View Full Version : Spanish Inquisiton

Katie
10-07-2004, 09:58 AM
how much do you know about it??

I am doing a term paper on it and i am gonna add people thoughts about it,ect.. anybody no anything or have to say anything about it??

chris L
10-07-2004, 10:01 AM
sorry katie but I wasnt there !

Nebe
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
ahh the spanish inquisition.. If I remember right it was brought on by Fredinand the fifth and Isabell to find a way to persecute the Jews who had recently been forced to convert to either Christianity or Catholicsm..I forget which. It was brought on by greed, as the jews of spain were known to take care of each other and most were far richer than the catholic spainards. AS a result I believe it was Isabel who Began the Inquisition to round up these jews and get them to confess that they were 'un-pure' To get these confesions out of the jewish-converts, great torture devices were made, and the jews were tortured to death to confess that they they were unpure and to give up thier friends and family who were also un-pure. Also all of the wealth of these Jews were confiscated and distributed amungst the catholic comunity and the church.. I liken it to the darkage hollocoust, and just one more reason why America was built on the premise of the seperation of church and state. Current events today teeter on a 'american inquisition' with a devout born agian christian on a hunt for radical muslims, but thats another story;) Mell Brooks also had a catchy song and dance about the Spanish Inquisition in his Movie 'History of the World part II"

good luck with yoru paper Katie, History was my favorite subject:cool:

oh, and one plug for my services please :rtfm:

The Dad Fisherman
10-07-2004, 10:26 AM
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

Katie
10-07-2004, 10:27 AM
thanks..eben.. i like history this year.. but carzy thing is i also so far like algebra this year (scary *runs into wall*) i haven't done sgood in math since elementry school.

Nebe
10-07-2004, 10:33 AM
I am horrible at math. :bsod: :gf:

good for you with doing so well in algebra, I failed it my freshman year. I dont know why i was so bad at it, but hey, i'm still alive today:huh:

Skip N
10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
"Current events today teeter on a 'american inquisition' with a devout born agian christian on a hunt for radical muslims"

I think you have that ass backwards. Last time i checked its the radical Muslims who are murdering the christians. Does 9/11 ring a bell? Were are attacking radical islam ONLY becuase they attacked us and want us all dead. Beware of the Eben history and theories Katie!:hihi: Now thats the only lesson you need to know today:D

Nebe
10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
It was an example for the reason amerca was built on the seperation of church and state skip- Our founding fathers wanted to make sure that our country did not make foriegn policy and domestic decisions based on religion. Unfortunately that is not happening today.

and further more, katie asked me for my thoughts on it... those were my thoughts and reflections of todays problems in relation to the days of the inquisition.

Jimbo
10-07-2004, 10:58 AM
I'd love to do some Internet searching on this, but I'm a little tied up. Eben's correct it was a nasty time to be a Jew, and as I remember any religion or sect that wasn't Catholic. Sort of like the Spain's version of the Salem Witch Hunts X 1000. Ferdinand and Isabel went to the Pope and asked if they could go ahead with their little Inquisition idea and were told, "OK! Great! Thanks for volunteering! You go have fun with that!", but then when the Pope found out that "purifying" people basically meant "off-ing" them in very creative yet horriffic and painful ways, F and I used politics to prevent him from stopping it.

Skip N
10-07-2004, 11:19 AM
How are we making our policy based on religion?:confused:

Rappin Mikey
10-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Break out the comfy chair! Anybody remember that one?

HighTide
10-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Oh yeah. That and the ....SOFT PILLOWS!!!!

DRUMCORPFAN
10-07-2004, 01:04 PM
no no, not the comfy chair :D

chris L
10-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I thought it was a comfy couch ? im confused

Nebe
10-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Skip N
How are we making our policy based on religion?:confused:

banning stemcell research, fighting to ban abortion, the ban on gay marraige are all things that they are doing that are based on christian beliefs

fishweewee
10-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Eben
fighting to ban abortion ... they are doing that are based on christian beliefs

Hey Eben, here ya go chew on this one:

1) An unborn child is an innocent human being.

2) Abortion is the killing of an unborn child.

3) It is morally wrong to kill an innocent human being, except in self-defense.

Therefore, abortion is morally wrong.

There ya go. An argument that isn't anchored in religion.

:smokin:

spence
10-07-2004, 03:09 PM
This could get ugly...

:hidin:

-spence

RIJIMMY
10-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Also, gay marriage ban
- its not just christian beliefs its, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and SHinto
No religion allows for marriage between same sexes.
Also, I dont think any other country allows it either, do they?
Personally, I can care less. Lets not open this up again.
:smash:

fishweewee
10-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by spence
This could get ugly...

