View Full Version : reinstating the draft

Katie
09-21-2004, 09:48 AM
i was listening to the news in school and outta school and i heard a bunch about the president reinstating the draft.. if they do how do i get out of getting chosen? its kinda creepy.

Nebe
09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
:faga: :smash: :af: :mad:

ChrisH
09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
First off there is already a draft, in April. :p

I don't think you have to worry, high school kids usually do not go too high :D

tlapinski
09-21-2004, 10:18 AM
draft dodger? :smash:

ChrisH
09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
The president alone cannot call up the draft---he needs Congress to pass the legislation.

Katie
09-21-2004, 10:32 AM
see its all comfusing (discombobulated for me..) okie dokie.

fishweewee
09-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Eben
:faga: :smash: :af: :mad:

Easy, feller! :laughs:

BigFish
09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
I may be mistaken, but I do not believe women are eligible for the draft!:confused: Seeing as how the last time there was a draft women were not eligible......if there ever is a reinstatement of the draft, congress will have a decision to make!;)

fishweewee
09-21-2004, 10:47 AM
The country is better off with an all-volunteer professional armed force.

The draft would be instituted only if really needed. Like, if N. Korea, Iran, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Antarctica declared war on us. :smash:

Skip N
09-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Draft dodger aye? Just go to Canda....they love people like you up there:rolleyes: But i wouldnt worry about a draft what so ever

Skip N
09-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Sounds like a Dem scare tactic to get the youngins to vote for Kerry:mad: Oh crap, I cant say that anymore can I:smash:

chris L
09-21-2004, 11:08 AM
katie dont fret ! by the time you would be called to duty this particular conflict should be in a better condition . in the last draft we also didnt have woman doing combat roles like we do today . still aint no woman tankers !
keep studying and go to college then get a good job

The Dad Fisherman
09-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
I may be mistaken, but I do not believe women are eligible for the draft!:confused: Seeing as how the last time there was a draft women were not eligible......if there ever is a reinstatement of the draft, congress will have a decision to make!;)

Women want equal rights....this is part of it, Can't take just the good parts gotta take it all.

green meanie
09-21-2004, 05:57 PM
im glad your willing to protect your country :smash:

Stewie
09-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Congress will never approve a new draft. If they did none of them would ever be reelected and they know it.

spence
09-21-2004, 08:05 PM
The draft rumors are bunk. It's actually a democratic sponsored bill...

Now Bush calling up a massive number of National Guard, that's another story :smash:

-spence

Skip N
09-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Now Bush calling up a massive number of National Guard, that's another story

The Guard has always been called up when needed....whats so new about that?

Nebe
09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
:faga:

it wont happen. ifit does happen, like weewee said, something really really really bad happened...

plus like was said earlier, draftees would make bad soldiers

Navy Chief
09-22-2004, 07:19 AM
The Reserves and the National Guard EXIST to augment our active forces. At the start of the all-volunteer force in the 70's this was the plan. All services have been training with the guard / reserve for a very long time. There is no free ride, if you sign up for the guard / reserve thinking 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks a year is doable, get ready to go to Iraq. Take sunscreen.

I think everyone in the military would agree when I say that the draft will degrade our forces. The quality of our troops would go down alot.

"We use words like honor and courage. We use these words as a backbone of a life defending something, you use them as punchlines. I have neither the time nor inclination to explain myself to someone who sleeps under the very blanket of freedom which I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you pick up a weapon and stand a post, either way. I don't give a Damn."
-Col Nathan R. Jessup

Katie
09-22-2004, 09:49 AM
i guess you could say that i am trying to dodge it.. but even if it does get reinstated which is most likely it won't but what i'm sayin is that i do intend to goto college major in computer technology or web desgin,etc would college kids still be safe or not?

