View Full Version : Last Hours Of Misery!

BigFish
10-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Pinch me....for I am truely walking in a dream! Our Boston Red Sox are leading the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series 3 games to zero! I am having a great deal of difficulty coming to grips with the fact that in a few short hours, the baseball Gods willing, the Boston Red Sox could actually end their 86 year drought and win a World Championship! To be finally sitting on the highest plateau in the baseball world. Champions of Major League Baseball.....the words do not tumble easily from my tongue, nor do they clearly ring in my mind! I am almost afraid to think the thought.....that our beloved Boston Red Sox could very shortly be pig-piling on the center of a baseball diamond celebrating what has eluded many a great Red Sox team, and many a great Red Sox player! Celebrating the brass ring....the pot of gold at the end of baseballs rainbow.......do we dare think the thought? In a few short hours, all of the 86 championshipless seasons will wither and die away, melting like so much piled snow after a long and cold winter. The foggy recollections of games and seasons gone awry will disappear. Haunting images of a pitcher left on the mound too long......images of Buckner and the ball bounding between his legs.....of Schiraldi and Gedman, of a Bucky Dent pop up just clearing the Green Monster on a glorious October afternoon and my hero Yaz hanging his head.....images of a Bill Lee ephus pitch leaving the yard in a crucial World Series game 7.......Aparicio falling as he rounded 3rd base, a dominant Bob Gibson closing the door on an Impossible Dream season......Pesky holding the ball as Enos "Country" Slaughter streaked home......all of these images and many more are finally going to fade away. The sound bites that still run through our tormented mind...."Vin Scully......what was that you said again"? Yes, it will be only a bad memory instead of a tormented, twisted image on a television screen that we can only turn away from each time it is shown! I will enjoy, in some strange way, the final hours of misery.....because soon, they will be a part of the past instead of a constant reminder of that which our Red Sox have been unable to achieve. Seasons, years, decades and generations have come and gone.....only to leave without that which we desire most as Red Sox fans......to be called World Champions! Just once in our lifetime to be called World Champions! To see victory, to feel victory.....just once will be after all, worth the wait! For all those who have passed before sharing such a moment....there will surely be someone thinking of how you might have enjoyed the moment had you lived to see it.......in our memories, those who have cheered before us will share in the fruits of the long wait.;)

Enjoy the game friends.:D

MikeTLive
10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
...Words words words.

what a long winded bandwagon chaser.

afterhours
10-27-2004, 04:23 PM
very well said BF- may we all rejoyce in the glow and the ear to ear grins that we shall soon be wearing, God willing. enjoy my freinds for it doesn't get any better than this!:D " what a long strange trip it's been"...

KLMulder
10-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Now that you said all that watch the Cards win the next 4:shocked:

spence
10-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Doesn't count KL, he's a big poser :laughs:

True redsox fans are holding their breath :eek:

-spence

KLMulder
10-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by spence
Doesn't count KL, he's a big poser :laughs:

True redsox fans are holding their breath :eek:

-spence

I have seen that the rest of you kicked Bigfish off the wagon and locked the door to the bus, I hope the Red Sox win, It will be nice not to hear all this curse BS anymore. I just hope Boston still stands if they win, with the way the fans reacted after the ALCS Fenway may be a pile of ash after the WS.

BigFish
10-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Spence....re-read text...if you can't tell, thats kind of what I am talking about....holding my breath, being apprehensive!:smash: ;)

DaveS
10-27-2004, 05:55 PM
86 years since their last series win huh? in '86 they lost to the Mets no? Ohhh man, I feel another curse coming :eek: . The new "86" curse:laughs:

Go sox:D

spence
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
The curse of BigFish, which can only be broken by sending me plugs :smash:

-spence

BigFish
10-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Plug Ho poser!;)

KLMulder
10-27-2004, 06:10 PM
I think I should get a plug because i am a Yankee fan and was at game 7 of the ALCS.:hidin:

spence
10-27-2004, 06:20 PM
You already go a plug you Wrangler wearing Yankeez hoin plug poser :smash:

-spence

KLMulder
10-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Ok Spence you dont need to send 1 to me but these other 2000+ people better get it in gear.

tynan19
10-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey BigFish if I didn't know that you fell off the bandwagon I would have said that, that read was very moving. Very immpressive.

I hope they win for all the die hard fans that have passed recently without seeing them win. I think of my elderly neighbor who just passed a couple years ago who always wore a redsox jacket. I think of my 85year old Grandma who faithfully watches every game. I think of my father who always talks about the heartaches he has seen growing up.

I hope they win so I can go wake up my son and let him watch, because this may never happen again in his lifetime.

BigFish
10-27-2004, 11:09 PM
My Dad would truely have enjoyed this night and this World Series.....its moments like this that I truely miss him! I am sure he is smiling where ever he is.;)

afterhours
10-28-2004, 07:05 AM
this is the first red sox world series without my dad, i'm sure he's up there celebrating with other sox fans. they're probably joking about hell frezzing over:)

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by afterhours
this is the first red sox world series without my dad, i'm sure he's up there celebrating with other sox fans. they're probably joking about hell frezzing over:)

Think of this way, While he was up there he probably found the Babe and kicked is butt and told him to leave us alone...... and I'm pretty sure my grandfather probably held the Babe down for him. :D

afterhours
10-28-2004, 07:31 AM
:D