View Full Version : HELP!

Clammer
09-29-2001, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a Penn 550 SS ,reel fixed quick enough to use this season, I snapped the bail , so I need a replacement or someplace that can tack weld s/s that will hold Ive tried around my way and no one stocks the bail, any help will be appreciated. Thanks /// later

VTSTARSHIP
09-29-2001, 10:47 AM
Try Nelson's in P-Town. They've had everything I have needed.
508-487-0034.

....a source of Lake Champlain fishing know-how.

Starship

Don M
09-29-2001, 11:19 AM
Buckos in Fall River. YOu can send them the reel and they will repair it. 508-674-7900 or Weekapaug Bait & Tackle Westerly RI 401-322-8058

Patrick82
09-29-2001, 07:10 PM
Hey Clamdigger,

If you have a dremel or a hacksaw, you can just cut the bail down to a manual bail until you can get a replacement part. Be careful with that sharp edge. On the store bought manual bails have an arm in a fixed position and the bail arms to the full bail don't, my guess is you'd have to bondo or make a small weld to keep it in place. The actual arm has no real use but to keep the line from popping off the roller but I don't see my storebought one getting any stress put on it.

Bondo is great stuff! Everytime I break my glasses, a dab of bondo and all better. I think I have more bondo now then I do glasses :D. Don't leave home without it.

You've known me on here for a year or two so you should know my love of epoxy. Epoxy won't work here. The metal is polished smooth and shiny. Epoxy won't stick to shiny stuff.

To combat the sharp edge, you have a few choices. First I grind it down to an acceptable length then finish up with a small file.

Then I would wrap it up with some electrical tape.

The other choice is this. I'm not sure if it would work but it's just an idea. Basspro shops sell vinyl paint for painting jig heads. It's got a rubbery feel to it. If you just coated the end, it would probably work.

It won't be the prettiest thing but it will work until you get the new part. Of course this depends on where the bail broke. If it broke off right near the line roller housing I think you are SOL and I don't mean the website :D

redcrbbr
09-29-2001, 10:06 PM
i can weld it for you clam, but it won't be as pretty as it once was. but it will get you through..