View Full Version : Lunch for a 38#

5/0
10-05-2004, 07:53 PM
These two guys were inside of a 38# i caught.I put the pliers in the frame for scale.On one of the lobsters you can see the stomach acid was really breaking down the shell. One of the claws was missing but the other claw was still intact.The other lobster looks like he checked in not to long ago.

5/0

Goose
10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
last night

Rappin Mikey
10-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Nice! Let's see some pics of the fish now. I'm jonesin bad lately!

riverrat2
10-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Lobsters are usually a sign that there isn't that much bait around, Isn't it OCTOBER? Bass shouldn't be scroungin for lobsters.

Vectorfisher
10-05-2004, 08:16 PM
The two decent sized fish I pulled out of the canal earlier in the season were similar, one had a belly with lobsters and crabs, the other was just crabs the fish were caught a week apart. Not a pogie,herring, baitfish bone in them.:(

5/0
10-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Smart man riverrat2 I caught her last year @ the end of July.The guys I went to BI with, were talking about stomach contens of bass I have never had this much size in one fish before.It was awesome to see them neatly wraped in that stomach,there tails were placed under the upper body.
here's a pic of the fatty.

5/0

riverrat2
10-05-2004, 08:37 PM
NICE FISH! She is a cow.

Goose
10-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by riverrat2
Isn't it OCTOBER? Bass shouldn't be scroungin for lobsters.

Imo...knowing the bigger bass are the lazy bottem feeders, lobster, crabs and such is part of their deit no matter the time of year....naturaly they're gonna eat what ever is available.

riverrat2
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
I agree but lobsters are much harder to come by then a few peanut bunker that usually travel in very large groups. But 5/0s fish didn't look like it had any trouble eating.

nightfighter
10-05-2004, 09:00 PM
hey Goose, tell me you didn't use the lobster to bait your hook!:laughs:

Krispy
10-05-2004, 09:41 PM
DonM and I spoke about this recently and noted that in specific spots, bass were passing up easy "bait fish" meals in prefence for lobsters. Most of the bass I took home in July of 20lbs+ had lobsters in their belly.
Stripers are targeting lobsters.
Nice pics Bob :)

Nebe
10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
This sundays ProJo had an article about a large decline in lobstahs this year and for th epast 3 or 4 years.. It must be the bass:rolleyes:

tynan19
10-05-2004, 10:20 PM
They first said it was all the pesticides to combat West Nile, now they say that it is warmer ocean temps. We know now it is the bass.

Nebe
10-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by tynan19
They first said it was all the pesticides to combat West Nile, now they say that it is warmer ocean temps. We know now it is the bass.

the winter flounder decine could be from the bass as well...

bloocrab
10-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Lobsters aren't that hard to come by in certain areas. I know quite a few spots where I could walk in knee high water and spot a lobster or two in no time.... One of the Coves I fish, after a mean high tide...I can kick through the washed a-shore seaweed piles and pull 1/2 doz. illegally sized lobsters from it. If any of you have ever done any night diving...you can attest to how many lobsters parade the ocean floor at night...and like Goose said, with the larger fish cruising along the bottom....... GULP!!!

Not to mention the fact that lobsters come in shells which are THAT much harder for the acids to break up in comparison to a GULP-FUL of bunker babies. How many choggies do you think get eaten by Stripers? They just get broken down sooner IMO.

Ross, you tried that on Cutty...didn't you? :laughs:

Mikey, you wanted some eye candy.....here's the body to go with Goose's fish. :)

tlapinski
10-06-2004, 05:49 AM
as far as a LARGE bass chasing down an "easy meal" in some peanut bunker, i think it is not in there best interest. a bass must get more out of its prey than it expends in hunting it. which provdes more nutrition, chasing down a very agile peanut bunker or cruising the bottom looking to slurp up a 1# lobster? i know a lot of the lobster is shell, but i would still argue that the nutrition received is greater than a peanut bunker.

piemma
10-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Great FISH!!!
If you guys get an opportunity pick up the late Bob Post's book, "Reading the Water". Bass stories from MV. There is a chapter on a guy they called the Mad Russian. He won the MV Tourney 3 or 4 years in a row with 50's and a couple of 60+# fish. After he died it was discovered that his secret was chunking lobster tails. Seems we are not the only species that love lobster.

5/0
10-06-2004, 06:37 AM
I totaly agree w/ tlapinski these biggins lay low and take easy meals, I don't think that there gonna expend much energy for a meal such as penut bunker.There going to need a sh!t load of-em just to fill up.not to mention the work to get them,IM sure that if need be they will eat them but IMO only in a pinch.

She was caught on the retreive, I was just about to pull my eel out of the water. She came up & slamed it,and peeled line off like there was no tommorow,she burnt the piss out of my thumb,but that's a good thing:cool:

5/0

likwid
10-06-2004, 07:21 AM
The Bass club on Cuttyhunk used to use live lobster and lobster tails exclusively to catch bass when it was legal.

reelecstasy
10-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by likwid
The Bass club on Cuttyhunk used to use live lobster and lobster tails exclusively to catch bass when it was legal.
Those are some great lookin fishes...So am I reading this right, it is illegal to use lobster tails for bait?:confused:

Rappin Mikey
10-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Goose is one mean lookin dude! Back off from my fish selects!!!!!

Strider
10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Nice stripa's Bob & Tony :drool:
I'm chewing on my desk over here:smash:

bloocrab
10-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Mikey....he had his Halloween mask on that night. . .. . .:devil:

That's how he catches those big girls.....he scares them into swallowing his eel......:eek5: ....did that come out right??

Rappin Mikey
10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
:eek:

5/0
10-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Most every trip to the Canal I'll step on or feel the lobsters running around IMO they are quite plenyiful there maybe not all keeper slot size but there are alot of-em.
Goose is that a Ditch fish?

redlite
10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for postin that Bob.
Hungry fish to have its belly that full and still come after your eel.

cheferson
10-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Whats some good lobster imitations? Ive been meaning to try these plastic crabs ive had laying around too, anyone else use them with any luck??

chris L
10-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by bloocrab

That's how he catches those big girls.....he scares them into swallowing his eel......:eek5: ....did that come out right??

if he likes his girls big thats his business . I would have to be scared to death to let a big girl swallow my eel . Im afraid of big girls , dont want to get broken in half

DaveS
10-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by bloocrab

I usually just buy 'em dinner :lm:

tynan19
10-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I have seen quite a few lobsters in the canal myself.

Goose
10-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Goose is that a Ditch fish?

Naaa dude, thats a little state fish on a 6/0 ;)

5/0
10-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah know.....I think i might of posted the wrong fish!:smash: I don't remember if that was the 38# or this was the 38#one of these are & the other is a 36#.I don't remeber what was in this one,maybe a Happy meal.The one on the ground wasn't 38# maybe high teens or low twentys.

5/0