View Full Version : Met a few SOLers last night but man, did that weather move...

JohnR
09-30-2001, 08:02 AM
Met a half dozen from the SOL fling this morning battling weeds, big surf, & big wind....

But I'll tell ya later as I'm off to see if Mr Brady can quarterback our team :rolleyes: :eek:

jenty
09-30-2001, 11:58 PM
John;

I met you sunday morning at the inlet. I was with my brother and Cool_Hand_Fluke. We were the guys from SOL. I just wanted to tell you it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you for the info you gave us. After we left you we headed back to Weekapaug for a little while and battled the weeds and the wind. We ended up leaving earlier than expected, but we will be back soon. Hope to maybe meet up with you again.

Charlie M
10-01-2001, 07:55 AM
Hey John... Very nice meeting you. I am going to do my best to make it up to your gathering in a few weeks to meet some of you guys. It sure is nice up there, know any realtors? :)

Charlie

JohnR
10-01-2001, 08:17 AM
Hey - Nice to meet you too!!! My Bro-in-law got in real late but we headed to Westerly, around 3:30am and checked a couple spots. We turned the corner at the bowl at Weekapaug Point and saw about 7 cars with Jersey plates and wound up meeting Charlie M & Ed J as they were heading towards what looked like the point west of Weekapaug Point. The water was moving FAST and kinda big as the tide was on the beginning of the incoming. The waves were big enough to push me off the rock I was standing on. We moved down a little more west but the water was still inundated with big weeds.

Where we were, you would get a "hit" of weeds that the undertow was taking line on. Half dozen casts each took a few minutes to retrieve as the needed line clearing was long. Moved a bit and found the same thing. We decided to hit one other spot on the way home that would be somewhat protected as we needed to be in Foxboro Mass around 9am for the Pats game (and what an awesome game it was - 5th row and so close I could smell the breath of the cheerleaders ;) )...

Here we were setting up at the inside of Quonny when this fellow walks up and says "Where could a few fellows from Jersey find some fish?". Turns out it was Cool Hand Fluke, Jenty, and Jenty's brother. We could see the surf breaking out front of the Breachweay from the first parking lot heading towards the ramp. Now for those that know where this lot is, you know you really can't see anywhere near the ends of the Breachway but you can see just part of the beach/jetty just beyong the hard bend in the inlet. The surf was crashing so hard that a couple guys in a 20 footer put in, went half way down the inlet and turned around because the water was so big... I gave a couple quick hints but the conditions out front, the tide, wind weren't to conducive to going out front. And when I said that you had to cut through someone's yard... (Hey Don - I always cut through the yard but where are you supposed to cut through anyway??) They worked some small stuff just down out of sight from us but I wasn't sure how they did. I managed one small dink bass...

Charlie M, ED J, CHF, Jenty & Bro Jenty - nice to meet you guys and hope you make it up to RI again. You saw the structure of Lil' Rhody and you should see it when the conditions are better :cool: - it's just that good :D

Charlie - as a matter of fact I do. Our resident Clamdigger is a Rhody Realtor ;)

Cool_Hand_Fluke
10-01-2001, 10:26 AM
Thanks again for the local input there John. I will be back in that great state of your to harrass more fish..only next time I will be sure to do a quick weather check. The drive is not that bad and with a brother-in-law living in Warren I may just have to pay him a visit or two.

Thanks again for passing on some local info and for any local that may be upset about the info passed on...don't fret...Watch Hill is still safe! ;)

JohnR
10-01-2001, 10:49 AM
ANY TIME C_H_F and any of you Joisey boys. Just remember to change your accent and put dummy temporary tags on your surf sleds so the locals don't get all worried... Also, when you come, let me know and if I'm not in the dog-house, I'll give you a guided tour... The "dog house" is a little misleading, I'm actually trying to spend some quality time with the family...

"Watch Hill" is where every big fish comes from. When a local gets a sweet fish at any of the secret honey holes of South County (Matunuck to Naps) the story is usually: "So and so caught a fifty at Watch Hill last night" ;) :p ... Seriously, that can be a very good spot to fish - just a little dangerous to those not accustomed to fishing rocky shores...

Slipknot
10-01-2001, 10:30 PM
John, that's grat you bumped into some of the SOL guys and were able to help them out a bit. I hit Watch Hill just after a roaring blitz was slowing, caught 3 though.

I missed the ball game

bassmaster
10-01-2001, 10:36 PM
dude i want that fish headed to block island..................

Patrick82
10-02-2001, 12:15 AM
Hey Jersey guys!

It's not my thing so I can't invite you but the S-B.com crew is having another leg to the tourney coming up in like 11 days. I'd like to meet all of you too. I don't know what you have to do to be part of it (as in a certain amount of posts or whatever). I'll be there with my girlfriend, along with a lot of the guys and gals. It's gonna be more RI fun. Hey, it's an excuse to come up here!

Welcome to Striped-bass to all of you. It'll be fun.

If you've fallen victim to Bassmaster, I'm stealing back all your plugs. Just like Robin Hood!

Cool_Hand_Fluke
10-02-2001, 08:52 AM
Sounds good...I'll be looking for the info and perhaps another day trip might just be in order. Cookie jar is a tad low and I am trying quickly to refill it with the LI Fling coming up fast (Weekend of 10/20). I already have the 19th off as a "Personal" day so I can get a day and a half head start with Crazy and Surfpirate and some other "nuts".

I do look forward to bumping into some of you Rhody guys again. I think I got Rhody on the brain now.

And BTW my plugs are safe...I got Bassmaster by a good 100 pounds. Us "scrapple" size jersey guys are prepared for anything.

I am also creating a "Rhody Binder" complete with maps and notes so I don't miss any of the action in the future.:D