View Full Version : Types of Paint?

partsjay
09-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I was curious what types of paints some of you use. I have always been a spray can painter, but might have access to a airbrush set up. Was wondering what some of you guys like? Do you guys use spray cans or air brush your plugs? Also what kinds of paint do you use through a airbrush, I have never used one before? Thanks for the help. Jay

Bernzy
09-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Most builders here use Createx acrylics.They have lots of colors and are usually sprayable without thinning. Another choice would be Delta Ceramcote which is available at Walmart or craft stores.
The advantages of the Delta paints is that they are inexpensive, and have lots of colors. The drawback is that they need to be thinned. I usually thin them 100% to the cosistancy of milk, therefore I get 4oz. of sprayable paint out of a 2oz. bottle.

I hope this helps.

Bernzy

Motor Fish
09-14-2004, 04:32 PM
I personally prefer using an airbrush with createx paints. I picked up the basic colors at Michaels Craft Store and mix them up to whatever I want. Works for me.

Picked up my airbrush for $5 at Ocean State Job Lot.

crashfromamesbury
09-14-2004, 04:40 PM
bernzy,

that delta paint, water based or do you need thinner..?

Backbeach Jake
09-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Motor Fish
I personally prefer using an airbrush with createx paints. I picked up the basic colors at Michaels Craft Store and mix them up to whatever I want. Works for me.

Picked up my airbrush for $5 at Ocean State Job Lot.
Me too. If you wait for the sales , you can get "Traditions" acrylic for 48 cents a bottle, 99 cents for metallics. They work great. The OSJL airbrush are slightly adjustable. For 5.99 a great deal!

l.i.fish.in.vt
09-14-2004, 06:32 PM
i use oilbased exterior enamel in my airbrush.the colors are not asextensive as the waterbased createx paints but the fish really don't mind.

Bernzy
09-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by crashfromamesbury
bernzy,

that delta paint, water based or do you need thinner..?

The Delta paint is water based.

partsjay
09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
What type of a compressor is needed to run one of thoses airbrushes....I saw one from grizzly thats like $59 or soomething like that. I also heard ( don't know if it's true ) but some people use balloons? That doesn't seem like enough air pressure to do much of anything. Thanks for the help guys. Jay

Bernzy
09-15-2004, 01:26 PM
The one at Grizzly for $49 will do the job, however having used that type before, I found them to be very noisy as they ran constantly. Last year I purchased a 2 gallon 100 psi "hotdog" compressor from Home Depot for around $80.00 and it works like a champ.

Bernzy

Backbeach Jake
09-15-2004, 08:59 PM
I bought the Sears 98 buck special. It also airs up the sand sled. For a C note I'm happy.