Skip N
09-22-2004, 10:31 AM
college kids were not elgibale before dont i think. Katie....DONT go around saying you want to be a draft dodger. You will get destroyed by many people if you have that attitude.....Just some friendly advice. Thats a big dishonor to many people so keep that in mind. Dont be proud of that

Katie
09-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Skip N
college kids were not elgibale before dont i think. Katie....DONT go around saying you want to be a draft dodger. You will get destroyed by many people if you have that attitude.....Just some friendly advice. Thats a big dishonor to many people so keep that in mind. Dont be proud of that

i'm not proud of having to dodge anything even like this i'm just scared.. heck i like fighting and stuff but not war lemme take a quote from the ever famous hippies "make love not war" :D

Skip N
09-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Please no hippie quotes!:D That sounds all warm and fuzzy but without gettting into more heated debates its quite clear that sometimes war is neccesry. Sad but true....Just the reality of it

bart
09-22-2004, 12:39 PM
i ain't goin to war for this cause, no friggin way. call me a draft dodger, i could care less. if i'm gonna die for something it will be for something i believe in.

green meanie
09-22-2004, 07:28 PM
everybody likes to ride the GOV't TIT until payday comes LOL...anyone who avoids shouldnt be allowed in the USA again!

Skip N
09-23-2004, 04:33 AM
i ain't goin to war for this cause, no friggin way. call me a draft dodger, i could care less. if i'm gonna die for something it will be for something i believe in

Go hang out with your canadian and french friends....you'll fit right on with them. :smash: Yea, its such a bad cause to remove a mad man who kills his own people.:rolleyes:

Mike P
09-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Don't count on college deferrments if the draft comes back. They ended a few years before the draft did the last time ;)

Been there, done that. Luckily I don't have the University of Haiphong T-shirt.

kevin d
09-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Must be nice to pick and choose what freedoms you are willing to fight for and when you are going to fight for them.

The draft is not coming any time soon. If they ever were to implement the draft they should allow college students to finish the year they are in and then off they go! No more rich and priveleged deferments.

Those "poor soldiers" won World War II.
Semper Fi!

bart
09-23-2004, 01:11 PM
i ain't goin to war for this cause, no friggin way. call me a draft dodger, i could care less. if i'm gonna die for something it will be for something i believe in

Go hang out with your canadian and french friends....you'll fit right on with them. :smash: Yea, its such a bad cause to remove a mad man who kills his own people.:rolleyes:

then why don't you enlist if your such a patriot

KLMulder
09-23-2004, 01:12 PM
USA Today 9-23-04
Kerry hints that draft could return if Bush Re-Elected

West palm beach Fla
Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry raised the possibility Wednesday that a military draft could be reinstated if voters re-elact President Bush.
At a forum with voters, Kerry said "If George Bush were to be re-elected given the way he has gone about this war and given his avoidance of responsibility in North Korea and Iran and other places, is it possible? I can't tell you."
Pentagon officials have consistently said a draft is nether necessary nor desirable, since today's military is built on volunteer service and professionalism.
There is a House proposal to bring back the draft, but it is a Democratic one.

Skip N
09-23-2004, 08:55 PM

Im here if they want me pal....Sorry for being so patroitic and have love for my country and back our troops 100%. Unlike some people on here:mad:

Surfcastinglife
09-24-2004, 11:22 AM
are only us citizens eligible for the draft? or are legal permanent residents as well(i.e. ppl with green cards :P)

green meanie
09-24-2004, 04:30 PM
i was wondering how come if you go to college you can avoid the draft?

i never understood that.

Navy Chief
09-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Folks with green cards can enlist. You just can't get a clearance.

bart
09-25-2004, 11:33 AM

Im here if they want me pal....Sorry for being so patroitic and have love for my country and back our troops 100%. Unlike some people on here:mad:
yeah, because i disagree with this president i must not support our soldiers or have love for my country. :rolleyes:

like i said before, if youre such a patriot why don't you enlist?

CAL
09-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm too old....they won't take me :laughs:

Skip N
09-25-2004, 11:50 AM
"like i said before, if youre such a patriot why don't you enlist?"

