View Full Version : Seeing Red - Did You Hear About This?

Jimbo
09-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Be curious to hear what people think about this. If anyone has heard it before. Apparently, nation-wide, there's a push on to have teachers stop correcting papers and assignments in red because red connotes a sense of violence, war, danger, fire, bloodshed. Instead they're promoting the use of pink and purple, because Johnny might be getting a complex and turned off to school with all the subliminal messages his teacher's corrections are sending him.
All I'll say now is BAH! Unless someone convinces me otherwise, this topic is not worth the ink the almost full page article was written on. Red is the universal color for corrections. A big red "C" means ya done good, anything "X" means ya got more work to do to get it right. "Spare the red spoil the child". Send back my corrections in pink and I'll get a complex because you think I'm gay. Mikey, weigh in on this one please. Would you send back corrected papers in pink or purple possibly a nice powder blue?

BrianS
09-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Hopefully it will all come full circle in time..

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest if my kid got the paddle in school for being a troublemaker..

Bring it all back!

likwid
09-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Be curious to hear what people think about this. If anyone has heard it before. Apparently, nation-wide, there's a push on to have teachers stop correcting papers and assignments in red because red connotes a sense of violence, war, danger, fire, bloodshed. Instead they're promoting the use of pink and purple, because Johnny might be getting a complex and turned off to school with all the subliminal messages his teacher's corrections are sending him.
All I'll say now is BAH! Unless someone convinces me otherwise, this topic is not worth the ink the almost full page article was written on. Red is the universal color for corrections. A big red "C" means ya done good, anything "X" means ya got more work to do to get it right. "Spare the red spoil the child". Send back my corrections in pink and I'll get a complex because you think I'm gay. Mikey, weigh in on this one please. Would you send back corrected papers in pink or purple possibly a nice powder blue?

Whats next? Blame the teachers for Columbine?

Surfcastinglife
09-14-2004, 02:07 PM
there was a report in the herald about students complainin they cant concentrate cuz their teachers are dressing provocatively

likwid
09-14-2004, 02:29 PM
My gf is a substitute teacher on the side, I'll yell at her. :D

Surfcastinglife
09-14-2004, 02:44 PM
hahaha :D it was mainly kids in boston public schools some from braintree though. said the teachers were wearing skirts and spaghetti straps 2 school

bart
09-14-2004, 04:15 PM
you gotta be $hittin me :rolleyes:

Jimbo
09-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Surfcastinglife, my daughter is in 9th grade, and will be the first class to graduate from the new high school in our town. I had to drop off something for her at school yesterday and almost had a testicular meltdown when I walked into the teacher's room instead of the office. Talk about a young staff, the women didn't even look much older than jail bait and dressed as such. I don't know how the 9th grade boys contain their....well...zeal.
Bart, no I ain't $hittin' ya. I can see another useless waste of taxpayers money, but hey, since McGreevey came out, maybe pink and violet pens are apropos for male teachers now.

Surfcastinglife
09-14-2004, 06:53 PM
i dunno i graduated last year and all my teachers were hags....damnit!

bart
09-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Surfcastinglife, my daughter is in 9th grade, and will be the first class to graduate from the new high school in our town. I had to drop off something for her at school yesterday and almost had a testicular meltdown when I walked into the teacher's room instead of the office. Talk about a young staff, the women didn't even look much older than jail bait and dressed as such. I don't know how the 9th grade boys contain their....well...zeal.
Bart, no I ain't $hittin' ya. I can see another useless waste of taxpayers money, but hey, since McGreevey came out, maybe pink and violet pens are apropos for male teachers now.

:laughs:

RickBomba
09-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Mikey loves pink, I'm sure he'd correct all the papers in the world for everybody with his favorite color.
PS- If there's no pink around, Mikey also loves rainbow colors!
Later,
Rick

green meanie
09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
are totally different. they are pushing for the sports jock look and everyone should look like brittnet spears?

i never see teachers here dressing with any skin showing.

