View Full Version : lobster pots

Mr. Sandman
09-20-2004, 11:02 AM
:af:

Enough it enough! Some clown littered one of my favorite spots with tons of lobster pots. It looks like a mine field now. Fishing there at night will be a nighmare:af: I was pissed that was a good spot.

fishsmith
09-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Take a ride up here, pots are everywhere. I added 4 to the mix this year, so I'm not helping the cause any :hidin:

angler management
09-20-2004, 11:28 AM
I agree they get in the way off some good spots.

I don't mind individual pots with a marker.

Its the pots that are linked together. I always end up snaging the the line on the bottom with the anchor.

It's hard pulling up a line of pots by hand:D

But I will not just cut an anchor line unless all else fails.

NEXT2NUN
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Geez Sandman, where out there isn't polluted with gear. I fish a few traps on this side, and I still can't stand the sight of them. The minimum size went up this July, hopefully this will discourage some and they won't renew next year.

Raider Ronnie
09-20-2004, 05:23 PM
You gotta love when they set them in the chanels and use 1 gal milk jugs for bouys:smash:
I got one caught in my prop about 1 month ago:af:

KLMulder
09-20-2004, 05:29 PM
I have gotten very good a snaging them with bloooooo Fish. 3 time this year in trolling along get a blooooooooo and had it take off and swim abound the line multiple times. What a pain it is to try to get your gear off the line with a blue snapping around at you.:af:

Van
09-21-2004, 07:39 AM
They ran a program in Duxbury (Deluxbury) volunteers and lobstermen removed 220 tons of junk gear from the ocean.

220 TONS !!!!!. GOOD RIDDANCE....

Now if they would just remove the 1,000,000 tons of gear from
Boston harbor area I would be happy.

SM..I feel your pain....I've lost many fish, gear and anchors on that crap.:af: :af:

09-21-2004, 08:39 AM
The real special ones would be the morons who put them out and do not have enough line to keep the buoy afloat during high tides. :smash:

Nebe
09-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 179
The real special ones would be the morons who put them out and do not have enough line to keep the buoy afloat during high tides. :smash:
oh dont get me started! there are a few like that sown at galalee channel. I lost 2 plugs in a row on a sobmerged pot:smash:

SBASS1
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Most full time commercial lobstermen use only enough line on their gear so that the buoys are up during the slack. Therefore when the current runs the buoys will go under, and not get chewed by boats that can't or don't look out for them. Some of the places I fish the current runs hard enough to lay the buoys right on the bottom. You can actually see them come up off the bottom when the tide breaks. Still there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many pots, and in LIS there arn't many lobsters. They'll put themselves out of business. If the pots are in the way try to move them. Unfurtunatley if there trawls you don't have a chance. Please Don't cut buoys off! The gear continues to ghost fish forever. The commercial guys will grapple the stuff up, but with the goog's it's gone forever. Sorry for the rant.