View Full Version : Any OLD applaince repairmen out there?

C-5 CC
09-13-2004, 11:20 AM
We have a 1948 or 49 Kelvinator Stove. I know, I know...get rid of it and get a new one..blah..blah..blah. Anyway, this is a great old stove, but we have had trouble lately w/ the oven. We will set it for 350, push in the preheat button, and when it pops out, put the stuff in the oven...walk away...come back in twenty minutes and the temp has fallen to 200-250 and wont raise back up, no matter what we set it at.
The local applaince guy says we are screwed...no parts available anywhere. Kelvinator was sold off many years ago.
Do any of you know of any locations that we might be able to get parts from. The local guy says it sounds like a bad thermostat. Any info would be appreciated.
Brandon

C-5 CC
09-13-2004, 11:21 AM
another pic

maddog2020
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Sounds like the thermostat to me as well.

Locate the old one and buy any other one that will fit in the space.

I think some one wants to sell you a new unit. ;)

We had an OLD Roper when we moved into the house - my wife complains its too small and it doesn't hold temperature and blah blah blah. I borrow a thermocouple from work and stick it in - oven is dead nutz on temp. :) We did replace it with a much larger stove that had 6 burners and a massive oven and its got a chic hood w/ a heat lamp as well.

If ya wife and you bake a lot then you would appreciate a new stove. :) If you don't do that much then just fix it yourself (remember to UNPLUG it before you work on it !!)

C-5 CC
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks Ray,
When I get a chance I will look for the t-stat. Any Idea where I would find it?
Brandon

chris L
09-13-2004, 12:21 PM
dont get a new one just yet ! you cant find them made like that anymore ! there are parts around just probably not local .

zacs
09-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Search the internet hard. You will find parts. I gaurantee it.

I just threw "Kelvinator Stove Parts" on Google and got a ton of hits that I bet have the part....

_Z_

maddog2020
09-13-2004, 01:56 PM
You should be able to see some kind of opening into the cavity of the stove. The thermocouple usually looks about 1/8" diameter rod and should go into the inside of the oven a few inches. If you can pull the stove away from the wall look on the back for the wiring.

It could come thru the top under the cook top as well. Pop it up and take a peek. Open up the bottom broiler pan and look there as well. ;)

I am working off a general idea of how the ovens we use here are controlled w/ a thermostat. Your home oven is going to be different. My home oven is gas all around so it is different from your electric one. :)