View Full Version : kicker motors

quick decision
10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
I was wondering who here runs kickers off there boat. I have a mount for one and am seriosly considering buying a motor for it. I do a lot of trollinig and thought it would be a great way to cut gas costs and keep hours down on my motor. I have 25 foot boat and my dealer said a 9.9 would work. I need a 25 inch shaft. I thought a 4-stoke would be the best way to go. Less fumes, better gas milage, quieter. If i broke down off shore it could at least run off my mane tank and get me closer to home. Any suggestions from you guys/girls on what you use or would use?:confused:

MakoMike
10-21-2004, 01:04 PM
I used to run a 9.9 on my 23 footer, plenty of power to move the boat, just not on plane. I think a 4 stroke might be too heavy for the bracket?

Aqua-man
10-21-2004, 07:01 PM
I have a 7.5 Honda on my 20' center console. I don't troll with it much but it works great around rocks ( and sometimes on top of them) I don't have to worry about damaging my main motor. I leave the Honda on tilt and slide over almost anything.I also have a separate tank just in case I have a problem with the fuel system in the boat. The 4 stroke is stealthy also, if you take your time you can get right in the middle of school and they won't even know your there.;)

Vectorfisher
10-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Quick decision I can't see that you will ever make up for the cost and maintenance of a kicker by fuel savings. I don't know what you run for power but my 225 Rude uses 0.4 gallons per hour at troll. Now for the safety of having one is a personal decision I prefer the $ 100.00 to Tow Boat US but thats just me.

macojoe
10-21-2004, 08:27 PM
well I wish I could put one on my boat!! My Yamaha 175 is hard to get down to a nice troll speed!! I am always in and out of gear!!
I would love one just for trolling.
Good Luck!

quick decision
10-22-2004, 08:08 AM
I run a 260 merc v8 i/o. What kills me is if fish all day i can rack up the hours on the boat. Your right about milage. There is not much savings, its really the hours that accumate that kills me. Also, If I through two 5 gallon palesd off the back im still at 2.8 knots. Not ideal for tube and worm. Fishing near rocks, i am scared to death. If that bravo 3 gets dinged up$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Not to mention i will drift into the rocks or worse. I think it comes down to how much you fork over for the kicker engine. I like the idea of sneaking up to a school on stealth mode. Only a four stroke cn do that.

thefishingfreak
10-24-2004, 11:44 AM
heres one for 400 bucks (http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547/ultimatebb.php/topic/4/6428.html)

quick decision
10-25-2004, 09:04 AM
on it.