View Full Version : Good luck B.I. bound guys!

Flaptail
10-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Slipknot, Bassmaster and the rest of the crew going out to Block Island this weekend, good luck and great fishing. Needles, corkers and watch out for the rogue waves that sometimes sneak up in the night at Black Rock. Take pictures!:D

CowHunter
10-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Theres gonna be some big seas in the best water to fish...Be carefull out there and good luck...

Rappin Mikey
10-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Have fun and catch a fifty!

Mr. Sandman
10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
(severe wind sound) :scatter:

Nebe
10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm with cowhunter... the bluffs will be a mess..

have a great time though-

food tip- the block island grocery store has great sandwiches for 5 bucks... I lived on them. And you cant beat the Dinner at the airport for breakfast.

spence
10-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Eben
And you cant beat the Dinner at the airport for breakfast.
Can't beat the dinner for breakfast :smash:

You mak'in no sense glass boy :laughs:

-spence

Nebe
10-21-2004, 03:22 PM
thats Diner... the airport Diner...I am tired and cant spell.

ThrowingTimber
10-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Best of luck guys:D

capesams
10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
BM's going to go into shock....no wendy's over there.

Karl F
10-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Wendy's Withdrawl...
ain't gonna be pretty, bet they don't have a 99 cent menu over there either :eek: :eek: :eek:
do they have 40 dollar omelets, like on the vineyard?
air quality should be better , tho.... ;)

Nebe
10-21-2004, 07:26 PM
everything is expensive over there. Between teh BI-grocery $5- sandwiches, breakfast burritos at the airport for $6 , I kept the food budget down to normal-

gas is like 2.70 a gallon so make sure you go with a full tank.

I'll be back there soon.... I got a score to settle with a moose:devil:

Mr. Sandman
10-24-2004, 04:10 PM
:eek5:

A lot of fun but it was a bit of a blow out..

On Fri, the seas were up pretty big on the S. Side hitting the bluffs making the water dirty for 1/2 mile around the island. The NNE wind wrapped around the island making the rest of the place pretty difficult. There were a few fish caught but were pinned down to a few spots. Wind and seas continued to build and peaked Sat night :rolleyes: ...by then east side was insane.
By then it was even big at west side, where the surf drove a softball size rock into my shin and it felt like David Ortiz slammed my shin with a baseball bat. :eek: I was out of it for about 1/2 hour.

It was a lot of fun though to hang with you guys again and I sincerely hope we can do it again next season. I did not take too many photos but I did take a few. Here is one at the Old Harbor entrance. Look close, that tower at the end of the breakwater is probably 30'+ off the water, I will post a few others later...

BTW, if any of you are headed to BI to fish...PM me. I left about 100 eels in 3 buckets out there. I would be glad to see them go to good use.

Bill L
10-24-2004, 04:27 PM
The fishing could have been better, but it was definitely an experience that I feel lucky to have had, being my first fishing excursion to the island. I have gained a lot of insight on fishing the island that I've looked at from the shore of the mainland for many, many years. It was good fishing and hanging with all of the guys that went, looking forward to doing it agian!

Bliz
10-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Sorry about the weather, but it was a great time nonetheless...

Thanks DZ for all of the info and great stories, and thanks to those who were with us this weekend.

The Island is something to behold!

I'll be booking early for the next one, and I'll be in touch with those on the team who don't mind trying this again!

We missed you BM!... PNG & GBOUTDOORS!...

We'll have to try it earlier for 05.

chipwood
10-24-2004, 05:01 PM
I've been on the Island on and off for the past two weeks and the fishing has been soso. Biggest I've seen is 21#. The weather's been disappointing. Not alot of hits.

Bliz
10-24-2004, 05:09 PM
The wind and waves have been relentless...

And you're right, the bite wasn't on this past weekend.

Nebe
10-24-2004, 06:18 PM
sorry to hear this guys... I left the place feeling let down as well.

i guess for me, the moral of the story is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side:smash:

spence
10-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Eben, you mean to say that me filling your sink up with bloody water at 2am wasn't exciting :laughs: :laughs: :mad:

-spence

Mr. Sandman
10-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Bliz,

I tried to call you earlier. I wanted to thank you for your planning and behind the scenes efforts. I know what you went thru. Sorry we blew out of there so early today... Again, should there be an 05 trip I would be interested. Matt and I are already planning another visit perhaps next spring.

Thanks again,

Here are a couple more pics....

Mr. Sandman
10-24-2004, 07:19 PM
waves and wind

Mr. Sandman
10-24-2004, 07:20 PM
dare ya...

Slipknot
10-24-2004, 09:14 PM
I just got home from the Pats game:happy: 21 in a row now:D
I came home for 10 minutes and off to the game, My wife is very understanding and I owe her:)

Thanks again everyone, good company and we had fun trying to catch fish under severly difficult conditions. Jim thanks for taking the pic of my very first Block Island bass, I look hideous:cool:
The pics of the jetty are awesome :tu:

GO SOX:happy:

Nebe
10-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Slip... the first bass I ever caught on BI was exactly where you were standing. no joke :D

Flaptail
10-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Beat the hell out of yard work didn't it? In the early eighties a bunch of us from my hometown of Worcester MA. would go to the Block on Thanksgiving weekend. That was the first place I saw anyone using Needlefish. The fish were big, the climbing strenuous, tons of Pheasants and tons of Deer. Have not been back there since.

DZ
10-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Block Island Musings:

Bliz, KL, Toonoc, Slip, Matt - all first timers on the pork chop who paid they're BI dues. Your next trip there will be much better.

Bliz – Kudos for organizing trip. Credit where credit is due.

KL – Thanks for the interesting insights about auto salesmanship. I still hate buying cars.

Toonoc – Good to know that home additions/renovations do finally end. Thanks for the encouragement.

Slip – "Have plug making tools will travel" Need a heavier plug? Give Slip 5 minutes and presto! I'm impressed – your needlefish are sweet. Some real nice paint work by Dave "Matisse" Manzi.

Matt – Really impressed on how quick this guy can fall asleep – check his eyelids before you start talking to him. Matt – Please keep letting Jim drive.

Sandman – Good stories and interesting theories. Nice to know someone else thinks like me. We could talk for a solid week and still not cover everything. Maybe next time we'll catch more fish and talk less.

God Bless - Go Fish

DZ

KLMulder
10-25-2004, 09:41 AM
The weather sucked but I still had a great time. It is always a pleasure to go fishing with a great bunch of guys.

DZ thanks for your insight about the Block, great story's and it always nice to get familiar with someplace with someone who knows the ropes.

Look forward to doing it again.

KL

Gloucester2
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Slip - you're supposed to wear the Aquaskins over the Bronko :D

Nice fishy

Flaptail
10-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey Slip! You look like one of them Montauk Dudes!!!!!!:laughs: