View Full Version : Has anyone...........

Bob Thomas
10-05-2004, 12:41 PM
.......... used an old shop vac to create a spray booth? I have an old but functional shop vac coming my way in the near future. I want to create a makeshift spray booth. Everytime I spray plugs, I hafta pull the cars outta the garage because of all the paint flying around.

Any ideas on how this can be accomplished? Any pics?

Jigman
10-05-2004, 01:55 PM
If you are just using the shop vac with paints like Createx (i.e., non-flamable), yes it will work. Simpliest way to do it is take a cardboard box and remove the top. Set it on its side so that the top is facing you. Cut a hole for the shop vac towards the back of the box on what will now be the top. Turn on the vac and spray into the box. Be sure to test it out first with the cars out of the garage to make sure the vac is s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up all of the overspray.

Jigman

Bernzy
10-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi Bob,

I made one out of a large tupperware type storage container.
I cut a 4" hole in the center of the bottom and picked up a 4" plastic flanged fitting at a woodworking store. I gooped it in place with the flange inside, then bought the appropriately sized fitting for the shop vac hose. I used cheap furnace filters to catch the larger paint particles. A bit noisy but it worked quite well.

Bernzy

afterhours
10-05-2004, 03:48 PM
great ideas guys!

backcast
10-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I would be a little concerned about the paint clogging the filter in the shop vac. Bernzey's idea with the furnace filter will help.

I have a central dust collection system that is vented outside the house. Works great to catch overspray, but you should see what happens if I forget to empty the sawdust bin. Instant mulch in my wife's bushes.

Bernzy
10-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bernzy
Hi Bob,

I made one out of a large tupperware type storage container.
I cut a 4" hole in the center of the bottom and picked up a 4" plastic flanged fitting at a woodworking store. I gooped it in place with the flange inside, then bought the appropriately sized fitting for the shop vac hose. I used cheap furnace filters to catch the larger paint particles. A bit noisy but it worked quite well.

Bernzy

Correction: I used a 4" dryer vent hose from the back of the spray booth to a 4" to 2" reducer connected to the shop vac.

Also, several layers of furnace filter prevented any clogging of the shop vac filter.

Bernzy

Jigman
10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I probably need a filter of some kind in the box. Had to clean a glob of paint out of the vac hose a month back :eek:

Jigman

Bob Thomas
10-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Sounds like it is more of a pain then it will be worth. Maybe I'll stick to pulling the cars outta the garage.

Thanks for the advice