Well, apperantly you cant read....I just said if the US wants me they can have me. Just becuase I dont enlist doesnt meen i wont go if called upon. becuase i would just like any good american would if called to service. Well, everyone but you that is. You'll be in canada im sure with your other liberal friends. So you diasgree with W and thats fine. But I just hope you support the troops 100% and want us to kick ass like everyone should be wanting. Dont be like that Dem canditate and rip on the mission and tout the death toll. Thats just sick he's using that to get elected
:af:

bart
09-25-2004, 12:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Skip N
09-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Nice response...Just what i would have expected:smash:

Nebe
09-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Dont be like that Dem canditate and rip on the mission and tout the death toll. Thats just sick he's using that to get elected
:af:

how many times has our exhalted ruler mentioned 9/11 durring his re-election campaign...

we got a huge death toll there and he's capitalizing on it, you can be sure of that... :D

I agree his mission is acomplished.... time for a new prez:cool:

Skip N
09-25-2004, 02:37 PM
"time for a new prez"

Yup....but not for another fours years:D

Nebe
09-25-2004, 02:50 PM
:hs:

4 more years would complete the downward spiral quite nicely i suppose. Billions and trillions of $$ more in debt..... thousands if not tens of thousands more US soldiers dead, millions of newely formed terrorists ready to kill americans... :laughs:.... oh I mean :faga:

MAC
09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by bart
i ain't goin to war for this cause, no friggin way. call me a draft dodger, i could care less. if i'm gonna die for something it will be for something i believe in.

:rolleyes: How old are you? about 15? Oh and before you say it I did enlist, over 25 years ago.

Hooper
09-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Katie
i was listening to the news in school and outta school and i heard a bunch about the president reinstating the draft.. if they do how do i get out of getting chosen? its kinda creepy.

The best way to avoid being drafted is to enlist first.

That way you can pay for your college education, choose you military occupation (MOS) and sometimes choose a duty station. Serve proudly, mature beyond your peers, and take an honorable discharge when the time comes.

Then after your enlistment, use the college fund to get an education and your Veteran's status to assist you in buying your first home.

That's the route I chose, and it gave me a bounce in life which I never could have dreamed of.

And before the usual suspects chime in, I was an light infantry rifleman, not a pencil-pusher, and I served before, during, and after Gulf I. Was I afraid of going to war at 18? Yep. Am I proud to have been ready to answer the call, most certainly.

No great reward is without risk.

The Dad Fisherman
09-27-2004, 08:53 AM
:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

Well said....Thats the same route I took. the military isn't a bad place for someone to start there adult life......I recommend it for most kids as it definitely will build your character.

Some kids today need that.

KLMulder
09-27-2004, 10:33 AM
The biggest regret I have is I did not join the navy right out of highschool. IMHO we should require 2yrs from every, EVERY person in the country. Give them the choice of when they want to do it ( between 18 and 25 ). Young people in this country have become to lazy and expect to have everything handed to them. At the very least it should cut down on the number of innocent people being hit by drive by shooting's, if you teach them how to shoot maybe they will hit the person they want to instead of the little kid 50ft away.

Katie
09-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KLMulder
The biggest regret I have is I did not join the navy right out of highschool. IMHO we should require 2yrs from every, EVERY person in the country. Give them the choice of when they want to do it ( between 18 and 25 ). Young people in this country have become to lazy and expect to have everything handed to them. At the very least it should cut down on the number of innocent people being hit by drive by shooting's, if you teach them how to shoot maybe they will hit the person they want to instead of the little kid 50ft away.

i agree with that of having the choice when to go.. and i do agree with how kids my age,etc get lazy and expect everything handed down to them. i was just scare of getting killed,etc

The Dad Fisherman
09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Katie
i was just scare of getting killed,etc

I'm pretty sure we all are......including the military

Nobody appreciates Peace time more than a soldier