:hidin:

-spence

:hihi:

Nebe
10-07-2004, 06:13 PM
how about those spaniards??:laughs:

fishweewee
10-07-2004, 06:56 PM
:laughs:

C-5 CC
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
c'mon Eben...I am dying to read your response!

spence
10-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Eben's probably off choosing plugs for his little jaunt next week.

Regarding abortion. It's a bad thing for sure, but life is full of choices and some of them are serious. Recognize that there are legit reasons for abortion and to ban it entirely would be bad for society.

Tell the mother who's fetus is diagnosed with spina bifida and won't live that she can't have an abortion. Tell the mother who's fetus has zero brain activity that she should be required to carry the baby to term and likely miscarraige becouse the religious right has made it illegal for doctors to treat the problem safely and legally. Tell the woman who has been raped, or who's life is in danger that she's not free to deal with something going on inside her body.

Personally I'm for restricting elective abortion to the first tri-mester, before the fetus shows brain activity. Before that, if you want to terminate it's a personal decision and it's a heavy one, but it may be better than bringing a child into the world that isn't wanted or can't be supported.

As the Democratic platoform states, abortion should be safe, legal and rare.

Regarding gay marriage. Full marraige in name will never happen, too many people are against it as am I. But the Republican platform contains language that is against civil unions as well.

Anyone who doesn't believe a devout gay couple should be allowed the same legal perks as a hetero couple needs to look inside and make sure they are not just a bigot or small minded.

In RI (and other states) it's legal for a gay couple to adopt a child. So you're telling me the party of "family values" doesn't believe this family should have the same legal perks, designed to tighten the family bond and create the best child rearing environment possible, as a hetero couple?

I'd love for every kid to have a super mom and dad, but I can think of several gay parents I know that are raising better children than their lackluser hetero counterparts. That's the society we live in, it's not perfect.

So to be against civil unions, is really anti-family...the gay marraige issue is simply a diversion.

-spence

Nebe
10-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Thank you spence. We are on the same page 100%
Do i think anyone should get an abortion? No.. But in the rare case your unborn child is going to have some crazy disese I believe it is up to the mother to decide. Or what if a woman is raped, and becomes pregnant?? The key is responsibility. Proper Birth control, and family planning.

Gay marriage- agian Spence and I are on the same page. No I dont think that the term marriage should apply to a gay couple, but they should be allowed to be legaly recognized as a couple. Gays have a horrible time trying to get hospital visits, make medical choices for each other and like spence said, they are allowed to adopt.

These two things above are all about personal freedom. Our current administration wants to limit these things which would be taking away a persons rights. You throw in the patriot act and your privacy is being taken away as well. (i support the patriot act)

Stemcell research- thats a no brainer... I dont see any problem with a scientist taking an ambilical chord and culturing human cells to find the cure for aids or cancer.

I would have replied earlier, but I was breaking in my new lamiglass 1201m out under Point judith light- :smokin:

RickBomba
10-08-2004, 06:21 AM
AHA...Hijackers, I've gotten you. Cardinal Mikey...break out the comfy chair....Cardinal chris L whack them with your comfy hair...
Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inqusition!!!

fishweewee
10-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Just a random thought.

Any of youze seen two gay stripers humpin' in the water?

chris L
10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
no but I saw 2 bloofish humping clammers leg

fishweewee
10-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Just as queer and slimy

Nebe
10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Just a random thought.

Any of youze seen two gay stripers humpin' in the water?

never seen it, but if i did i'd let them be and hope they enjoy thier lives.

MikeTLive
10-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Dolphins and Primates are known to have sex for fun.

They also are known to participate in homosexual relationships.

fishweewee
10-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Eben
never seen it, but if i did i'd let them be and hope they enjoy thier lives.

I'm only asking cuz if you see this happening, take a pic and send me a copy for my photo gallery. :cool:

Bass Nut
10-11-2004, 03:01 PM
How the hell did we go from the Spanish Inquisition to gay stripers?

History of the World Part 1 had a great Spanish Inquisition scene.

Katie
10-15-2004, 10:03 AM
i showed this to my history table.. he was laughing histerically.. the monty python stuff definitly got him.. he didn't get the part with the gay stripers though..

Skip N
10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by MikeTLive
Dolphins and Primates are known to have sex for fun.

They also are known to participate in homosexual relationships.

Is the whole world turning Gay!!??:laughs: