View Full Version : ? poppers at night

roym
10-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Fished the incoming tide this am through dawn. Heard fish breaking all night but used storm shads and bucktails. Did well as I landed 12 bass and 1 blue up until first light. When I could see the breaking fish, I started throwing an Atom plug and had a ball landing three more bass but these three were more enjoyable than all the others combined. Can I use a popper at night if I use frequent pauses??? The funny thing is was that it never even entered my mind until I was driving home. This is probably a dumb question but I don't use poppers or swimmers often and I would appreciate your experiences. Thanks

riverrat2
10-08-2004, 06:06 PM
The answer is yes, especially black ones. But do a search there was a topic just like this about a month ago with a lot of good info.

afterhours
10-08-2004, 07:31 PM
black poppers at night:D oh yeah!

cheferson
10-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Yes they do, had a post a month ago about this. I was surprised to when i first tried. I always heard that poppers where just for the day.

Fungus
10-09-2004, 03:30 AM
I use a polaris style popper at night all the time and I have been quite successful with it. With a slow steady retrieve you can swim them on top and pop them at will. Add in some pauses here and there and you have a deadly combination. I love fishing topwater plugs day or night.

Joe
10-09-2004, 08:33 AM
I like the Super Strike Little Neck Poppers at night...You can go slow and they swim and occasionally pop them
Roberto Germani's section in Reading The Water details some of his experiences using poppers at night at Deep Hole....good stuff there.
The Super Strikes are well suited for places where distance is an issue.