View Full Version : early morning fishing advice...

wbnh
10-16-2004, 08:19 AM
I understand that fishing could be best between 4 and 6 AM...

but how is this rule...and the location you choose to fish affected by the tides.

Right now we're in the first quarter of the moon and depending on where I fish the tide varies a lot.

On the Coast of NH, High tide is 1:AM...

If I stick up river a bit...out near Dover Point, High Tide is 2:30

So what's best?

three hours into the outgoing? an hour and a half into the outgoing...but further up river?

Haven't heard of much in the rivers themselves, but Dover Point is just up the Piscataqua, not far from Portsmouth Harbor.

Hoping to hit a spot early tomorrow...

Any recommendations?

basswipe
10-16-2004, 08:28 AM
From my personal experience I've found that hour or so before sunrise when you first get that hint of light to be very good.

In years past the tide didn't seam to really be a factor this time of year.If the bait was around the bass was right there with it.This year seams to be the exception.I've fished the last few mornings without much success.Lets hope that changes real soon.

Rappin Mikey
10-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Depends on where you are. The topography of the area your fishing is what determines success. Wind in your face is the most important factor I think though. And of course, the darker the better. If you smell watermelon, stick around!

cheferson
10-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Fish all night, F the morning:D

Nebe
10-16-2004, 12:01 PM
i love sunrise... thats the best time for nonstop action IMO... scout the day before for where the bait is and get there before false dawn.. start with dark plugs and as the sun gets higher and higher, go lighter and lighter... yellow has been my go to color in metal lips and pencil poppers once the sun pops up-

chris L
10-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by cheferson
Fish all night, F the morning:D
close !
fish from sundown until the sun is above the horizon or until you just cant do anymore .

Nebe
10-16-2004, 12:21 PM
when i was at BI i would try to fish dusk till midnight, then wake up at 5 for sunrise, fish till 9 or 10 am and then sleep all day....
ahh thats the life for me :happy:

riverrat2
10-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Everyone always raves about sunrise but I have never had good luck at sunrise. Two weeks ago we were into some stupid fishing, fish every cast from about 230-5ish. As soon as the sun pulled up on the horizon the fish were gone.

hooked
10-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Up north it's now more important to find the fish than anything else. There has been bait near the mouth of the river lately.

Are you fishing from shore?

The area around Kittery Point has been producing small bass in the morning and there are reports of horse macs in the deeper water. You might want to check it out if you can get early AM parking access. The SW winds might help to push the bait in.

I fished along Newcastle coast on the incoming Thursday morning but only managed one short.

Good luck.

Rappin Mikey
10-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Sun rise is good:confused: :laughs:

bassmaster
10-16-2004, 10:34 PM
a pencil or a popper or a danny or pike is good at sun up.
tin will get You blues.
I quick cycle through the bag to make sure there not munching on yellow colored swimmers as in bombers and other light colors like the pink bomber ect and not to forget to run through pearl white then yellow then pink GS rubber on a lead head the 6" rubber.
mostley it will depend where You are fishing. But I have found a Yellow plug or a white plug worked on top to be killer, if they wont take poppers

MikeTLive
10-17-2004, 08:58 AM
BM,
when you cycle through the bag, how many casts do you give each contestant? how will you vary that retrieve before you move on to the next plug?
-m

bassmaster
10-17-2004, 10:56 AM
in the am its fast like 5 to 10 casts and change up on styles on retrieve. I end up with fishing my wood on top most the time