Rappin Mikey
09-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Yes, it is true. This is precisely the reason why I have come out so demented. Seriously though, I wish I could snap a photo of the new intern that just started working here. She is a twenty-something, blonde, Croatian, with a kicking body. I can't believe what she is wearing today either. Let's just say that her pants are so tight, she might as well not be wearing anything at all. I wonder if she knows that sex offenders make up a decent portion of my school? Alright, I know, I just got engaged. But huba-huba-huba:drool:

Skip N
09-16-2004, 09:07 AM
And they wonder why the kids are dumber than ever? They do stupid crap like this so no one gets there feelings hurt. I havent been outta school that long and let me tell ya....there is NO dicipline....The teachers cant do anything and its sad. We put more and more $$$ into schools every year and we get no results...When are people gonna realize that money has nothing to do with performance....Its dicipline and not wanting to offend the kids thats the problem....we need the paddle!!!:D

The Dad Fisherman
09-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Rappin Mikey
Alright, I know, I just got engaged. But huba-huba-huba:drool:

Just because your on a Diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu

Surfcastinglife
09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
tdf hahahaha great analogy =D

Bass Nut
09-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Correct it in red and discipline the kids when they need as we were. We all turned out OK.... mostly. :D :D

Red A or B is great! throw on a gold star as well, please and thank you. I'll hang it on the fridge.

Red C,D or F you got some work to do. Hit the books

This is dumb. we put more and more money into schools every year and the kids are getting dumber and dumberer. :rolleyes:

Saltheart
09-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Its not right to tell a kid his answere is wrong. He may get a complex.

Lets face it , in another reality or on a distant planet in another galaxy or in a Romance Novel or Sci Fi book , his answere may be right.

Lets have open minds to all possible answeres or the kids will grow up with complexes.

smooth53_98
09-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Kids need to EARN self esteem, not be given it!

Skip N
09-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Its not right to tell a kid his answere is wrong. He may get a complex.

Lets face it , in another reality or on a distant planet in another galaxy or in a Romance Novel or Sci Fi book , his answere may be right.

Lets have open minds to all possible answeres or the kids will grow up with complexes.

:rolleyes:

Jimbo
09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Other than the time wasted over the color of a teacher's correction pen, which by the way, some of the most influential teachers in my past wielded like Tombstone gun slingers did their six shooters is this whole idea not doing anything that would even remotely demoralize or lower a kid's self esteem. So there's a push on now for sports teams to take anyone who shows up, no cuts and the coach may not even suggest to a kid that he's not cutting it. This was probably a great idea from some administrator who never stepped on a playing field before. But it totally backfires, because the nerd, who would have been done a favor by being cut, now has to endure being ragged on, stuffed in lockers, goofed on, and generally, cruelly abused by his teammates and probably ends up with more of a complex than had the coach told him maybe he'd be better off on the chess club. Believe me, I hear it from my cheerleader about just such a kid playing football. Too stubborn to quit, will probably never play, yet he shows up day after day to the abuse of his teammates and the coach is powerless to step in. I just hope she ducks the day he shows up with his assault weapon.
I think great strides in education are being made, but I also think it's pretty sad when educators tell the kids what's best for them and never ask the kids what they want.

The Dad Fisherman
09-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Believe me, I hear it from my cheerleader about just such a kid playing football. Too stubborn to quit, will probably never play, yet he shows up day after day to the abuse of his teammates and the coach is powerless to step in.

Hey give the kid credit, at least he's sticking to his guns. One of the biggest problems I see w/ kids is that they just walk around w/ that "Whatever" attitude and don't stick w/ anything......except video games.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that any kid should be allowed to try out but has to realize that he might not make it. Then if he really wants it he has to work hard and keep trying.

I also don't think its the teachers responsibility to discipline my kids...its mine. The teacher has the responsiblity to let me know my kid is screwing up, then I'll take over. I see to many parents that tip toe around there kids and just won't read them the riot act when they desparately are in need of it. they try to handle it w/ Psycho-babble or medication. I think parents need to let there kids know just who exactly is the boss.....and its not them.

Jimbo
09-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Believe me, my heart goes out to the kid for having the stones to stick it out, too, and I'd like nothing better than to see him go off and workout all next summer, and come back next year and cram some humble pie down some throats. But right now in time I think maybe he'd be better off exploring his talents in other areas. I couldn't agree more with you, TDF, on the "Whatever" attitude. A lot of kids also get this attitude that if they're not starting, they aren't even going to stick it out on the team. Don't know where this sense of bloated ego or attitude stems from, that they don't get the concept of 'team', but it's rather disheartening in a way that they find it so easy to say, "I quit". That attitude isn't going to get them very far in life.
Discipline is definitely the parents responsibility, and hopefully, where it concerns our educators, it includes respect.

chris L
09-16-2004, 02:24 PM
seems that most kids need a good kick in the ass these days . "oh johnny you need to take a time out " "f^%$ you mom " "oh hes just acting out from TV viewing "
no hes a spoiled little brat ! kick his butt !

I heard today they want to make it a law to have sensors installed in vehicles to notify us when our air in our tires are low .

whats next ? expecting teachers and priests to take care of our kids ? oh thats been that way for years .

society is heading right into the crapper !

smooth53_98
09-16-2004, 03:04 PM
A friend of mine is a 3rd grade teacher... he has been instructed not to make the kids carry too many books home... otherwise their backpacks will be too heavy. (Not that their parents pick them all up right at the door... not like the days of when we all had to walk a couple of miles uphill each way in the snow).

That is a load of crap if you ask me. I can remember dragging every last book I was assigned home... and not being able to fit them all in my backpack. You know what happened as a result? I got stronger from carrying all those books. I also figured out when the heck I had a few extra moments to try to knock off an assignment so I didn't have to carry the extra books.

No red markers, not too many books. At this rate, we should just hand them HS diplomas for showing up half the time.

Redsoxticket
09-16-2004, 03:42 PM
The teachers should stand up in cases where the students and families lack of accountability and responsibility are part of the failure in their studies.

However, teachers are reluctant to speak up for reasons of their own agenda one of which is job security.

If the school superendendant and school committe are elected by the people and/or mayor and town concilors and if the teachers speak up, the families of students will unlikely reelect the school officials.

Jimbo
09-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Smooth53_98, where did you go to school in NJ that you had to walk uphill in both going to and coming from school? Just kidding. Yea, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a list of things got going for them today that make life in school a cake walk versus what we went through. My kids have me making gourmet lunches for them to take to school or buying it there. my mother gave us deviled ham about an eighth of an inch thick on Wonderbread, an apple and I got a dime to buy milk. They get $75.00 sneakers and $100.00 athletic shoes, I got PF Flyers and a pair of cleats that were about 50 years old and reconditioned each year after the season ended. Backpack? I never got no stinkin backpack. If I had the ordacity to write in any color but black or blue it was points off. My old man was a teacher, old school type, in the same district as me. One day another teacher called to say I cut his class, turns out I had cut the whole day. My old man said, "You want to know what kids who don't go to high school do all day?" I said, "OK, sure." (Mind you I liked high school). He had me dig a hole for a drywell. Taking a pee was something you did on your own time, between classes, in the four minutes you had to leave class, get to your locker and get to your next class. Now teachers are not allowed to say no, no matter how often you ask.

