View Full Version : Fall Run in Boston????

schoolie monster
10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
So, how are the boston folks doing so far?

I am just back from two weeks off work primarily to fish the run. My dad was up for a week, then I fished a couple days on the Vineyard, then I finished up with a few more days fishing Boston again.

Two weeks ago, my dad and I found all kinds of bait (herring and tinker macs) and found some fish to play, but I saw no evidence of the normal fall blitzes. We took one 20#er and some smaller keepers and a bunch of shorts before the hurricane (jeanne) came thru.

The next few days were awful. Bait was mostly gone, fish were awol. We just managed a couple schoolies in an evening and took a skunk the next day despite getting a few good live baits. That was my first boat skunk of the year. We pounded structure, rips and searched for birds. We each had a couple runs on bait, but didn't connect.

The vineyard was cool. It was my first trip there in the fall. JohnR, fisherwoman, baitcaster and a bunch more MSBA'ers were there. Picked up a bunch of albies in the surf. That was a blast. IT was a cool change to get after something different. I had caught just a couple albies in Nantucket 2 years ago, so getting 13 in two days was sweet. If those things were up here, I wouldn't do much bass fishing.

When I got back, the fishing was still slow in Boston Harbor. I found a nice blitz of 6-8lb blues inside and took a few there, but could only manage one small keeper bass fishing structure. But that piece of structure had a few fish on it and I grabbed a dozen fish off there on my next two trips out, with a 34" and 38" on small ledgerunners and bass assassins.

Then finally, Sunday late evening after my daughter and I got that 38"er, we ran inside and found a nice blitz in Quincy bay. It was the first sustained striper blitz I've seen pretty much all season. We took a couple fish, but I was mainly trying to get my daughter a fish on her own cast. She was kinda freakin' out with all those fish around us.

So, what's up? Do we think this is just gettin' started late, or did we just have a very weak run this year? or am I the only one struggling to put a few fish in the boat... ?

I've heard on several occassions that there are still fish in Maine and points north.....

I hope the fish I ran into Sunday night hang out for a couple weeks... I need one more keeper to set my personal high for a season.

thefishingfreak
10-12-2004, 05:59 PM
i was out thursday night, got only two keepers to 36" and a ton of shorts on live bait. fawn bar was like rt.3s on a warm friday. tons of boats trolling every which way.
i did see a good size blitz on the airport flats on the way out, but didn't stop. i needed to go find some bait before it got dark.

yesterday i was out. saw only one powerboat out there. had a fun ride out to the graves in head on 5-6 footers;) got the grady airborn a couple times:) it's actually fun when it lands perfect every time. it takes alot to launch a 12,000 boat. thank god for rev limiters.
took a beating getting four livelys but i turned them into four keepers to 38". arround bob's. lumpy as heck but the fish were still there.
"wind from the north, to the bars we go fourth" my A$$ :)
mike

BEETLE
10-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Went to Hull Gut after work for a quick fix. Jigged up a small blue. Jigged and plugged for a few hours, that was it. Birds working some bait outside 1/2 mile out, for a short time.

BigBo
10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Did well a couple weeks ago from the boat around Peddocks I., through the gut, and some of the outer Isl. Been real dead since. Lotta work for only a couple fish.:smash:

Van
10-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Been absolutely hammering blues outside, but i can't seem catch a bass in the mix to save my life. Been having fun just the same.

I know there are small bass inside, but like FF said its a freakin zoo on the weekends. I'm having enough trouble with boneheads trolling 50' behind my boat like the fish are ONLY LOCATED WHERE I AM !!!:af:

I still hoping mama is under those blues....

Raider Ronnie
10-12-2004, 06:53 PM
If only the frigin Dogfish would make their fall run :gf:

Striper1
10-13-2004, 05:40 AM
Fall Run

SM.

I have not seen the big blits this year like past years in Quincy bay.

How many years since anyone seen a full grown pogy in the bay?

The 3/4 Herring leaving is the first sign of the fall run.

Got Cod?:D

schoolie monster
10-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Yeah, faun bar is pretty tough to get near I noticed. It keeps people off the few hundred other good spots in and out of the harbor so that's fine.

I should put some time in to find some pollock, but I'm ready for some stupid fishing. Find some birds, throw some light stuff. Schoolies are fine with me at this point. I've been working hard to get bait all year and pounding structure... I just want a few days of no-brainer type fishing.

Though, I might grab a few eels for this weekend.

Van, they'll be a sow under those blues at some point, but nothin' wrong with having fun with them in the meantime. If I can't find any bass, I'll probably come troll around your boat too... I picked up a couple deep divers.

Well, at least its re-assuring that I'm not just clueless and suck at fishing.

Hopefully things will look up.

thefishingfreak
10-13-2004, 09:35 PM
i'd say forget the stupid fishing.
not gonna happen? gotta get outside.
gotta head 'em off at the pass.
still large in glouster, so they gotta be comin' this way?
bluefish still around. thats a good sign.
i wouldn't hang it up just yet.
mike