View Full Version : 2X4's etc.

Karl F
09-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Wife has handed me my head, er, I mean, handed me a project.
Lowes, or Home Cheapo for 2X4's etc., whose got the cheapest prices.....or, should I stay true to my locals, and try Mid-Cape, or Hinkleys :huh:

Slingah
09-26-2004, 09:34 AM
hi ya Karl:wave:
happy hammerin'
I don't know how bLowes lumber is but I buy all my house stuff there.....not a big home Cheepo fan

tynan19
09-26-2004, 11:18 AM
You can compare prices by checking on thier website. You can also check for local availability also. I used them to get a good price for bricks.

TheRattBoy
09-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Wait till you see how straight those 2x's are :laughs: :laughs: johnny

Slipknot
09-26-2004, 02:53 PM
mid cape or hinkleys for sure

those home centers carry 2x4 's just for convienience, but if they are closer and you can find straight ones, what the hey

capesams
09-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Karl....just go to hinkley's an pick out what you need an use my account name for contractor's discount,,then just pay for the stuff at the counter..not a big savings, but atleast it's something...just make sure you restack the pile after you've gone through it...then they won't give you what's for at the gate....their always watching.

redneck24
09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
if you want price go to homo depot or blowes, but the lumber isnt worth using on a treehouse. im not sure where you are, but goodrich or sampson is the way to go.

Karl F
09-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks CS and all.
I just did a roundtrip to N. Andover, and on the way back was thinking quality versus price... and figgered go with quality.....:cool:

chris L
09-27-2004, 08:39 AM
go with quality ! cause you wont find quality at the home dirtpile and blowes . I only buy my wood at the local lumber yard , nails and screws too . the 2x4s are the right shape for boat building ! cuuuuuurved ! the crown on a 2x4 looks like a mountain road .

smooth53_98
09-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Forget Home-Cheapo... I had to put in a new Bilco Door and some cellar steps down from the Bilco door... I picked through about 40 pieces of wood to find 3 good ones... I did better at my local guy where I could also order the Bilco door and the Biclo galvanized steel stringers. I have had nothing but trouble with Home Cheapo... the employees, the products, and their installers (that ceramic tile floor is a whole other story).