RickBomba
09-20-2004, 08:11 AM
WEEEEE Don't need no stinking backpacks.....
I used to carry around an old hockey bag in High School full of books...Catholic School was great.
In all seriousness, those guys there told you how it was, there was no reproach for their actions. Think I turned out OK, but Mikey got kicked out of there twice. Think he turned out OK too, but I think the experience gave us a much different view on responsibility and hard work than a lot of other people did.
Rick

bloocrab
09-20-2004, 11:31 AM
My kids have me making gourmet lunches for them ... - "Jimbo"

:confused: :confused:

Discipline is definitely the parents responsibility... - "Jimbo"

:laughs: I don't have any kids, but I find those 2 statements funny. Who's disciplining Who in that scenario? I know you were referring to teachers about the discipline thing...but it still made me chuckle . . . Like I said, I'm no parent so I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about...AND I'm definately not trying to disrespect ANYone here....as a possible-future parent I would just like to share my opinion.

I honestly believe both parents have to feel the same about raising their child. One cannot over-ride the other in the child's presence. One parent must have the final say. What he/she does wrong today will still be wrong tomorrow. Don't let your child see a difference in your mood as to deciding what's right or how you discipline them for that day, whether your in the mood to discipline or not, you MUST show the child his/her actions were wrong AND what the child should have done in that situation. Some /(most) parents are too lenient today, they're not in the mood to be a parent (I see alot of these cases when the parent is still a child themself). Children have TOO MUCH decision making responsibilities. Parenst don't seem to want to deal with the responsibility of being....a parent, which in my eyes means making A-LOT of their early decisions FOR them. I am constantly in the retail environment and see it everyday - - most kids rule most situations. I believe - IT HAS TO BE DONE FROM THE BEGINNING. Once a child reaches a certain age, they will do what THEY think is best and suffer the consequences, that's why it has to be done from the beginning. Parents must discipline themselves when it comes to raising their children, it's a bigger responsibility than most think when planning to start a family. As much as it pains a parent to discipline that cute little child . .. letting them have their way from the beginning will bite them in the rear over and over. Like I said, I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about ...yet...:hihi:...but I felt the need to share my opinion.

P.S.....I also love these............

The parent:: "Come here son,,,.............I said COME HERE!!.....1.....2.............3.................. ..4........................................5"
After the count of 5 the parent repeats themself and starts again..."..1.....2............"

I LOVE THOSE!! :laughs: :laughs: ....when my father/mother called me....if I chose not to go, there was going to be some pain involved when I finally went, OR MORE PAIN if they had to come to me. My parents didn't speak just to hear their own voices. ;)

Jimbo
09-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Well as far as my own kids go, they pretty much have me wrapped around their little fingers, but they definitely know their limits and don't press them because they know while I am not big on corporal punishment I will make the punishment fit the crime. But you're right about one thing, start off when they're young getting them to abide by your rules. Kids are like puppies. If you start training them young you're more likely not to have problems later on. Of course when they get to be teenagers it's a whole new battle. I don't know many parents who haven't had to go thru a little refresher training on that front. Especially the day they wake up and decide they are going to cop-a-'tude with their parents and other adults. It's best to nip this one in the bud as quickly as possible, if you don't I think it can very easily blossem onto issues of respect and simple consideration for others. I find this to be a bigger deal for me than acting up once in a while. I've had to use the DeNiro line on a couple of my daughters friends who suddenly felt the need to jump down MY throat for no reason. "You talkin' to me? I don't see anyone else here! So you must be talking to ME?"

Rappin Mikey
09-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Yup, I got kicked out of Catolic high school a couple of times. I got kicked out of college once as well. But look at me now, molding the minds of today's youth.

bloocrab
09-20-2004, 03:07 PM
You got kicked out of alot of places huh Mikey.. . .... . .I'm wondering why they haven't kicked your butt off those Provincetown beaches yet......:cool: ....

Don't answer that . . ... . .. :bshake: . .. .I think I know the answer

////and again, NO disrespect meant to you parents out there - I don't know what it's like . ...

fishsmith
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Today at lunch in Quincy, 3 kids in a car all under 5 yrs old, not one buckled or in a carseat, I'd of yelled to the mother, but her radio was to loud.
Sad state of affairs.