View Full Version : setting up shop from ground up

crashfromamesbury
09-29-2004, 01:22 PM
i have an 11x14 room that i got the ok from the mrs to make my dedicated wood working room..

(still have a separate mantown too)..

my question is..

how would you set it up to make it the most functional for plug building?

and

besides the lathe.. what would you put in there..

its a blank canvas.. where do you start?

spence
09-29-2004, 01:27 PM
a fridge for beer :devil:

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
09-29-2004, 01:31 PM
...and Don't forget tunes

BigBo
09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
And a TV for game day.:D ;)

spence
09-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Excellent :D

With all the money you've saved by not buying a lathe, drill press, chop saw, forstner bits, sander, airbrush, paint, sealer, epoxy, hardware, hand drill, spray booth etc... you should be able to buy enough custom plugs to last nearly a lifetime :rotfl:

-spence

crashfromamesbury
09-29-2004, 02:44 PM
the tv, tunes, and beer fridge will be in mantown..

which is in the next room.. and definitely a dart board..

maybe a pool table if i find one ..

Jigman
09-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Build a work bench that will give you plenty of work room and places to mount tools. Besides a lathe, stuff I would add would be a drill press, band saw, belt sander, and a table saw (if you will be ripping larger wood into blanks). Set up a dust collection system to keep the dust out of the house. Airbrush and compressor for painting. That should get you well on the way.

Jigman

Motor Fish
09-29-2004, 03:29 PM
I'd definitely start with a nice big work bench (much bigger than you think you need) and plenty of shelves. I built my bench I little higher than normal too.

Wish I had a nice big vice to bolt into the bench too.

And I would recommend a clock. You'll be surprised how fast time goes by. Other than that, a bed and toilet would be nice.:D

capesams
09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
I like my work bench in the center of the room, 4'x10'..then standing shelves around the walls.....the bench holds my chop saw,drill press, 2 grinds, lathe,vise, LEAD MELTING station and room to put everything that I need along side of whatever tool is there....the shelves hold spray cans,wood,bla,bla..then I hung a shelf over the bench to keep crap on.....hanging over the lead pot an lathe I have a big azz fan that goes to the outside...I also use a sears sucker[vac] with a long hose that I use going to the lathe,drill press, etc..and for cleaning up the floor....it works for me,,

Christian
09-29-2004, 03:48 PM
the one tool i wish i had is a band saw. it would make things so much easier and safer than the 75yr old table saw.

MikeTLive
09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
there are many books dedicated to building out a woodshop. given your small area, I would recommend some reading and pencil pushing before you buy the first tool.

Go to B&N or some other book store or the library and
check out the wood working section.

Tagger
09-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Some kind of rinky dink shop vac dust collector homemade system or a fancy one ...By the time i realized it was a good idea my whole house was trashed .; the dust travels everywhere..

justplugit
09-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Christian,home de pot sells a 16in ryobi table jigsaw for $99. Won't do the what a band saw will do but is alot safer for cutting lips,ends,then your table saw.Also great for shaping and rounding heads.Save your fingers for fishing:)

MikeTLive
09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Grizzly has a shop layout tool.

here (http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?)

MikeTLive
09-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by justplugit
home de pot sells a 16in ryobi table jigsaw for $99.

did you mean this ryobi 16" scroll saw?
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/162516_3.jpg

crashfromamesbury
09-30-2004, 05:43 AM
they also have that 9" bench top bandsaw for 87..

i looked at it yesterday.. its ok..

justplugit
09-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Ya thats the one Mike.Variable speed and does everything i need except rip anything heavy. Crash,i didn't see the bandsaw but would be worth looking into.
The guy in tools said they demonstrate the scroll saws on saturdays sometimes,and then sell the demonstrator for 1/2 price.

crashfromamesbury
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
here is what i have so far..

jet mini.. big floor mount drill press.. scroll saw..

choice of two craftsman 10" table saws.. (one is older and weighs a ton.. the other has stand and extension leaves)..

(compressor, and airbrush gear.. spray booth.. all set there)

also have a line on a big bandsaw for 0$ ..

what else??? anyone have any kitchen cabinets they want out? looking to make a work bench..

thanks for the advise..

later
crash

Nebe
10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
shoot i just threw out a couple cabinets.. sorry:huh:

get a drill press and a belt sander and your good to go-

maybe a lead melting pot too-

crashfromamesbury
10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
still have to get an electrician to wire up the shop..

no outlets.. no lights.. just sheetrock.. very odd..

but will make a good shop.. had my eye on a dust collector i

looked at monday at rockler.. not bad.. it was a jet.. should do

most of the shop..

i definitely would have come to get them.. but thats ok.. there will be others.. will look around at the yard sales when i am down the cape this weekend..

crashfromamesbury
10-08-2004, 10:42 AM
just got off the phone.. father in law just gave me a ryobi radial arm saw.. i am going to end up with more tools than space in that shop.. lol