View Full Version : Proper Retrieve For A Surf Howdy?

BigFish
09-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Having never fished one and since I just ordered one from Joe Lyons, do any of you have some insight into the technique for using them properly?:confused: I am guessing you twitch them with a moderate retrieve speed?:huh:

riverrat2
09-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Get them to walk to dog and they are pissah.Short twitches and only real up the slack line. Kinda like twitch, twitch,maybe two turns of the real, twitch twitch, etc...There are a ton of ways to fish them though but this is what I have had best luck with.

BigFish
09-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Thats what I thought....;) thanks RR2!:D

justplugit
09-23-2004, 04:51 PM
BF you could also ask Bernzy or BM,he has trashed more then a few:laughs:

BigFish
09-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I tried pm'ing a couple of folks but their boxes were full!:smash: Good idea though, maybe Bernzy or BM will instruct further.;)

justplugit
09-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Add Flaptail to your list.

BigFish
09-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Flaptail was the one with the full pm box!;)

bassmaster
09-23-2004, 06:36 PM
just reel the thing in and shut up

Slingah
09-23-2004, 07:22 PM
:laughs:

Diamond Tackle
09-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by bassmaster

but, do you reel in and THEN shut up, or do you first shut up and THEN reel. or is it both at same time ?
please elaborate .

They look & dance real nice even in a heavy current, cant wait to try them out .

Christian
09-23-2004, 08:46 PM
like a pencil popper!

you can work em subsurface too!! they walk the dog under the water if you hold the tip real low:D :D

RI Popper
09-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by bassmaster

A M E N !! Try every conceivable thing you can. and when you figure out what works, just forget about it because it never will work again :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Flaptail
09-24-2004, 05:42 AM
The best retreive is like RiverRat says just walk the dog. ZIG-ZAG, ZiG-Zag. I found the prefect combo for them was an 8 foot medium action St. Croix Tidemaster conventional trigger stick and a Shimano GT-100 Conventional reel. I loaded the reel with Stealth 30 pound braid and using a ball bearing swivel with a 3 foot hunk of 40 lb. Fluorocarbon and a breakaway 50 pound clip. Don't listen to BASSMASTER! All he caught on them was bluefish and that is not a good test of what this plug can do. I have taken near a 100 bass this past two weeks on that plug and some of them were very large. ( Ask the guy who owns the Orvis Shop in Mashpee he was a witness) It has even outfished my beloved Beachmaster Dannys. My friend George, who fished with me this week, and is a vetran Elizabeth Islands fisherman, a doctor at Falmouth Hospital, and a surface plug nut, ordered 6 from Joe Lyons the day after our trip to the islands after seeing what that plug can do. I give it the Plug of the year award!:D

Crafty Angler
09-24-2004, 08:21 AM
If you fish the Howdy with your rod tip down with short twitches on the retrieve it will dart for ya too - but I mostly fish it topwater walking it back and forth and like Flap said, it works real well - walking the blurple crackleback was working on bass at false dawn a coupla mornings ago -

As of yesterday, Bernzy is here in RI for a little fishing R&R -

I'll probably hear from him in the next few days - I don't know if he's near a computer yet but I'll pass this along to him -

BigFish
09-24-2004, 10:03 AM
;) Thanks guys!

bassmaster
09-24-2004, 03:56 PM
shut up flap all u get is blue fish

Glassguy
09-25-2004, 04:01 AM
Could someone kindly post info for ordering from Joe Lyons.

Thanks

Bob

bassmaster
09-25-2004, 07:09 AM
The plug works great there are many ways to work it and You can bend the eye horizontal to tune the lure to do other pop diving actions.
I work mine with alot of commotion like a pencil and then I will work it with short controlled jerks with a minute pause and then cycle through till I get fishon the lure.........
Flaptail woke Me out of My beauty sleep:smash:

Slipknot
09-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Glassguy
Could someone kindly post info for ordering from Joe Lyons.

Thanks

Bob

http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/

Fishpart
09-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Order them quick.

Joe has got a beautiful tackle stash :drool: better than most shops........

Flaptail
09-26-2004, 06:12 AM
BM, first, you need all the beauty sleep you can get, second, as Bubbas, I called you first because the fish are at you know where and fianally I had a really good night in the surf after God knows how long. Felt ggodd to be standin' in the whitewater with a screamin' drag. They are on the beach again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy: : :happy: :happy: :happy:

Oh yeah, you still only caught bluefish with your Howdy!!!!!!!:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Slipknot
09-26-2004, 07:22 AM
steve i just got in:smash:

bassmaster
09-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Slipknot
steve i just got in:smash:
no I just got in:laughs:

TheRattBoy
09-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Fish ARE here, last night was PISSAH, ALL on wood too :D :D johnny