View Full Version : Teasers

Roseneath
10-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I had my first double hook-up tonight on a Red Gill and a Gibb's Danny Plug. They were two small (very small) bass... but its been a hard Fall, so I was pleasantly suprised to even catch a bass, let alone TWO.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

capesams
10-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't know what it is about teasers an plug combo..everytime I use it, I get the big fish on the teaser and the smaller fish on the plug:confused:

RIROCKHOUND
10-18-2004, 07:54 PM
CS... yup....:D

Nebe
10-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I believe its survival of the fittest. The big bass is trying to steal the food from the smaller fish (the plug)

Roseneath
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Eben
I believe its survival of the fittest. The big bass is trying to steal the food from the smaller fish (the plug)

I wish the bigbass would get a little greedy and just eat the smaller fish (my plug).

All-in-all I fished two hours on Sunday evening and two hours this evening.

I caught four bass (two on the teaser and two on the plug) and I also caught a MONSTER Bluefish on the plug.

I'd like to thank the guys at SE for all their help with the teaser set-up...

RIJIMMY
10-19-2004, 08:26 AM
R, I got my first double last week. It was pretty cool. One on a fly teaser and another on a white popper. They fought like hell. I thought I had a 30.

RIROCKHOUND
10-19-2004, 08:32 AM
It's always a wierd fight with a double... in my mind I generally think its a big fish at first because of the weight, but usually they dont make that screaming initial run of a big fish, I guess cause they pull against eachother instead of togethor, always a plus though, especially on a slow night when they are coming through in pods... not long back PIemma and I were at a spot and of the 6 fish I had, all were caught on doubles... then nothing for a while, then a double, etc.... must have been small packs of fish running through....

DZ
10-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Dr. Al had a nice double at the island a few year's back - two 20 pound class fish. I had an interesting double 2 years ago - a small bass and a bluefish hooked on the same redfin.
DZ

Saltheart
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Doubles can be exciting. Once I hooked a bass and a huge blue. the bass was on the teaser , the blue on the plug. I saw stripes and I saw a big tail 5 feet behind the head with the stripes (the space between the plug and teaser was about 3 feet) . I thought I had caught "the big one". very disappointed when i pulled in the two fish instead of one huge one! :)

Nebe
10-19-2004, 03:48 PM
last october on my birthday i hooked into 2 fish at once. I didnt weigh them but one was 37 1/2 inches and the other was 35 inches. talk about screaming drag... they both ran at the same time for about 3o seconds then started tugging at eachother.
I'm a huge advocate for tieing teasers off the swivil for this reason. I would imagine that if you had 2 really big fish on and you were using a dropper loop, you'd be in trouble.

cheferson
10-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Gonna try the dead eel, with a generic red gill teaser tonight.

RIROCKHOUND
10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Eben... Yup... gotta have em on seperate leaders.... only down side, in true bony spots like spot X I have been fishing alot, the teaser or plug (especially needlefish) can hang during a fight... happened twice so far, got the fish out and the plug back, so life was good.....

2 teen bass at once pull like hell, happened to me up near woods hole, thought I had my 50 for about 10 seconds....

Roseneath
10-19-2004, 06:56 PM
What are your favorite teaser combinations?

So far I like the Redgill with the Danny.

RIROCKHOUND
10-19-2004, 07:18 PM
My own tied epoxy flies on a 6/0 Siwash (I dont like little hooks) and whatever plug I'm throwing at that moment.... danny, bomber, needle, etc.. etc.. etc...

jkswimmer
10-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Pink bomber and black regill:

Rob Rockcrawler
10-20-2004, 12:08 AM
Blue or black mombo wiith green redgill does the trick for me. i havent had much luck with black yet but im not going to give up on it. Ive had good luck on smaller fish using a green redgill ahead of a storm shad in the ditch.

Nebe
10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
In the spring the black redgill teaser is my #1 producer.

spence
10-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I tied up a few on 3/0 Mustad 34007 hooks, simple ones with some black buck and a few long saddle hackles. Caught a small bass the first time out with one.

-spence

riverrat2
10-20-2004, 01:35 PM
I like all black redgills with a BIG 3 1/2oz danny.

Christian
10-20-2004, 01:45 PM
i like using little bucktail flies for teasers.

catch lots of schoolies. 4/0-5/0 mustads white with some flash, for day and purple with some flash for night.

Flaptail
10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I must have over 100 Red-gills from the seventies. I use them all the time although when I use them when I am fishing with BASSMASTER he calls me a cheap slut. I know it but hey I like it! This past two weeks have been decidedly favoring the red-gill. I have all colors in 4 and 6 inch but silver/black or blue/silver are my favs. When we started getting them in 77' they came in little two piece plastic packages with two red-gills to a package then went to one per pack in a clear hard plastic two piece affair.

The oldest ones work the best as they have added finlets along the tail as opposed to later and current ones. I had many nights along the beach over the years ( when fishing was really good) where I had two fish over 30 pounds on at the same time. I only landed this combination of bigger bass twice and can't recall how many times I would land a fish after knowing I had two brutes on and have either the plug or the tease gone. Ripped right apart. My pal Stifftip once went to three one night ahead of a seven inch rebel wind cheater and landed three bass in the 15 pound range on the teasers and nothing on the plug. That was a classic.

If the wind is in your face and the surf high but clean send a 4 ounce dipsey out with a red-gill ahead of it, you will like the results. Also, when the flyfishing is hot and heavy and bass are destroying your nicely tied flies substitute a red-gill for the fly, a four incher weighs no more than most 1/0 tied flies and lasts a lot longer. TTFN!:D