View Full Version : Outer Banks 9/25-

Gotofish
09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Heading down for a week of vacation to the outer banks on Friday. Do you guys have any shore-bound fishing suggestions for someone staying in Southern Shores? I'm going to bring three rods from a 10' surf stick to my 8.5' conventional, and then the bonito stick. Figured those one of those three should work on just about any fish travelling by the shore. What lures, terminal tackle though?

fishweewee
09-20-2004, 02:43 PM
On the open ocean, your best bet for red drum is mullet chunks. Fresh mullet is available in just about any tackle shop. Use a fish finder rig, and depending on the surf, 6 to 8 ounces of weight. If you're fishing in a large crowd (like you would at Cape Point), use 25 lb. test mono for your main line and avoid braid (tangles can be a mess!) and 50-60 lb. mono shocker.

They have some nice fluke (well, strictly speaking, they're southern flounder) down there. Sharpies use live mullet. But they'll eat sandworms, and it wouldn't hurt to bring a flat of them down. Drag them on a beach like you would drifting in a boat.

For albies and Spanish Macks, most folks use a locally available tin called a stingsilver (actually, some Wal-Mart's up here stock them). Good substitutes are Deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s (all stainless, 2 oz is good), Swedish Pimples, Kastmasters and 007 Diamond jigs. Try to use 15-20 lb. test flurocarbon leader and minimize terminal tackle (no snaps, tie direct).

The offshore headboats are a lot of fun. My favorite is the Miss Hatteras - bottom fishing for snapper, triggerfish, grouper, and sea bass. On the way out and in you can bring your own 50# class standup rig to troll for wahoo (bring appropriate trolling lures and weights ).

I would definitely try to get into an offshore charter (for a few hundred bucks you can join a group as a make-up) - the Mahi fishing was fabulous this summer. :hihi:

Definitely try to fish one of the many inlets - they offer fabulous action several hours after the water peaks on the open ocean.

Have fun, I'm jealous. :crying:

Pray for SW wind!

Gotofish
09-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks WeeWee. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I'd love to go out on a charter but the $$ won't let it happen. Besides, as it's just going to be my GF and I, I can't make it a fishing centered vacation. The only thing is that the heaviest rod I'm bringing is my buddy's and it's braid. I guess we'll have to see how it goes...call me reluctant to change but I've never used braid before. Thanks again