View Full Version : Bowl Spade Bit??

Bob Thomas
10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Not sure if this is what I want it to be but I was doing a little searching for a rounded spade bit and found this.

Here is the description. It seems like it is a rounded spade bit specifically for shaping Tobacco Pipes. Only goes up to 1" but seems like what I/we've been searching for. Price is $18.00 per bit from 3/4 to 1"

Bowl Spade Bits
Bowl Spade Bits are used by the pipe maker to scrape out the tobacco chamber of a briar pipe block. The dimensions are as listed and are inside bowl diameters. The standard shape is a rounded tapered bowl shape for ease of shaping the interior of the bowl chamber

I may email for a picture. Seems like what I wanted!

afterhours
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
if you get a pic, please post it.

Bob Thomas
10-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Received a reply from the folks. They are going to email me a pic when they can get one. Sounds like it's what I've been looking for, though.

capesams
10-20-2004, 05:47 AM
:D

Bob Thomas
10-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Here it is! Kind of looks like they did the grinding themselves but looks like what I want.

RI Popper
10-21-2004, 09:01 PM
I've been making my own like that for years. It's pretty easy. but they took the pointed part off. It works much better if you leave that part on. and run them at very high spead with light pressure. I've got an open invitation to anyone who wants me to grind one for them. they just have to bring the blank spade bit to me and I'll do it for free.