. I just clean up as much as I can, and teach the youth so maybe they will learn the right way.

Know the place. When they allowed parking at the rocks under permit, I said then that it would take about two weeks for it to be a pig sty.

When you had to walk all of 200 yards to get there, it was cleaner.

There's a correlation between laziness and slob-ness :af:

PurpelNoon
09-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Ive noticed that they have a guy who consistently checks access and permits there now. It wont stop littering but its a start.