View Full Version : Is Anyone Impressed With Ichiro Suzuki's Season Stats?

BigFish
09-11-2004, 08:21 PM
They are ranting and raving on WEEI all week about Ichiro's stats in regards to how many hits he could end up with this season. He has an outside shot at breaking #^&#^&#^&#^& Sislers long standing record of 257 hits in a season!:huh: I am pretty sure Sisler set his mark in a shorter season (154 games) than the 162 game schedule of today......however I am impressed that Ichiro has only played in 139 games thus far.....he currently has 229 hits in 610 at-bats.....22 doubles...5 triples....8 homers..... :rolleyes: man, talk about a singles hitter! He only has 39 walks and his batting average is .375 currently. They are talking on EEI about his being in the running for League MVP....that is a laugh in my opinion! You got a guy like Manny who is hitting ?????? .320 I think with 40 homers and 120 batted in.....is there even a comparison there?:confused: What do you guys think of the fact that Ichiro could break that record? I think he is a fine hitter, but he does little to make his team better! Opinions? Conjecture?;)

afterhours
09-11-2004, 08:32 PM
ichiro's a very good ball player, pretty much a one man show out there. as far as mvp consideration goes- way off base in my opinion. make one hell of a leadoff hitter for the sox:) i think he'd have to hit at over a .400 clip to break that record, don't see it happening. manny= mvp.:)

Squid kids Dad
09-11-2004, 08:58 PM
In short..NO!!

BigFish
09-11-2004, 09:20 PM
SKD....could you be more to the point?:laughs:

vio
09-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Not really. He's a slap and scoot hitter who's more concerned with breaking Sisler's record than his team winning.

CSK
09-12-2004, 10:30 AM
You got that right VIO, that little bunt thing he did Friday Thursday night shows what a selfing pr!ck he is.

schoolie monster
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I think he'd be great to have as a table setter and he's good defensively too... but MVP?

First of all, the MVP is the league's most valuable player right? Not most valuable to your team, right?

Its why I thought A-Rod winning it was a joke... how valuable can you be if your team is 30 games out? Its got to lead to wins. A player's value is definitely linked to wins.

Stats don't win games.

To me, an MVP has got to be a difference maker, a game changer... Manny is definitely that.. Bonds is definitely that... Sheffield has been that this season.

If Seattle was competing, would Ichiro be an MVP candidate?

Yes, I think he would. He is just a singles hitter, but every one of his singles can end up a double with his speed. And he can get himself in scoring position more than most players... BUT...

I'm never gonna choose him over the guy that drives him in every night. The guy that can change a game with every swing and often does.

But bottom line... they stink so all the infield slaps to short and 3rd obviously can't make them competitive. So he ain't all that valuable. He's no Johnny Damon :)

BigFish
09-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Schoolie Monster....gotta disagree with you on one point.....if every one of his singles could end up a double, why does he only have 22 doubles? That is not alot of doubles at all, especially when he is gonna wind up with about 250 hits!:smash: 22 doubles, 5 triples, 8 homers.....and 199 singles???? (he has 229 hits currently) That sucks in my book! Only 54 runs batted in? All those singles on a bad team like that, I would bat him 3rd or 4th.....he would knock in more runs than he scores!:huh:

Surfcastinglife
09-13-2004, 04:55 PM
gotta disagree with u batting him 3/4 bigfish a lot of his hits are INFIELD singles that he legs out most of those would turn into fielders choices with a runner on ;P or double plays with guys at first/second (he'd get to first but third and second would be thrown out) hes a leadoff hitter a good one will get on base a lot but def not mvp caliber simply because of what he does. its like giving a lineman in the nfl the mvp award. he may be a big part of ur success but just doesnt possess the game changing ability that entails mvp consideration