View Full Version : WIRE LINE?

LINESIDES
10-03-2001, 07:45 AM
JOHN, MEMBERS,
JUST WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS RELATED TO TAKING A WORLD RECORD STRIPER ON WIRE. IS THERE ANY THING IN PRINT SAYING THIS WOULD BE AN ISSUE IN QUALIFYING FOR THE RECORD?
:cool:

Jaiem
10-03-2001, 08:06 AM
Last I heard the IGFA still doesn't recognize wire line. Lead core they accept but not wire.

Can someone with a recent IGFA rules book look this up?

Mr. Sandman
10-03-2001, 09:50 AM
I recently read in the 1999 IGFA book (sorry I don't have the latest rev) that Wire is NOT allowed.

Also, lures with treble hooks are also not allowed when they are trolled BUT are allowed when they are casted.

There are also some odd restrictions on leaders being less then 15 feet.

The most common reason for failure to accept at world record is the line test (most lines over test). (you have to send in 30' of your line, with photos and your fish HAS to be weighted on a certified IGFA scale)

Patrick82
10-03-2001, 11:47 AM
The reason why there is a leader restriction is this: If you catch a fish and your leader is too long, your catch is recorded under the breaking strength of the leader. Otherwise, boaters could have a 50 yard "leader" of 500lb test and have that connected to 6lb test and try to claim they caught it on 6lb test.

It's unfortunate for the surfguys. When you consider there are people out there using surf rods that are 12 to 15 feet long for heaving bait. A shock leader in place for safety is going to be at least 25 feet long. It is unfortunate but those are the rules. If you have read J. Burnley's "Surfcasting the atlantic coast" he mentions a guy's 92lb red drum was labeled under the 50lb test mark even though he was using much lighter line all because his shock leader was 20 feet long.

Wirelines usually have very high breaking strength. There are limits on breaking strengths which depend on species of fish. I wonder what would happen if you used a wire line set up that broke under the line limitations.

Jaiem
10-03-2001, 01:19 PM
Pat,

You can get wire in any breaking strength. Typically since wire is used for deep trolling, to handle the strain people use heavy wire but you can get light wire too.

It isn't the strength issuse, it's the wire itself the IGFA doesn't support.

Mr. Sandman
10-03-2001, 02:00 PM
Jaiem is correct. Here is the direct qoute from the book:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"A. Line

1 Monofilament, multifilament and lead core multifilament lines may be used. For line classes, see Worle Record Requirements.

2) Wire lines are prohibited."

--------------------------------------------------------------------
(Under World Redcord Catagories...it has 4 pages of text on different items, but under striped bass..the max line class cat. is 50 lb CLASS. (2,4,6,8,12,16,20,30,50.............80 130 are the offical classes)

Class line is different from "test" line. with class line the line will break near but always under the rated amont amount (*hopefully at the rated amount*) and test line is a little less strict, most test lines can handle the tension rating. (ie. if you hung 20lb weight from 20 lb class and 20 lb test, it would break with the class line and probaly would hold the test line)

If your serious about going for a world record to get your name in a book....fish with 2 lb class line and catch a 22lber...and your there. for women, you only need a 10 lber. Step one however is to join the IGFA and get the book.

for the record: the ALL TACKLE record is 78 lb 8 oz from AC, NJ on Sept 21 1982 by A.R. McReynolds
They have a separate catagory for landlocked...how about a 67lb 8 oz landlocked striped bass! fomr O'Neill Forebay, Los Banos, CA Sept 1992 by H. Ferguson

this is per my 1999 book. I only get one every few years....to dream a little.

Patrick82
10-03-2001, 03:02 PM
Interesting, very interesting.

I wonder what's with the IGFA...

LINESIDES
10-04-2001, 07:19 AM
Thanks folks;)
Later