View Full Version : DZ...Re: Korker mods

Mr. Sandman
10-29-2004, 03:43 PM
I have a old lace pair that qualify for your mods. I think I will give them a try. But after you wear the screws down are you able to back them off to change them?

DZ
11-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Jim,
If you let the stainless bolts and nuts wear too long you may need to use a vice grip to hold the nut while you back out the screw. On rare occasions I've had to hacksaw the bolt off for replacement. Use 3/4 inch stainless pan head screws and some washers to keep them from pulling through the korker sandal. I don't use lock nuts - after each outing I re-tighten any nuts that have loosened. Use re-enforced flexible garden hose to make your straps. Cut the garden hose length wise around 6 inches long. Fold to make a loop(where your lace passes through) and attach the hose using some of the existing korker holes or drill out some new holes in the sandal. The garden hose straps last for years.
DZ

NIB
11-01-2004, 08:00 AM
In jersy we have large granite rock jetty's an the dry rock can be very dangererous even with the carbide studs do u notice any diff.in the gription from the carbide to the stainless.

Joe
11-01-2004, 08:57 AM
DZ!...DZ!...DZ!
Huge interest in those Korker mods!

DZ
11-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Joe,
I'll post the hardware specs this afternoon - I have to hit the hardware store to restock for my upcoming week on the Pork Chop.
The bolts work a little better than traditional korker studs on dry rock - but you still have to be very careful. I slide more on dry rock than those that are slime covered. Jetty stones are the worst.

DZ
11-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Ok, here is what I use for the replacement spikes.

Hillman Stainless Pan Phillips Machine Screws, Size 10
24 x 3/4" Item #828504 with matching nuts and washers.

Buy them by the box and save $ - a box of 100 is around $8.00. Nuts and washers will be reusable so you won't need to replace them as often.

tlapinski
11-01-2004, 01:10 PM
i have been doing this for about 4 years now. i go with 1.25" - 1.5" SS bolts. i opt for the locknuts, too. even when you try to stretch the life out of a set and wear into the nuts, they come off pretty easy. another mod i will do is to use D rings on the loops where your laces go. it makes it a lot easier to tighten the laces down.

you can get some very good deals from jamestown distributors on stainless hardware. they have a website. i ordered some more hardware last monday, and they were at my door in about 2 days.

jbapinoy
11-01-2004, 02:21 PM
do you have pics on the mods you did guys?

Mr. Sandman
11-01-2004, 03:28 PM
jb,
See On The Water this month there is a blurb and photo about DZ's mods to his korkers.

DZ ,
thanks for the hardware tips.

Tlap...1.5"... WOW your up there!

rizzo
11-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I've tried 1.5" on the K-5000s and I think theyre a little too long and sometimes bend under your weight. The 1.25" seem to be just about right.

reebok
11-01-2004, 04:52 PM
So Korkers slide on some rocks? I have a pair that slide like heck and I thought were defective or something. I never used them.

Thanks for the info about the mod... I was going to toss these, but maybe with the mod I can get something out of them.

Studded felts work well but they wear after a few seasons. The studs pop out when the felt is thin.

Joe
11-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I once stepped on a flat concrete bridge support that was tilted down like a wedge....
Went flying.....:smash: :smash:
They don't hold at all on untextured concrete

RIROCKHOUND
11-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Rebaalk..
I think some people over trust their Korkers, I cant fish.live w/o them, but... there is a limit to how much they hold....
B

spence
11-02-2004, 08:48 AM
I find the studs on my boots hold better than korkers on smooth rock. Being nimble seems to outweigh the longer spikes as long as you're not on the weeds...

-spence

NIB
11-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Joe
I once stepped on a flat concrete bridge support that was tilted down like a wedge....
Went flying.....:smash: :smash:
They don't hold at all on untextured concrete

Here in jersey when the redid the manasquan inlet they made these Giant concrete jacks called Dolces an installed them out front i learned they don't hold on concrete the hard way there.kinda stinks its a real pain to get out there know.I never used to have as much trouble as I do recently with the korkers an slippage I think pushin 255 lbs is part of the problem u can only ask a little stud to do so much.

reebok
11-03-2004, 09:33 AM
I can't remember ever sliding in studded felts. Or maybe I did but just wasn't surprised by it. I think they are pretty good.