View Full Version : Tica Reel Seats - Beware

rwilhelm
10-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Watch out for the reel seats on Ticas. I don't know if anyone else have ever had a problem but this is my story. I just picked up a 706Z and put it on my Tica rod. After about my fifth cast my reel goes flying into the water. I cannot believe it and I am thinking there goes 100 plus bucks. So it is about 5:00 AM and I take my headlamp and look for about 1/2 hour and finally give up and figure I should wait for sunrise and see if I can find it. Well as soon as the sun comes I find it right away thank god. So from now on I am going to tape the reel on. I never had a problem when I had my Slammer on this rod but the 706Z has a longer and wider stem on it so there was not much room to tighten up because the reel seats on Ticas are pretty short. Also the top of the seat does not allow the stem to be covered much. Anyone else ever have a problem with a big reel on a Tica?

rob-s
10-12-2004, 08:34 AM
reading your post made me check the fit on my 9 ft tica rod.model #sc-la627402 rated 1/2 - 1 1/2
my 706 fits fine .It also fits good on my 10ft tica.

what size is your rod?

couldnt you pull the line in to find your reel?

Shawn B
10-12-2004, 08:39 AM
I have the 10' 2 piece tica and haven't had any problems with it so far. I have had a penn 5600 live liner and a 704 z on it which both have pretty big bases on them and they fit right in like they are suppose to. Sounds like you have a defected reel seat to me.

rwilhelm
10-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I have the a 9', I don't know maybe it was my fault and it was not secured as good as it should have been but the stem hardly goes under at the top of the seat. Either way I am going to tape for extra precaution. I have another rod with a Fuji reel seat and it places the top of the stem at least a 1/2" in. I think the design on the Tica reel seats is garbage.

Jimbo
10-12-2004, 09:52 AM
While I have not lost a reel, I have the 10' Tica 2 piece with a Penn 6500 and I noticed immediately when mating them that it is a tight squeeze to get the reel in the seat then you only get about one turn to tighten the ring. What I have found with that rod, though is that if I don't check the two rod pieces are firmly together every 25 or so casts, eventually the two pieces work themselves apart.

Iwannakeeper
10-12-2004, 11:27 AM
jimbo - I thought there was a wax or something that you could put on the ferrell that would help keep 2 piece rods together better. Maybe ask in the rod builders forum.

basswipe
10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
I use the the 1pc 8ft Tica MH rod with a Shimano Spheros 8000.I have to turn the locking ring several times till its tight.My setup has proven to be rock solid.

The 706 might be to big and heavy for the rod you're putting it on?

Arzic Olivier
10-13-2004, 04:24 AM
I bought 2 8' ,1-3 oz, Tica rods while on vacation, one with a Penn captiva, the other one for my brother in law who was more a freshwater guy than a saltwater one (now he's addicted ;-)
No reel because I didn't know wether he'd go conventional or spinning...

(Did that coz I was afraid to beak my light stuff on bluuuuues)

I have no problem with my Tica/captiva outfit so far, though it's a bit stiff for light lures. Good for heavy lures, fall fishing in France !!!

But what I was going to mention is that when I went back home and decided which one I would offer to my bro, I was surprised to see that these tho same rods WERE NOT SIMILAR !!!!

Same blank obviously, but different rings, ring sizes, different ring placement, different butt, etc...
Maybe the dealers could tell us more about that ????

And thanks Mike for the deal !!! Even if I'm not sure you remember me !

Biteme
10-13-2004, 06:50 AM
My reel seat on my 8 ft let go yesterday. The reel spins on the blank. I wouldn't think something this simple should happen considering I've only used it 3 or 4 times.

The Dad Fisherman
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwannakeeper
jimbo - I thought there was a wax or something that you could put on the ferrell that would help keep 2 piece rods together better. Maybe ask in the rod builders forum.

I keep an unscented candle in my tackle box. If I think the pieces are connecting a little loose I give it a rub w/ the candle....seems to work pretty well.

Crafty Angler
10-15-2004, 01:33 AM
I bought a 9' 2-piece Tica for Mrs. Crafty this year and put a 650 on it for her - the fit is a little tight but so far so good on the reel seat.....

Thanks for the heads-up, though - I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

missing link
10-16-2004, 05:21 AM
I have a coupleTicaM/H7' TC2 with Okuma AV 50 no problems:)
later LINK SR:cool: