View Full Version : Bearings 101

5/0
10-28-2004, 07:07 PM
I was thinking about changing the bearings in my conventional to get more casting distance, has anybody here done this. If so, want to share some of the Pros-Cons.

Thanks in advance

5/0

MAC
10-29-2004, 05:50 AM
Unless you can cast like the tournament guys it probably isn't worth it. The main thing is to clean the ones you have. I tried it with a 7500CT. (ceramics) They are smooth but didn't notice a big difference in casting distance, Plus they cost 40 bux

5/0
10-29-2004, 12:24 PM
How much distance did you gain,did you measure before & after?

I can cast a 3 1/2 oz. plug 105 yards.I've measured it foot for foot.
I know that when casting 4oz.tins IM getting noticeable more distance.
So how much more would i gain if i put ceramic bearings in.
I'd hate to drop 40 bucks for somthing that isn't really worth it.

thanks
5/0

MAC
10-29-2004, 12:28 PM
never actually measured it but would believe gain is 10% or less. Cleaning, spinning and lube are a better bet. Plus the ceramics seem to take more maintenance. Seem to get loud when dirty. But nothing lighter fluid and acetone won't cure.

slapshot
10-29-2004, 01:26 PM
An upgrade from the stock bearings to Abecs might be worth a try. They are not as expensive and easier to maintain.

fishweewee
10-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Stock bearings are likely Abec 3 tolerance.

You could upgrade to stainless Abec 7 for $7/bearing.

Key thing is to keep them cleaned (flush with WD-40 regularly) and lubed (use 3-in-1 20 weight oil OR yellow rocket fuel).

Ron Arra's distance casting video (filmed by Mike Laptew aka Fish_Eye) has a wonderful section on bearing maintenance at the end of the video.

Don't bother with expensive and fragile ceramics.

5/0
10-29-2004, 02:14 PM
I keep my reels to the T. I don't think I can get-em any cleaner.I do use lighter fluid and acetone to do the degreaseing & prep for the oiling.It works well,maybe IM barking up the wronge tree.

I've heard some people use there conventionals down @ the ditch,and for some reason, the reel that they use sounds differnt from mine.and there just casting a whole lot further than me........Now I dunno if it's there Bearings or a diff conventional modle than mine.
Hey maybe it's my Pole.
thanks for your help.....

5/0

5/0
10-29-2004, 07:00 PM
One other thing, some of you people fish the Canal either it's jiggin eelin or pluggin how far are you guy's castin on your conventionals.I know IM not castin a country mile but what gives how much futher are you casting & how???

I use a stock Calcutta 700S w/30# Mono Triline BG on a G-Loomis 1267C 10'6"Heavy Fast action
Thanks in advance

5/0

jkswimmer
10-29-2004, 09:42 PM
I tried ceramics this year in my 7000 3c silver. I found a difference in distance. In my oppion the stock bearings need more maintaince. You might try to clean the level wind gears with WD40 this helps alot.

Fishpart
10-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Only you can decide if ceramics are worth it for you. You can get many stock sized stainless steel ABEC-5 bearings from McMaster Carr for just about the same price as stock bearings. You need the OD, ID and Width in millimeters to get the right size. If you are changing them anyway might as well upgrade without breaking the bank...

5/0
10-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Fishpart
Only you can decide if ceramics are worth it for you. You can get many stock sized stainless steel ABEC-5 bearings from McMaster Carr for just about the same price as stock bearings. You need the OD, ID and Width in millimeters to get the right size. If you are changing them anyway might as well upgrade without breaking the bank...
That's the answer i was looking for Fishpart!Where/how do I contact McMaster Carr?

jkswimmer
the reel gets the full treatment, no part gets forgotten!

5/0

BigBo
10-30-2004, 03:55 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/

There you go.

5/0
10-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Thank you very much BigBo

5/0

afterhours
10-30-2004, 07:28 PM
CERAMICS GAIN YOU ABOUT 5% DISTANCE, I FOUND THE SAME GAIN UPGRADING TO ABEC 7'S. LESS $$$. MAIN THING IS TO KEEP BRGS PROPERLY CLEANED AND LUBED( MINIMAL IS GOOD).