View Full Version : Needlefish Bucktail Feathers or Not

john hollenberg
10-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I usually use a single 5/0 or 6/0 hook as the tail hook on a needlefish. I put bucktail and or flash and hackles on the hook because I feel that it adds to it's fishyness.

I am fortunate to have a friend who is a real good fisherman. He fishes a naked treble as the tail hook on his needlefish. A few weeks ago fishing side by side during a 4 days of good action I saw no diffence in the fish catching having feathers or hair on the tail hook.

How about a single vs treble tail hook. I live the single because it makes it easier to unhook the smaller fish which seem to hit the plug from behind more times then not.

What do you people think?

RIJIMMY
10-26-2004, 09:57 AM
I like the bucktails on the tail. I modify my superstrike needles with a single hook and bucktail.
Im not sure if it catches more fish, I just like how it looks

bassmaster
10-26-2004, 10:20 AM
John as You know I use plain trebles, but I like the way You put them fethers on the needles. I have tossed that plug and gotten fish.

JeffH
10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Ha! Had a conversation with that friend the other night regarding the feathers vs. treble issue. I'll stick with two extra hooks rather than the feathers. However, I always use feathers on my Pencil Poppers but they don't work on the back beaches anyway..............

fishweewee
10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
BM's idea of pork rind on a nekkid siwash works pretty well, especially if there is some current.

Think I'll try a curlytail next time I'm out.

Flaptail
10-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi John and welcome to this site. We are a bunch of wierdo's but nice wierdo's. As to your question myself and Bassmaster talked of that subject one night in early September on the way to the beach. I, like BM, prefer naked trebles but I have one home made needle that has hackles and flashbou and has been catching lately and get most hits after the ocassional pause in the retrieve. It's been producing better than the others, Here is a pic of that needle.:D

Flaptail
10-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Here is an early Gibbs needle, the 6 inch w/3 #1 trebles from the early eighties. We tied short stiff hackle to gice the silhouette of a tail. They worked great at Monomoy when the sand eels were heavy and the seals weren't.

RIROCKHOUND
10-26-2004, 01:46 PM
The curly tail doesnt work... especially not black on the end of a stubby supperstrike needle... nope not at all:smash:

Damn, there I have gone and said too much again....

RIJIMMY
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
RIR, nice idea, I definatley will not do it

DRMatus
10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Your friend must be a complete hack. I hear he fishes with an upside down spinning reel.

Karl F
10-26-2004, 06:05 PM
I like them, personal preference, I guess, but, most bass whack the belly hook, so :huh:

since I switched to fireline, I've foul hooked a couple with the rear hook, 'cause I feel them bump it, get excited and set it... got to learn to be more patient, but, maybe I would of missed them :huh:

bassmaster
10-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Karl there coming up and slapping the plug out of the water. have that happen all the time.
how many needles in my bag:happy: