View Full Version : Opinion on Reels

Maine Guide
10-12-2004, 07:30 AM
I just picked up a St. Croix/Ben Doerr SS106MH2 (10 1/2 ft., medium heavy, 2 piece, spinning). Rated for 2-6 oz.

I plan to use it primarily for chunk fishing.

I'm looking for your opinions on what type of reel and line you would suggest putting on this rod.

I was thinking of one of the "live liner" types, either the Shimano Bait Runner or the Penn Live Liner.

Thanks for your assistance.

reelecstasy
10-12-2004, 07:42 AM
I love my Bait Runners 4500's......but that is just me...and Shimano has been making them for a while and I have no complaints at all...I have Power Pro on one, (my chunkin stick) and I can't imagine in the middle of the night trying to grab that stuff while the drag is screaming to try and tighten my drag like most spinners...flick of a switch and your on.:smokin:..just MO...

afterhours
10-12-2004, 07:48 AM
can't beat the baitrunner feature for chunking. have had a 4500 for 18+ years and it still works fine.

BigFish
10-12-2004, 07:51 AM
I love my live liner Penn 560's....they have been great!:D My buddy uses the Shimano and he swears by those!;) I don't think you can go wrong with either one......the only issue I do have with my Penn's is the corrosion....the paint just bubbles after awhile and flakes off....:huh:mostly on the bail and the crank! Just thought I would let you know! I just scrape and repaint or buy new parts. ;)

As for line you probably fish some rocky spots up there in Vacationland......I use mono so 20 pound would be the norm but someone here may be able to recommend some braided line!:D

Good luck!:happy:

hooked
10-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I've got both a St. Croix SS100M2 and the Penn 5600L but I didn't like how they felt together. On faster retrieves, the line would slap against the rod below the collector guide. It might be personal preference, but I felt that the 704Z was a better fit for my rod.

The live liner is a blast for fishing live macs though. Have they moved back inshore up there yet?

Mr. Sandman
10-12-2004, 12:40 PM
While the live liner or bait runner reels IMO are "B" reels, they are great for chunkin and live bait...I like the shimano slightly better then the penn (seems to hold up better) but they both have some weaknesses. The Thunnus is a B+ reel but is 100 bucks more then the others.
Regardless what reel you select, you will like the rod.

green meanie
10-12-2004, 04:42 PM
my shimano 4500 hasnt gave me any problems yet :D

Bigcat
10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
I have 50# spiderwire Stelth on my 560, and it is the bigest pain,
the line is always jumping off over the spool.
Next season I will load up with mono.

CANAL RAT
10-12-2004, 07:45 PM
shimano baitrunner 4500 use circle hooks

Maine Guide
10-13-2004, 07:14 AM
Thank you all for your input.

maddog2020
10-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I would go with the Shimano Baitrunner 6500 B - be sure you get the ARB version (anti-rust bearings). These run around $120 or less depending on where you look.

IMHO this is the best BR reel made for normal people. :D Thunnus are nice, but they cost over $100 more. The front end of the reel is identical to the Thunnus except for the color. Internally they are different, but the std Baitrunner is so tough and well made, offshore tuna guys use them all the time w/ 25-30 lb mono on them.

FYI - charter buddy caught ~70-80 BFT on his Thunnus last yr and had to send it back to the company to get it repaired. :( He was a little PO'ed needless to say - I think he said he bent the shaft on it. Typically he uses 50 lb Spectron and is sight casting to moving school tuna.

One feature the Shimano does over Penn is when you crank the handle the baitrunner features kicks off. Penn you manually depress lever/paddle.

That St. Croix is a well made production rod. I picked up a 8.5' - 2pc Premier and like it a lot. Their Avid series is nothing to ignore either. They made some improvements the past couple of yrs and it was for the better. :)