View Full Version : Chest Waders VS Wet Suit

partsjay
10-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I use chest waders right now. My question is, how many of you guys use wet suits over chest waders? If you do use a wet suit, how crazy of fishing do you do? I have read about those guys "skishing" in NY, do you guys do that? Looks like its pretty nuts to do that. Do you guys find that a wet suit is safer than chest waders? I normally dont go out much past my waist if possible, but after reading about some of the things you guys do, Im starting to wonder if i need to get a little more daring. Its nothing I would want to do alone or at night, but was curious. Thanks for the input, Jay

RIROCKHOUND
10-26-2004, 11:43 AM
I use a wetsuit in big shallow surf where I feel its better to be out alittle farther... I dont skiish, my feet mostly stay on the sand, but i will swim over troughs to get to a bar... plus I cant fill up with water if I take a wave over the head (no i dont have a aquaskinz) and I move easier/faster in a suit......
just watch out suits can be cold, especially out of the water if its windy...

tlapinski
10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
i liked the suit when i used it this year. even got me into some fish i may not have been able to otherwise. (see the picture on the front page)

RIROCKHOUND
10-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Yup.... can be an advantage... i just feel safer in the water.... plus.. its fun!

MAC
10-26-2004, 12:47 PM
A statement Paul Melynk (sp?) made comes to mind when he was doing a skishing charter. " if a shark grabs me I expect you to help get it #^&#^&#^&#^&:eek: No thanks, waders are enough. Just thinking about the shark and 3' of water rule.:laughs:

Saltheart
10-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Don't let a wet suit or what other people do change your comfort zone in fishing. Know your own limitations. I use waders. I did scuba dive for a long time but despite having the wet suit , I never used it fishing. IMO , if you put on a wet suit , you should also have flippers on. A wet suit may make you brave enough to get out where a current can grab you. Without the flippers , you may not get back!!

FishermanTim
10-26-2004, 01:15 PM
I agree with Saltheart, don't exceed your comfort level.
For example, I wear Neoprene chest waders, which have a natural bouyancy, but I don't want to find out for myself. I NEVER fish in water that is deeper than my waist. I made the mistake of getting caught in the east end during the incoming tide (east flow) and nearly had to swim back to my exit point. I never let that happen again!
Better to be safe and sound than sorry or gone!
:uhoh: :bc: :uhoh: :bc: :uhoh:

reelecstasy
10-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Great reply Saltheart, goes well with my thread about BIG Surf and pfd's. I wasn't even out that deep, mid thigh but a wall of a swell took my a$$ out. I scared the hell out of the woman watching me. She saw me walk out there and was shaking her head in disbelief. Then after my "swim" I could see she turned her light on and was standing in her door watching to see if I came back up..:D
At the end of the night I was walking back by her porch and she came out and asked if I crazy:smash: I said "ya, a little-but I got stripes" holding the keeper I took home...She just shook her head and went back inside... "I LIVE FOR THIS"
GO SOX

rizzo
10-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Going out alone at night in a wetsuit may seem "nuts" at first but once you know how the currents and tides work it doesnt seem so crazy anymore. The guys going out there and doing that kind of thing have a lot of experience in the area and know exactly where the tides are going and where to swim in case they do run into trouble.

MAC
10-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Call me fickle but I commercial tuna fished in the 80's for a season and no way. I have seen what swims out there. And not as far out as you may think. Fishing; either on my feet or in a boat. No in between.

eelslinger
10-26-2004, 04:52 PM
http://walter.ariaracing.com/bass/25a.jpg

I got a wetsuit this year to swim to this rock at night.

All my best fish have been because of it this year.

There are some pro and cons.

The biggest pro is you do not have to worry about getting wet and the freedom that gives is worthwhile. It is a rush to be in the water and a wave over your head can even be fun. It will also protect you from falls, a little bit

The biggest downside for me is you have to take a leak in it. That leads to rashes and a very unpleasant stink.

Depending on your style of fishing it is a great tool and I wish I had one before.

Nebe
10-26-2004, 04:58 PM
If your fat enough like me you dont need a wetsuit :laughs:

MikeTLive
10-26-2004, 05:04 PM
didn't your momma tell you if you have to go you should have thought about that before you left!!!

wizzin in the wetsuit.. :rolleyes:

eelslinger
10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by MikeTLive
didn't your momma tell you if you have to go you should have thought about that before you left!!!

wizzin in the wetsuit.. :rolleyes:

One of the 1st reactions to putting a wetsuit on is to go, due to the pressure, on the body. Also, the body responds to cold temps the same way. You can't avoid it.

Goose
10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Last winter I did alot of research in prepartion for wet suiting.

I agree wet suits are not for everyone but I think if your in good health then why not?? Given the right shoreline you can't compare waders to wetsuit. You must take baby steps when wet suiting. I fished waders early spring, about mid may it was only wetsuit....why go back? I would have whore waders in certain areas but the thrill of just being able to get on rocks that I was never able to before makes you truly versitle and had me going back over and over again. Some time around june I hooked up with cowhunter and just that one night I had a whole different out look on the surf....confidence in what ever you do is everything. I highly suggest to fish with someone who's do it, uses the right gear and doesn't half a$$ chit.
Take a leak before hand.....lol yeah right. Being in the wetuist you gota go all the time. I was always takin it off half way... pain in the a$$...I luv P'in in my wetuist...HELLO

waders///history

theSURF121
10-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Wet suiting has many pros and few cons.It is certainly safer and can put you into more fish. The down side is when you exit the water and the air temps are low. Also, make sure you rinse well when nature calls:D . Know your limitations and all will be fine.

capesams
10-26-2004, 08:39 PM
I think back about looking at all the black an white pic's of all the first surf guy's an all they had on was car key paints rolled half way up to their knee's and the waterline never got to their knee's......if it weren't for the waves breaking on the beach ,I wouldn't need anything more than knee boots. ....no fish is worth my life.

MikeTLive
10-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I wear a pair of hip boots.
mostly I am on the marsh so this lets me fish right up into high tide.

Also works OK for getting into the foam and not gettin soaked.
I figure some day I will go with some farmerjohns but I have an excuse... A windsurfer :)