View Full Version : VS line roller on 706Z?

PurpelNoon
10-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Just wondering -will a line roller from a VS fit on a 706Z? The 706 roller catches the line with no problem, but if the line becomes slack, lets say when changing a lure, the braid comes off too easily. I thought the VS line roller has more "catch" to it.

Mike P
10-25-2004, 06:33 PM
No---the post that anchors the roller to the pick-up arm is smaller on the VS than on the 706.

PurpelNoon
10-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks Mike.

Oh well, there goes that idea!:)

Nebe
10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
i'm sure you could modify it to accept a VS lineroller... Perhaps you could take an angle grinder and remove the roller housing that the 706 comes with and buy a line roller bracket from VS, then bolt on the bracket to the Penn. I dont have a penn 706, but it looks like you might be able to do it to a penn 704. Then you cold get really tricky and mount a counter weight to the other side.

spence
10-25-2004, 07:05 PM
The VS line roller is incredibly sticky. I'd be concerned there's more too it than just the roller though...overall geometry etc...

-spence

PurpelNoon
10-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe during the winter I'll try out a VS. I am happy that I got to learn the Penn's first rather than jumping into the big VS expense from day one. Like they did in the old days, guys kind of "graduated" to better equipment. I guess thats what I'll do! :)

Nebe
10-25-2004, 09:33 PM
I think it depends on how much you fish and how hard you fish. If your only fishing a few times a month and have the time to break down your reels often and clean them all the time, you dont need a VS. But if your fishing alot, dunking your reels alot, and targeting big fish, it makes sense to have one...

maddog2020
10-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Some one said the VS liner rollers are $35 a pop - OUCH!

You are right Eben - if ya want to put the time into it you can retrofit almost anything. ;) You can machine a spacer to fill the gap since the arbors are different size, but you have to cut away that ss tooth/tapered post on the 706Z - it would interfer w/ the VS line roller.

The diameters of each liner roller are a little different as well so that will influence how the line lays one the spool. VS is 9.0mm and the 706z is 9.5mm. You may have to shim the VS liner roller out as well to clear the aluminum cast L bracket on the 706z - if u do that you can run out of stud/post length.

Installing VS's frame that holds the roller to the rotor cup is probably another $35+ part so learning how to deal w/the line popping out may be cheaper in the long run. I always keep my pointing finger out and keep tension on the line regardless of lure/bait weight. Just a habit I developed over the yrs from fishing light lures on 2-4 lb mono.

Why does the VS liner roller have such a long "flat" on it where the line lays?? Every other company makes it a notch for the line to fit. I think the reason VS has line lay issues w/ braid on certain size reels is because they use the SAME line roller on the 100 up to 300. Not sure of the 400 size since I have never seen one in person.

If you really want to do it, PN - buy the parts and send me the reel. I'll mess around with it for ya during the winter when I'm bored of hopping around on the internet. ;)

I totally agree w/ Eben's about how often & hard you fish in the surf. I was out in Westerly on Sunday and the surf was BIG. I got smashed by the water a number of times and was happy my Shimano Spheros had a water proof drag. :) A buddy of mine was laughing at me when I was spitting saltwater out of my mouth and shaking my reel to get the water out of it.....LOL. I hate tearing reels apart and cleaning them out - that is a winter project.

PurpelNoon
10-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Ray,

Thanks for the offer. I do have a spare 706 lying around, now I just need to pick up a VS line roller. I would never try that myself as I'm mechanically ill. I can just imagine a 706 without an handle backplay and a VS roller, it would be unstoppable!

Anyone know where I can get a step by step instruction on how to dissassemable a 706 or 704 then clean it and reassemable it? I hear its easy but I don't want to chance it without gettting instructed first. My reels are filled with grease and I know I will have to clean it out after the season ends.

BTW, I have a SPheros as well and I love it. I havent really dunked it yet, but soooooon! :)

Nebe
10-26-2004, 08:32 AM
I do think it would be easier to mount the roller and roller housing to a penn than to try to retrofit the penn's roller assembly to hold a VS roller.

spence
10-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by PurpelNoon
I can just imagine a 706 without an handle backplay and a VS roller, it would be unstoppable! If handle backplay is important to you, then go to a shop and play around with a VS. You won't believe the anti-reverse :eek:

-spence

PurpelNoon
10-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Packing with grease helps, but it still puts slack in the line sometimes too. Every day the temptation grows to get the VS. Is the new VS run coming out soon? I noticed the small shipment quantities that most retailers have are almost gone. Are the new ones going to have a different design or is it just the same reel but all parts manufactured by Zebco? Someone mentioned that the machines that make the parts do not have variation so technically they should be identical in every aspect as the formerly VS original models. I hope so!:)

spence
10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't believe there's going to be any difference aside from some parts made overseas. I don't fish every day, so to be honest it's somewhat of a novelty item for me...but it is a joy to fish with. If I didn't have a little extra money to get one I probably wouldn't.

-spence

piemma
10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't think I deserve a VS. Me and my old Penns will just have to keep pluggin' away. Pun intended

Nebe
10-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Piemma you deserve one you just dont know it yet :D

spence
10-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Pie, you don't deserve the Penns :smash: you slacker :laughs:

-spence