View Full Version : SHOCK LEADERS?

Mr. Kav
10-05-2001, 08:39 AM
I am not quite sure what you guys are refering to as a shock leader. could someone try and explain this to me? I have used what i have always called shock leaders but am sure it is not the same as what you guys are talking about. What i always called a shock leader is what we would use when tuna fishing with hand lines and tie of a piece of mono to a cleat or something and when the fish runs it breaks that mono and sets the hook for you.

Jaiem
10-05-2001, 09:23 AM
In surf fishing, espeically with lures, a "shock leader" is a heavier section of mono attached between the main line and the lure. The intent is to aborb the shock of the fish's hit.

In my experience a shock also has many other good advantages:

- It's an abrassion leader. Typically you're using anywhere from 40# to 60# mono as a the leader and as such it can usually take more rubbing against rocks etc. than the say 15-20# mono you're casting with.

- It's a grab leader. Having a heaviler section of mono at the front is much easier and safer on your hands to grab and pull than thinner casting line. Very helpful when trying to get a fish up the rocks.

- It's a bite off leader. While bass don't have teeth it does help prevent more toothy critters like blues from biting through the line (not as good as wire but far less spooky too).

Got Stripers
10-05-2001, 10:15 AM
It's to prevent the "shock" at realizing you just lost two fingers trying to lift the thrashing 30 lber into the boat by grabbing the 30 lb spiderwire :(.

Slipknot
10-05-2001, 10:21 AM
I thought it was used on a conventional surf reel and goes from the snap/lure thru the guides and wraps the spool a few times, so when casting it absorbs the shock. It's usually heavier line than your running line, unless your running line is braid. I guess it all depends on how heavy a lure/weight you're throwing. anyone else?

JohnR
10-05-2001, 10:27 AM
Bing Bong - Slip - you've just said that magic words.... That's pretty much it. When I fish with a leader, it ain't a "shock leader" it is an anti-break 'em off on a rock leader. It's and extra 20 pounds of line strength when that bass is rubbibg it's gumms on some underwater moonrock trying to break free...