View Full Version : Road Trip

jenty
10-03-2001, 04:16 AM
I was up there last weekend for a night and I felt like I was cheated (strond NE winds and lots of weeds) :( So I decided that I'm gonna do a road trip this week/weekend sometime. I need some info on places to fish and places to park (street names would be great). I'm new to fishing your Wonderland so any help would be greatly appreciated. Try and be as descriptive as possible please as I will most likely be arriving in the dark. Thanks in Advance.

Patrick82
10-03-2001, 05:06 AM
Where are you looking to fish? We've got people all over the North east. Jaiem and Mike P are LIers, me and Chris L are CTers, MAers, Rhodys, New Hampshire, I believe.

If you want to fish Fairfield, CT, I can help you out. That's what I know.

jenty
10-03-2001, 10:54 AM
Oopppss.......guess that would help a little. :) We'll be fishing Weekapaug and Watch Hill Area. I fished Weekapaug last weekend, but I couldn't find Watch Hill as it was dark when I was trying to find it. I think I was in the right area, but parking seemed very limited as there were a lot of houses around. :(

JohnR
10-03-2001, 11:56 AM
BTW - It's "Rhode Trip"

When you were fishing Weekapaug Point, if you looked to your right, a few miles to the west, you may have seen a lighthouse beacon. That's Watch Hill light.

To get to Watch Hill from Weekeapaug, get back onto RT1a south and head down a few miles until you see a sign for WH - take left and follow down into Watch Hill. As you pass through the little village (little shops and a large Inn on your left) you'll start heading back up a hill after the road curves left. Quickly on your left you'll see the back entrance to the Inn parking lot. Try to park as far away from the Inn and as close to the entrance as you can. When you walk back out onto the road, go left and across the street maybee 300-500 feet, you'll see the road you walk to get to the light. It's not a bad walk.

Use this link: Watch Hill Light (http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/map.mb?&MA=2&grp=m&DU=MI&W=600&H=400&IC=41.304354%3A-71.858486%3A650%3AWatch%20Hill%20Light%3A41.308608 %3A-71.856965%3A8%3AInn%20Parking&noPrefs=1&CMD=LFILL&CT=41.309688:-71.854091:20000&GAD3=Westerly%2c+RI&GAD4=USA&AD3=westerly%2c+ri&AD4=USA&Zip=02891)

Just be sure to be quiet & respectfull of the area. The mansions are BIG & $$$$ and not many approve of the fisherman accessing (perfectly legally) the shoreline.

bassmaster
10-03-2001, 10:45 PM
i would love to go back there and get some more bass, I had a ball there. got rock?

jenty
10-04-2001, 04:40 AM
John;

Other than Weekapaug, The beach in front of that hotel, and the light. Are there any other spots I might want to try if it ain't happenin' at the others? Or is it always happenin' in RI? :D

JohnR
10-04-2001, 08:07 AM
Jenty - in the 40 miles from Narragansett, west to the end of the state - there is several inlets, 80 points, several miles of virgin beach... the list goes on and on...

Many places are going to be a zoo this weekend - especially Watch Hill. The only places probably more crowded will be the Breachways - also excellent spots...

If you went to Watch Hill and it was either crowded or lacking of fish. Pop back over to Weekapaug point & work the area... There is plenty from the beach to the breachway to work.

One of the things to consider is that these fish are moving. Today's Quonny fish are at WH tomorrow. Some days go by without hardly any fish. I was at WH last night - didn't get a single tap. I saw two rat blues and one rat bass taken and there must have been 15 guys there last night... Tomorrow night, it may be nuts... Right time at the right place...

Answer to you question, always sumthin happenin' in Rhode Island ;) :D

Cool_Hand_Fluke
10-04-2001, 09:25 AM
Hey John...or anybody else for that matter...how far east could you walk on those sandy beaches from the Andrea...feasabily all the way to WH?

Just curious.

Also are there any "points" between the two.

Jenty you and George of the Jungle may want give that some thought...esp if the current and the wind are not honking like they were last weekend.

JohnR
10-04-2001, 09:29 AM
WH is west of the Andrea. And you could walk the three miles all the way to the start of the rip-rapof the Hill... If you walked east, you would end up at the soft side of the Weekapaug Breachway (I'm pretty sure that it's continuous but I've never done it)...

Cool_Hand_Fluke
10-04-2001, 09:33 AM
I meant to say west....I always get my directions screwy once I cross the Hudson. :D :D

jenty
10-04-2001, 11:43 AM
Cool Deal!!!! Thanks for all your help! One more thing though... :) Whats the weather supposed to be like this weekend? (sat night/sun morn) I would hate to make the almost 4 hour drive to hook into all those weeds again :D

CHF... LOL Me and George of the Jungle were talkin' about doin just that. The only problem would be...if you walk 3 miles west, you gots to turn around and walk 3 miles east!!! :D Thats 6 miles!!!! :D

Cool_Hand_Fluke
10-04-2001, 12:05 PM
You gotta look at it this way...if you get to fish 3 miles of beautiful RI coast while heading west....you get to fish 3 more miles of coast coming back. :D :D

jenty
10-04-2001, 12:21 PM
I kinda figured you would look at the glass as half-full. :)

Fishpart
10-04-2001, 12:41 PM
Weather,
There is supposed to be a cold front moving in some time early Saturday along with rain. Usually bring NW winds, SW winds are the best for most spots in Rhody

jenty
10-06-2001, 12:51 AM
I wanna head out of here tonight around 6 or 7pm. That will put me in RI at 10 or 11pm. Before I go, I would like to get an up to the minute weather report. If any of you R. Islanders think about it, could you post it as late tommorow afternoon as possible. Thanks.

bassmaster
10-06-2001, 02:27 AM
slip and I slayed bass, im junk and my hands is junk and we left twinkieville with some little 20lb bass.
we left bass.
im tired........ . . . ....... :eek:

Tattoo
10-06-2001, 06:18 AM
your on probation...